1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma and Gaming ('Burn' etc) Pioneer PDP436XDETA

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Dodge, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Dodge

Dodge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got any thoughts on the issue of burn on plasma screens from gaming?
    With the XBOX360 due soon, I was thinking about getting a new tv to boot.(Give the old credit card a right good hammering!)
    Maybe a Panasonic TH42PV500 or a Pioneer PDP436XDETA.
    Have burn issues been exaggerated? Do I need an LCD tv?
    Is anyone gaming on a plasma?
    Any thoughts anyone?
    Many thanks!

2. Zebadee69

Zebadee69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi Dodge,

I've recently installed the 436XDE and my kids and myself have been playing on the Xbox in Hi-Def modes, looks fantastic and not the slight bit of image retention, although I only let the kids play on it for a couple of hours at a time, not because of the worry of image retention, just the house rules when it comes to game consoles. I imagine playing for long periods of time, before running in, could be a problem but I'm no expert, just going on info I've read on these forums.

It definitely enhances gameplay watching on a large screen plasma and the Panny or Pio you mention wont disappoint.

3. nightsoil

nightsoil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Don't forget on the Pioneer you can set it to turn off after 3 hours automatically (as long as it has received no commands from the remote)

4. kentlad

kentlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I also have the 436xde, running xbox with Hi Def kit, Gaiden black, Fifa 06 look spot on. However noticed in the manual that it recommends setting the display to game mode when using consoles etc. This however really knocks down the quality, brightness way down, text not at all sharp. (Still out of the box settings), does the standard mode really risk damaging the display? Does this mode actually do anything apart from lower brightness etc?

5. spanna

spanna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    have any of you used that pixel shifting thing?
    How does that work?

6. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Thanks for the PM but i noticed this thread so i'll answer you here.

Plasmas are a little prone to screen burn or image retention when new but it's nothing to really worry about if you use your panel wisely for the first 200hrs by setting the contrast and brightness to a low setting and be a little careful with still images.

You may notice a little screen burn with fixed images from consoles but they disappear quite quickly when you use normal TV.

I've had a few panels and never suffered from any retention.

Pixel shifting function will move the whole onscreen image a few pixels in any direction to help with reducing image retention.

Dr.

7. spanna

spanna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    So does it just shift the pixels then back again quickly?
    Do people use it or is a gimmick?
    Cheers

8. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    No, the pixels are fixed, it shifts the whole image a few pixels left then after a set time shifts to the right then up then down etc...

I've not used it on the other panel i had with this feature, the 435 does not have it at all.

Don't really know if anyone uses it but i don't think so, from what i can remember it was quite annoying seeing the image move about every 30 seconds or so.

Use it if you want.

9. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Ive started playing a little bit off the Xbox on the PV500 and no problems at all. Im sure either Pioneer/Panny can handle it fine.