Plasma and console gaming???

If you considered the commercial panny panel then you could probably go up to the 42 as it has similar if not smaller dimensions to the 37 Vierra. Having said that you would need an AV Amp and Speakers and to be using Sky or an external tuner source.

Sorry, don't mean to cause any further indecision but if you are after maximum screen size then this is a very good option if you are ok using and AV Amp and speakers when watching TV.

I've had a Panasonic TH37PE30 for knocking on 3.5 years now and although it's only an SD panel I've had absolutely no screenburn issues at all - and the consoles look great on it too.

Kwozzii

just wanted to say thanks to everyone for this thread as I've add similar questions and continually get told in stores I should go LCD for gaming....even when I have mentioned burn-in is reaslly only an issue with older sets the shops still seem to want to push LCD even though they will admit when pushed that plasma is more comparable with CRT quality (particularly for SD)

on top of what has already been said it feels like LCD is being sold purley on the fact that 1080p is more easily available and the misunderstanding that it is without reservation better than 720p for any HD set

so I've been deliberating for probably best part of a year and finally think I'm going to go for the 37" panny plasma too!

cheers all

PS: if anyone wants to add me as a friend on xbox live then feel free to PM me! I play lots of FPS....COD3, GOW...and soon Halo3 :)

Precisely my worry with Plasmas.

I game a fair amount and use the TV for Sky Sports News and footy mainly outside of that. Worries me that these are the perfect conditions to ruin it.

I watch a lot of movies with the misses, which does make them sound appealing.

Can I ask a question without being stoned? lol

If Plasma is so clearly superior to LCD, why do so many people purchase LCD's for equal or een more money than Plasmas seem to be?

You might as well ask, "Why did the Spice Girls sell so many records?"

Forget screen burn.

Loss of detail/blur on fast camera pans on fast scrolling games like FPS or footy games is the biggest issue for me when gaming with these flat panels.

I found plasma better than lcd in this respect, but nowhere near the amount of detail a CRT can retain during pans/fast movement. Anything more than a slow pan results in the lovely HD textures and detail becoming fogged over.

My expereinces with gaming on HD plasma

Plasma

static images = HD resolution... excellent

slow moving/panning = SD resolution.... average

medium and fast moving/panning = blur, well below SD resolution.... poor

Until I'm seeing HD detail and resolution on all types of movment and panning i won't be upgrading.

My PX70 is OK for gaming but not great due to the above, there is some minor green trailing rarely, but you have to look for it. The detail loss during panning is my biggest gripe but i see this with all flat panels with LCD's fairing worse. I still prefer playing Pro Evo and some fast FPS on my SD CRT due to this as it handles fast pans far better.

As an overall TV its very good for the money, nice natural picture with little tweaking, good on even poor sources, good blacks and natural colours.

There seems to be a lot of screen burn concerns on this forum of late.... To add my tuppence worth one of our contact centre sites has over 30 x 42" LG Flatrons and 6 x 37" Panny PW7s and despite the LGs being on almost continuously over a 5 year period (the PW7s 2-3 years) screenburn is only a very slight issue on one or two. Given that they are displaying Windows XP framed semi static info boards I think that's enough to inspire my confidence in plasmas! Particularly given these are now old technology panels.

BYF - I play Pro Evo on my pioneer 428xd and I can't see what you are seeing. Everything is as sharp when its moving as when it's not moving. Maybe try tweaking your settings. IMO it's an LCD problem

Hmm, I just returned a samsung c96hd plasma to currys(not due to quality, but a fault with the set itself), and although the TV itself looked AMAZING, there was a little retention after playing motorstorm on PS3 for about ten minutes. It did clear when I used the 'white out' technology. but i have to say it may me wary of plasmas for gaming.
What I need to know is, is it an unfounded worry? (and should gaming be avoided for the first 100 or so hours anyway?)

P.S. I should say I'm considering getting the 50" Q97 from comet, does anyone know how well this set deals with games/image retention?

My mate plays the Wii on his Q97 all the time

the fact you got retention after 10 minutes is unusual (although that was on a cheaper screen) - bet it was in dynamic mode etc.

I've been asking the same question lately as we're looking to upgrade from our battletank of a Sony Wega CRT 32" to a 42 or 50" plasma.

After a little reading and independent research, I would definitely sway towards plasma for >32" screens. Here's a useful link:

http://www.bada.co.uk/features8.html

:)

He said I should buy an LCD for gaming as the plasma sets still suffer from screen burn

That is c*ck. I play GTA games on my plasma for hours on end; the kids play with the Wii similarly. I have what is a relatively old plasma (bought in Feb 2003) and I have had no screen burn whatsoever.

I've had my Sammy 50Q97 for about 3 months and have stopped being paranoid about screen burn. I've had a little retention after a few hours playing, which has gone after (at the very most) 5 mins of screen wash. But sometimes even having the TV menus up shows a tiny bit of retention. The biggest worry I have is with the interactive TV icons on some BBC channels (esp. CBeebies) but even this isn't a big deal.

The best thing is to take care of the screen by not bieng stupid, but not worry and enjoy it.

I've had my Sammy 50Q97 for about 3 months and have stopped being paranoid about screen burn. I've had a little retention after a few hours playing, which has gone after (at the very most) 5 mins of screen wash. But sometimes even having the TV menus up shows a tiny bit of retention. The biggest worry I have is with the interactive TV icons on some BBC channels (esp. CBeebies) but even this isn't a big deal.

The best thing is to take care of the screen by not bieng stupid, but not worry and enjoy it.

that is my concern also

my son watches allot of the same programs on cbeebies and nick jnr which permenatly have the logo on the screen, sometimes hours on end

i have not yet bought a plasma but the more i think about it , as it will be used for the main tv, kids watching there programs, footy and playing on xbox 360

the static images are often on the tv channels he watches

that is my concern also

my son watches allot of the same programs on cbeebies and nick jnr which permenatly have the logo on the screen, sometimes hours on end

i have not yet bought a plasma but the more i think about it , as it will be used for the main tv, kids watching there programs, footy and playing on xbox 360

the static images are often on the tv channels he watches

My advice is not to worry - I've kept a close eye on it and really don't think it's a problem. There are a range of things you can do if it does start to be a problem, but I've gone looking for one and haven't found it.

I'm planning on taking the plasma / LCD plunge and I have a question about connecting an XBox 360 to a plasma...

On an 1366 x 768 LCD it's simple enough, set the res in the xbox and connect via vga and job done.

On a 1024 x 768 panel what resolution would you set the xbox 360 to for the correct aspect ratio for games and HD DVD drive?

Ignore post, use "search" before posting, found what I needed here:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536965&highlight=xbox+360+resolution+1024+768

Cheers
Paul

The biggest worry I have is with the interactive TV icons on some BBC channels (esp. CBeebies) but even this isn't a big deal.

These non channel logo icons can be easily removed from the bbc channels, simply press the green button on the remote and its gone.

These non channel logo icons can be easily removed from the bbc channels, simply press the green button on the remote and its gone.

On Sky, there is an option to auto-hide them after a few minutes.

That is c*ck. I play GTA games on my plasma for hours on end; the kids play with the Wii similarly. I have what is a relatively old plasma (bought in Feb 2003) and I have had no screen burn whatsoever.

My friend has a 3 month old Samsung plasma (don't know the model number) and when I was round at his the other week he had the most horrendous screen burn in the bottom left corner, like ghostly images of words. He hasn't noticed it and I daren't tell him (he plays a lot of games), but it's put me off plasma a bit.

I don't like the blurring on LCD (eg Ridge Racer6 on XBox 360 has what looks like motion blur applied to it if you stare at the background when turning corners - on a CRT it's perfectly smooth due to the vertical blanking). I think my friend's plasma was better in this regard...

Blimey! I never knew that. Thanks!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom