Plasma as PC monitor..?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by SimonO, Sep 24, 2003.

1. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I've put a deposit down on a PDP-504HDE and I'm interested in the possibility of using it for occasional web browsing... My PC could be relocated to a room adjacent to the plasma screen, so firstly what is the best way to connect a second (plasma) monitor..? Secondly, what is the best way to connect a keyborad and mouse remotely..? And thirdly the VGA cable run would be approx. 15m, is this too long..?

Anyone with experience..? :confused:

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    15m will be OK on VGA, it sounds long but I've run 25m before now. You can either use a dual output graphics card, or get a Kramer VGA distribution amp. It copes with 1 or 2 or in fact more monitors, turned on or off, very unfussy. They are about £150 I think. You need an RF keyboard and mouse, partly cos it's the only way, and partly cos it's very cool in your armchair. think about an rf joystick as well if you're inclined that way. The mouse you want is the gyration one, others, generally are pants. Try the HCPC forum for more info.

3. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have the Gyration keyboard and mouse suite and I can't recomment it highly enough.

Cheaper than Microsoft's bluetooth effort, same range and 100% reliable. It uses the built-in HID drivers in Wondows, so it is totally plug'n'play. Plus the mouse works in mid-air. How cool is that?!

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    My point precisely, and it works as an ordinary mouse too, I have the logitek rf joystick, works a treat with MS flight sim and my projector.

5. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I wonder what "Wondows" is..?

6. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks for the input... The Gyration looks like what I'm after...

7. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    For my plasma PC, I use Fanatec Gameboard Controller.

This keyboard and mouse combination can be found in UK from http://www.bigbeninteractive.co.uk/accessories_details.asp?accessoriesID=1046
    although designed for PS2 it works perfectly with PC via USB, and even has a built in analogue joystick.

Oh and it's got a long USB lead because it's designed as lap keyboard/mouse sat far away from PC/PS2.

I use Gameboard for gaming and surfing, found that radio mouse/keyboard can interfer with PQ and sound quality (unless one has anti EMI/RFI powerleads and interconnects) and that mouse update over radio is too slow for frag-fest games that I like to play.

It works really well, you don't need a table or anything -- can just sprawl on couch/sofa and use PC.

StooMonster

8. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks StooMonster... It just gets better, and I thought my Logitech RF PS2 controller was cool..! What is the length of the USB cable (my sofa will be 15' + from my PS2)..? I assume if you plug it into a PC, being USB, it doesn't conflict with the standard keyboard and mouse..?

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    No conflicts, max cable length 5 m. You may need to install it on a shorter cable, sometimes they don't get recognised on the max length. It's going to be marginal for you I should think. The wireless option is probably best in your circumstances.

10. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    The USB cable on the Fanatec Gameboard is 4 metres long, full specs are on that link above.

If you don't like the mouse that comes with it, it has a PS2 socket so you can replace it with another one you do like.

Honestly for PC on plasma it's great because keyboard and mouse sit on your lap and you don't need to rest them on a tea-tray or the like, or even on a coffee table in front of you inducing back ache.

Slob out with the Fanatec!

StooMonster

11. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    whatever you do avoid the MS bluetooth keyboard it sucks.

Neil.

12. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  13. whuuf

whuuf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can you have a pc tft screen through dvi and a plasma through VGA connected in your graphics card at the same time and working, or will you have to unplug one?

14. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have both working at the same time... depends on your video card, nearly all new video cards now support this.

Neil.

15. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in a similiar but slightly different situation - I've got the Pioneer PDP-434HDE on its way and would also like to use it as a monitor. The plan is this: I buy a new PC for the study and move the old PC to the front room where the plasma is. The monitor recently went kaput, so the plasma screen would be its only monitor.

I want to use wireless networking so both computers can connect to my cable broadband internet (from blueyonder), and I want to use a wireless keyboard and mouse as I want to hide the hard drive away out of sight. Any advice on the above would be much appreciated, as I'm totally out of touch with the latest computer innovations.

The other questions I have are whether I can simply connect up the computer to the plasma and expect it to work, how I do this (basic I know) and whether I would have to upgrade this PC (an 800) to Windows XP from Windows 98 to make this work (which would slow it down) - and whether I need to do that anyway to make the wireless network tally with the new computer.

16. whuuf

whuuf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cheers neil,

my graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 500, any idea what the feature is called so I can look it up?

17. ziocleto

ziocleto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep as Neil said, I've got exactly the same confiduration, it works all right.

(Actually I've got even more, first pc -> plasma RGB1, second pc -> plasma RGB2, second PC -> TFT DVI input)

Using Radeon 9800 graphic card.

18. ziocleto

ziocleto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you've got 2 outputs from your graphics card, DVI and VGA, then just enable the second monitor from screen properties.

19. whuuf

whuuf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok cheers, i'll check that out on the pc at home later. Have you found much difference in quality between the dvi and vga through your pc's?

20. bedders

bedders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello,

Anyone know where you can buy the Gyration Ultra GT Compact Keyboard Suite in the UK ?

I doubt they do, but would there be the UK keybaord version available ?

Cheers,

Nik

21. ziocleto

ziocleto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got them with a vga input anyway, I've just used the small DVI-VGA adaptor that came with the radeon.
    So I cant tell.

22. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering if any of you and kind and helpful people can help me with these questions, which got a bit lost as this thread changed tack. Thanks.

23. ziocleto

ziocleto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is almost the same configuration that I've got, but what's exactly your question?

Yes it should work straighforward, you'll have just to adjust, eventually, your screen refresh frequency.
    I'd suggest you to use XP anyway, it has got a lot of support with DX9 and some fancy video-filtering thingie.
    (Also with XP you can automatically configure a bridge between your cable/wireless networks, and this HELPS)