1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma at 1080 fo 720 etc

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MrDemon, Dec 7, 2004.

1. MrDemon

MrDemon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok so most plasma's run at 800 x 600

good business ones run at 1024 x 768

so how the hell can we display hdtv ??

thats 1920x1080

for best pic you run at the native rate of your screen so on the new panasonic thats 1024x768

so any thing with more res is lost.

then DVI can only put out 1600x1200 which is way short too unless you have
    Dual-Link which i see no cards doing.

please help me have I got all this wrong ??

D

2. Krance

Krance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My understanding is that 1920x1080 scaled down to 1024 x 768 is a lot better..... higher information to fit in a smaller space = higher definition, no...?

I don't think it is even decided if HDTV will be at 1920 x 1080 yet as Sky in the UK are looking at lower res or so I have heard

3. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes, there are the scaling issues - downscaling is preferable to upscaling (better to filter out excessive information, than to generate new information based on what is already there).

But there is also the question of the quality of the content itself - you are looking at higher bitrate and/or better compression techniques. If the quality of the images is improved regardless of the resolution used, then the result is going to be better, regardless of the scaling.

And don't forget that HDTV specifies a (copy protected) digital interface - which is better than the D/A - A/D process. I suspect that the main reason why the Viera draws good comments for it's Freeview quality (panel aside) is that it can have a direct digital feed to the rest of the processing circuitry.

4. MrDemon

MrDemon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "My understanding is that 1920x1080 scaled down to 1024 x 768 is a lot better"

How can it be that means u lose infomation !!

yes its 100x better than upscaling (that sucks for picture quallity)

even if sky do 720 HDTV the consumer Plasma's fall way sort in the resolution.

Viera is only 850 or some thing lol those poor soles are screwed for HDTV

5. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The point wasn't to say that it is better to downscale than display the full resolution - rather that it is better to downscale than upscale.

852 is the horizontal resolution of the Viera. 720 is the vertical resolution of HDTV (the vertical of the Viera - and other SD panels - is 480).

If you only have an SD panel, that doesn't necessarily mean that you are screwed for HDTV - providing the input is accepted, you can still get a healthy improvement in the image quality. It's just not the full benefit.

Unfortunately, because the Viera doesn't have digital inputs, then those owners are a bit screwed when it comes to HDTV - although there is a somewhat dubious DVI->VGA convertor mentioned on another thread.

6. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was pretty sure the main benefit of HDTV was the 720P setting anyway. Meaning there would be no problem with pioneers for example.
    I've tried HDTV on a couple of ALIS panels and was impressed, and was blown away by the pioneers, but the Viera although good compared to normal just wasn't in the same league with HDTV signal!

7. PTG

PTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried 1:1 mapping on my SD Panel for Sky. I then played around with different settings and I get a better picture when I set my Iscan HD to 720p.

Higher output then scaled down! :smashin: