1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma aspect ratio options

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by eddyad, Dec 27, 2004.

1. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I currently have a Sony widescreen TV and a Freeview set top box. The TV is set so that all digital WS programs automatically display in 16:9 format and all digital and analogue 4:3 programs in 14:9 format, regardless of source - TV tuner or AV inputs.
    The 14:9 option makes better use of the screen with minimum loss of image - just a small amount top and bottom, sometimes no loss at all as many 4:3 programs have narrow black bands top and bottom.

Apart from Sony are there any other Plasma TVs which will do this? I've downloaded some manuals and it seems that the only options for 4:3 transmissions are: 4:3 with wide side bands, 'Zoom' with significant top and bottom loss to fit screen width or 'Smart' with progressive widening of the sides of the image (and presumably black bands top and bottom when the 4:3 image would have them).
    The 14:9 option should work for AV inputs as well as inbuilt tuner(s).

Am I asking for the impossible or just a Sony?

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    The Hitachi 42PD5300 has a 14:9 mode as well as a 14:9 zoom mode.

John

3. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mine's a Hitachi 42PD5200 and it has all the zoom modes you could want.

I'm using the 'panoramic' mode for all 4:3 broadcasts. It chops a little off the top and bottom (so little you'd never see it), keeps the middle undistorted, and stretches the sides out to fill the screen. It works brilliantly, and as my plasma's brand new it's important to keep the screen filled as much as possible to prevent screen burn. If you are going to have bars either side, make sure they're grey and not black.

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks. My Sony's 'Smart' is the same as Zoom then, but I think I prefer the 14:9 option. 4:3 by itself looks like an island even on a 32" TV.

So my next question - is the Hitachi Plasma good quality/value. We also has a normal Hitachi 28"WS TV and that's OK.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The Hitachi has won lots of awards. The price is a little higher than some other makes.