1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma and progressive scan?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by guyb, May 30, 2005.

1. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi All

I have a bit of a stupid question.

I am thinking on either buying a Panasonic TH37PW7 for £1000 or buying a friends few year old 42" LG plasma for £500.

The LG has component inputs - does that mean that is does progressive scan?

Guy

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    All plasma screens (except ones that have ALIS technology....but lets not go there) work progressively(that is to say the all de-interlace any interlaced signals and display them progressively). With a progressive source you are just changing where the de-interlacing from interlace to progressive happens. Sometimes it's better in the display than in the source. There are lots of other factors that affect the performance of the image you see on screen, not just the de-interlacing.

The LG probably accepts a few progressive signals through its component input. If ou post the model number there may be some users here who can advise

Gordon

3. garysevern

garysevern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Are you using a plasma progressivly if you feed it via DVI/HDMI ???

Thanks.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    gary DVi and HDMi are generally progressive outputs 480p 576p and 720p but not exclusively, 1080i is interlaced. So it depends more on the signal you are outputting than the cable on which it travels

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    YES: Plasma's work progressively. Our old CRT tv's worked interlaced. They would draw a half resolution field then the next 50th of a second they would draw the next set of lines. Plasma's (except ALIS as mentioned above) do not work this way. They have to light up all their pixels in one go. The method used to take these half resolution interlaced fields and create a full resolution frame (2 fields) varies between devices (both sources and displays).

www.progressivescan.co.uk should explain a little about this. There is more to it al than meets the eye and I am being very simplistic in my description above.

DVI and HDMI are just connector and transmission standards. DVI and HDMI can be used to transmit both interlaced and progressive signals. If they are interlaced when they reach a plasma then, more often than not, they are de-interlaced and shown progressively. This is true for virtually all fixed pixel devices (ie DLP projectors/tv's and LCD projectors/TV'S)

Gordon

6. garysevern

garysevern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My DVD Player (Linn Unidisk 1.1) has component and DVI-D(HDCP) outputs. Users on the Linn forum have confirmed that PQ via the DVI-D connection are noiticeby better than component so when my 42PV500 arrives tomorrow I'm connecting via DVI-D > HDMI cable. I was just wondering if I needed to set any of the progressive settings on the Unidisk (Currently connected to a SONY 32" CRT via S-video).

7. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Gary,

Some of the people on the Topica Linn group have found problems with the DVI output on the UniDisk, although these seem to be resolved if going through a lumagen or similar. It seems as though there is a digital "handshake" issue, made worse by the latest revision of the Unidisk software. You may be fine, but you may find component a better connection initially.

8. garysevern

garysevern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think that was a projector problem but we'll sure see tomorrow. I'll post back.

9. garysevern

garysevern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Unidisk 1.1 >> 42PV500 via DVI-D to HDMI works fine. In fact much better than fine :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: