1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma and 2-channel HiFi (Newbie)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bennem, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Bennem

Bennem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am a hifi nut but want to get a plasma screen to get rid of the big TV box. I have no interest in the full "cinema" experience but want the convenience of a flat panel TV which I aim to wall mount.

The HiFi equipment relevant to this query is a Mark Levinson No.383 amplifier, Mark Levinson No. 39 CD player (it can take digital inputs/outputs), ProAc Response 1.5 speakers.

I want to run my sky box (possibly upgrading to Sky + soon), Xbox, VCR and DVD to the plasma and use the HiFi for simple 2 channel sound.

Is this possible?
    Is it sensible?
    Is this easy?

Also what is the best way to hide cabling? I am happy to chase out the plasterboard wall but would ideally like to hide the TV bits in a cupboard away from the plasma and hifi. Can the wall support a wall mounted 42" plasma? Is there a maximum cable run without using signal amplifiers and things?

Sorry if this info is on a FAQ somewhere. If so just direct me to its location.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    This is all perfectly possible, usual even. What you will need though is a video switch of some sort, a quintro scart switcher springs to mind. That way you might not have to bury quite so many cables. This job is normally done by the AV amplifier, but I think you will be best off with a panel with a scart connection and a component video input. You can run the DVD to component, and all else via RGB scart, except the VCR of course, which is composite only. You are unlikely to find this satisfactory, sky+ is the answer. The wall can support your screen as long as there is some wood in there somewhere, ideally your cables will be no more than 5m, and you would need to spend some money on the scart lead, though there might be other ways once you have narrowed down your choice of screen. I assume you are happy, even wanting to use your hi fi for all sound?

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    What sort of budget are you looking at as there are some special options to consider....

4. Bennem

Bennem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    MAW: I do not want to have another set of audio/AV equipment that just won't give the type of sound that I am looking for without spending a large sum of money therefore I want to use the current audio gear unless you are telling me that there is risk of damage to the equipment?

hornydragon: I am willing to spend upto £5k including installation (chasing walls, fitting sockets and cabling)

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    With 5k you can have almost whatever you like, 50" included, if no sound components are required. A suggestion, a Panasonic TH50PHD7, a quintro scart switch, a JS tech RGB to VGA converter, a BNC component video board and a wall mount. A universal remote might make it all wife friendly. There is no risk of equipment damage, was just checking whether putting speakers on the plasma was desirable or not.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    42" PHD7 and Iscan HD scaler switch even squeeze a 50 and Iscan out at that money i reconmend you have a chat with a few local dealers ( and then a few proper ones like MAW/JOE/Alistair/Gordon)