1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma and Telewest

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by sifijg, May 26, 2005.

1. sifijg

sifijg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Just wanted to know what people's experience with using Telewest with a 42" plasma are.

The picture quality on my current CRT is lacklustre to say the least, so I'm wondering whether it's worth the upgrade. I know their new PVR is coming soon which might usher in some HDTV possibilities, but current reception is grainy.

Any advice?

2. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have a pio435FDE at the moment having retired off the Sony 28" WEGA to my parents. Telewest looked brill on the CRT as you should expect it too. The only issues I have with telewest on the plasma is on the lower bitrate stuff, eastenders, corrie etc. Its all down to personal taste really, If you can accept that by making the picture bigger your bound also to make the defects bigger too.

Im suprised you say its rubbish on a CRT..... have you checked all the connections on the feed, make sure they are sound. Are you using RGB scarts and the relevant menus changed on the STB and the TV to send and recieve RGB? Im assuming you are using SCART rather than coax from the STB to the TV.

Terrestrial signal here is good so sometimes watch that through the plasma and in honesty that is good too, same as telewest. Im guessing you may have interfernce or something

Steve

3. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I also used to get a very variable picture with Telewest on my CRT which was a 32" Loewe Xelos. The higher bitrate programmes looked stunning, but lower bitrate programmes were awful. For example, Star Trek on Sky One was often quite poor.

I now have a 42" Panasonic PWD6 and I get exactly the same. The higher bitrate stuff such as BBC1 documentaries in anamorphic widescreen look stunning, but poorer bitrate stuff shows lots of artefacts. The bigger screen does magnify the artefacts and a poor picture on a CRT looks awful on the plasma.

However, overall Telewest is quite watchable on a plasma and some programmes do look stunning. I watch all my TV via TiVo which degrades the picture slightly, but I'm still pleased with the quality. I was expecting much worse when I first got my plasma, but it turned out a lot better.

Any problems with the Telewest picture quality is far more than made up for with the wonderful picture quality of DVD movies on a big screen. The picture quality of DVDs is just as good as I had on my CRT with the benefit of a much bigger screen.

Teresa

4. the highlander

the highlander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ditto what the person above said :D but i use a RGB to Component (YUV) Video Converter HERE and it improves the picture even more :thumbsup: i highly recommend this as it WILL improve your cable/sky picture Q

5. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I actually use a JS Tech RGB to VGA converter and that gives a slightly better picture than the Panasonic scart. However, the benefit of doing it this way depends on the plasma. The panasonic scart boards are notorious for being bad, whereas the Vieras are supposed to be better.

Teresa

6. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Also, don't forget that if you don't use a scart, you'll lose auto aspect ratio switching which drove me bonkers. So I bought the Aspect Switcher box and this works very well.

Teresa

7. DAS

DAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 37" plasma and was impressed with the Telewest picture from day one. Having read of a few Sky users with less than perfect pictures, I was ready for poor PQ, but I continue to be impressed.

8. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I have Telewest into the Keene Altus1 RGB to component convertor. It was a huge improvement over the raw RGB into my 32pd5200. I suspect the scart input into the Hitachis is poor also.