1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma and scart switching

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TheBigApple, Mar 15, 2003.

1. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I currently use a B-tech manual scart switching sevice to switch between Sky,PS2 and Gamecube all going into my Pioneer 433HDE.
    I do notice a lot of interference which disapears when the devices are not running through the B-tech switcher.
    I have looked through various threads and am looking at the following.

Argos scart switch box - I feel this might have the same interference problem.

Quintro - I've seen some negative comments about sound distortion and dodgy build quality.

Keene Scart commander - Seems do be ok, but very expensive.

Comments from anyone who uses any of these devices with a 42" or 50" plasma would be appreciated.

Cheers

2. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Perhaps a silly question.. but are you using all three scarts on the media tuner box? I guess what I am trying to say is if you have something like a VCR connected you can loop it through the Sky box and free one scart... I also have the HDE model. I use a dvd player, 3 satellite recievers, Freeview box and two VCRs with no need of a switch box.

3. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes I am using all three scarts.

Scart 1 - Sky, PS2 and Gamecube all outputing RGB

Scart 2 - Vcr outputing composite

Scart 3 - DVD outputing RGB

I find Sky and DVD need to have different picture settings i.e brightness, contrast, sharpness etc, hence the reason they are conected to different inputs.

I may be wrong on this one but if I looped my VCR through the Sky box would I not have to keep changing the input type e.g RGB, A/V.

4. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Yes, this true you will have to switch the RGB to A/V for the VCR.
    In my case I tend to leave on A/V which means watching Sky in A/V in general but changing it for an event that I really follow e.g. a film or a sports event.

Another suggestion is if your DVD player has component inputs use input 3 for component leaving input3 scart 3 free. I am using such a configuration but of course you have to select again according to what you are watching (component DVD or other RGB source).

Sorry I have not used any of the scart switches you mention. Personally I do not like them but I am sure some users must be around to comment further.

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    "Argos scart switch box - I feel this might have the same interference problem"

I use one of these. I have my xbox, NTL digital and DVD connected to it then the switch connected to my scan RGB scart component converter to the plasma screen.

It does not produce any interference. And there is not difference in quality between direct connect to any of the devices / through the switch. ANd I am ultra picky and would notice.

If you do a search Dr John from JS speaks quite highly of this device. I seem to remember him saying that as it is a hardware switch there is no noticable loss of quality .

I have decided I am going to buy another one as a back up in case this one goes or they stop doing the model I have. At £10 you cant go wrong really.