1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma - Audio Delays with DVD and Sky...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Scotty Boy, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey.

Basically, a lady and gent bought a plasma from my store (comet) I'm only a part time boy, and it wasn't even my sale. But, when they bring a surround sound kit into the equation, they get lip sync from their sky box. And then from their DVDs, (though not as bad)

Why is this? They've bought the Samsung 42" (around £1500, model eludes me)

And more importantly, are there any surround kits that aren't affected? Either DVD all in one jbobbies, or seperates?

Keeping budget down as low as possible too.

Any help?

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    The delay is caused by the length of time it takes for the picture to be processed and displayed. Not everyone notices it and, indeed, not everyone gets it. I don't notice it at all on DVD's on my Hitachi and have only had it twice from Sky (strangely enough both times on Sky+ recordings of Coronation Street).

You can get amplifiers (I know Denon and Arcam offer this feature and there are probable many more) that allow you to add audio delays to compensate but they tend to be more expensive. There is a company that I can't remember the name of that does a seperate box that enables you to control the audio delay (I'm sure someone else on hear will be able to point you in the right direction) but AFAIK, it costs a couple of hundred pounds.

HTH

John

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    John is right on the money, I'm afraid there's no good news for your customers here. If the surround kit offers speaker distance setup, you can sometimes fool it into offering just enough audio delay to get around it. Tell it the centre speaker is 10cm, and the surrounds are a million miles. Obviously this compromises other aspects of surround sound, but it might be the best of a bad job, and they will likely not notice the 'bad' bits if they've not had surround before.

4. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i have a yamaha 750 se but no plasma and the ausio delay does nothing for the lipsync problems i have and to make matter worse the old sony 830 which i sold was rock solid and had no audio delays at all in over 4 years use.big thumbs up for yamaha :mad:

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you have an audio delay feature on any AV amp, something is wrong if it won't fix the issue.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The problem with using a delay device is that many people have reported that the lip-sync delay is variable.

Like Johndon, I have never seen it on DVD's with my Hitachi 5300, and I see it occasionally on Sky+, usually on the lower quality channels like ITV2 and ITV3. ITV3 is so bad at times, I sometimes suspect that they are using a Pentium III as an MPEG encoder :)

7. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers for the advice.
    I'll pop in the all in one section to see if anyone has some advice on a surround sound that offers delays on speakers.

Oh btw, i've actually noticed it on my plasma too, on my Denon amp, i've tried the lip sync delay, but it kind of made it worse too. :thumbsdow

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    getting the timing right is very very hard I really only find it an Issue on DTS DVD........

9. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    There's nothing worse than gettin lip-sync problems! Delays from your amp should correct this, although i've only had it once on my setup, and that was with a (hu-hum) SVCD.

It makes it unwatchable in my opinion. Crazy or Paranoid (*delete as appropriate) i always watch the mouths for the first few minutes of a film to check it's all good. :)