Plasma as a PC monitor?

ADJ2014

I have a TX-P50GT60 and I tried connecting it to my PC via HDMI and couldn't get it to work. Any ideas if it's supposed to work? Thanks.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
It should work fine.

Did you switch off the PC before plugging it in? I have found some PCs will not activate the HDMI unless you re-boot them connected to a valid HDMI device.

ADJ2014

It should work fine.

Did you switch off the PC before plugging it in? I have found some PCs will not activate the HDMI unless you re-boot them connected to a valid HDMI device.

I tried that. Still doesn't work. :(

I find no setting on the TV itself. I try switching to all HDMI inputs but can't find the signal. Only my Bluray player which is connected to HDMI 1.

Siochain

Where are you connecting the HDMI cable on the PC. If you have a CPU with an iGPU are you connecting to the HDMI connection on the IO section. If so is the CPU iGPU disabled?

If you're using a discrete GPU (AMD or Nvidia?) is the HDMI cable connected to the Discrete GPU. You may need to temporarily set up your monitor alongside your TV with both the TV and monitor connected to your PC. Then Go into the GPU control panel and see is the TV available in display selection.

I occassionly use my PC with my PDP and it works fine when connected on it's own, but when I have my two other displays connected to the PC the plasma needs to be selected manually as the primary Display.

I take it you've used the HDMI cable with other devices and it's fine?

ADJ2014

I'm just connecting it to my graphics card (Nvidia). If I go to the Nvidia control panel I can't see the Plasma to select it, neither can I in Windows control panel. I only see my computer screen. I click detect and it can't find the plasma either. Thanks.

Siochain

That's strange. Perhaps the HDMI connection is faulty on the GPU, Hopefully not. Does your monitor have a HDMI connection or do you have any other displays that have a HDMI connection to test the GPU's HDMI output?

Do you have a DVI to HDMI cable, that would be another option although DVI doesn't carry Audio.
I take it the HDMI sockets on your PDP are fine with other Devices?

ADJ2014

The HDMI on the graphics card is working. Tested it with other monitors.

My Bluray player is connected to the plasma with HDMI and it works fine.

Siochain

So you've had the BD player connected to the other HDMI connections and it's fine?
If that's the case then it looks to be a handshaking issue. Have you got the latest Nvidia drivers installed.

Siochain

Don't use windows to update your GPU Driver :). It will tell you that it's the best driver Regardless of how old the Driver is. Get it direct from Nvidia. Link . Just select your GPU and OS from the list.

There is a Beta driver available that is excellent but stick with the 335.23 WHQL for the time being. If you want to check your current driver in the Nvidia control panel just select the help section and click on system information

Although unlikely to fix your issue it's worth a shot.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom