1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma advice for dummies!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TWOFISH, Nov 24, 2004.

1. TWOFISH

TWOFISH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi
    I am new to this site. I was in the process of buying a sony kd32dx200, not really considering a plasma, thought one was out of my price bracket. I have seen this offer at AV for panasonic th-42pw7b at £1654.00. I am not actually sure what I will get for my money. Can I buy this and just plug it in, connect my home theatre system and dvd, or do I have to purchase a tuner, a device to receive analogue systems and so on. Appologies for my ignorance but I haven't got a clue, plus the kids are giving me an earbashing to buy a big screen. Any advice would be a great help

Thanks

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The PW7 is only a monitor and as such can do nothing on its own...this is not necessarily a bad thing and in my book is a good thing.

If you have Sky, Cable or Freeview then you really do not need a built-in tuner.

If your DVD player has component output then you really are laughing.

Get the PW7 along with a component input board…ignore the SCART option as it’s not that good…also get a JS Tech RGB to VGA converter.

Then connect you DVD player directly to the component board and your Sky, Cable or Freeview box to the PW7’s VGA connector via the JS Tech box.

This should give you the best picture from both sources.

If you kids, or you, have a Xbox or other games console then you should be able to get a component cable for it and route it through your AV amplifier along with the DVD player.

The PW7 is the best plasma in this price range.

Cheers, Lee

3. TWOFISH

TWOFISH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Lee, I am about 100% more knowlegeable now

Steve

4. Fozz

Fozz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Good reply Loonatic!

Here, so I understand how the Cable/Sky and the DVD get their pictures to the screen, but what about the sound?

I assume we need an AV-Receiver and the sound goes into that and the speakers connect to that but can you expand on what connectors we use to get the sound from the Cable/Sky and the DVD to the speakers?

Cheers :smashin:
    Ciaran.

5. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well for audio it really depends on what specific equipment you have.

Firstly you will need an AV amplifier and if you can stretch to it one that supports both component inputs and one which will up-convert composite and svideo to component thus meaning only one lead from the amp to the display for video.

Also look out for one with an audio delay feature built-in as lip sync can be an issue with plasmas due to the extra processing involved in displaying an image.

For Sky, Cable or Freeview you are normally limited to a simple Left/Right RCA audio connection to the amp...if you have Sky+ then you have the option to use an optical digital connection to the amp.

Most DVD players will offer the option of either a co-axial or optical digital connection...most people seem to rate co-axial over optical.

Cheers, Lee

6. Fozz

Fozz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Loonatic.....good info, cheers :thumbsup: .

OK, here is what I am looking at.

I will have an NTL Digital Cable box which currently outputs the sound and picture to a TV via a SCART cable.
    Then the DVD outputs its sound and video to the TV via another SCART cable.
    All simple.

Now, if I get a Plasma screen (PWD6 or PW7B) then I would get the free Component board.
    Therefore I need a way to get the picture to that from both sources AND a way to get the sound from both sources to an AV-receiver.

I imagine the video signal works like this:
    Component video from DVD to AV-Receiver.
    SCART to Component (?) converted for TV Video to AV-Receiver.
    Then the Receiver outputs the one Component cable to the Screen and u simply select which input up want on the screen at any given time using the AV-Receiver Remote.

And I imagine the Audio signal like this:
    Dual Phono from the NTL box to the AV-receiver.
    Coaxial from the DVD player to the AV-Receiver.

Am I right?
    In the above scenario I only have one connector going to the TV and that comes from the AV-Receiver.

I'm new to all this and am trying to get my head around it all so if I am wrong Please shout it at me and correct me and tell me what the right way is! :smashin:

As an aside, would the Denon AVR-1705 (http://www.av-sales.co.uk/html/denon_avr-1705.html) be a suitable receiver for this role?

Many thanks.
    Ciaran.

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    far too expensive
    buy a dvd recorder like the panny e55, sky to e55, e55 converts to component for you, and if you buy the PWD6 you can plug the e55 component output straight into the VGA connector of it (with a component to VGA cable) No need for any terminal board at all (but the SCART terminal board is useful)
    Plug the sound into your existing Hi-fi.

I have the SCART terminal board, and a JS rgb to VGA box. Those who claim the Scart terminal board is rubbish, don't own one, most people couldn't tell the diff.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Far too expensive - so go out and spend more money on a DVD recorder??????? Been on the whacky backy or something Clarky ;) Also the seven series doesn't accept YUV into the VGA port anymore.

fozz your line up sounds good except for the bit where you are trying to do scart to component bit, this isn't possible without costly converters. Audio you have fine, stero audio (2 RCAs) from NTL to amp, and digital audio from DVD.

Simple method for video would be to use a 3 RCA to 3 RCA lead to get component video to your screen using the free component board. You may choose to use a component lead to the amp, and then another to the screen if you will use an amp that has an on-screen display. This way it is picked up on the component input. Then you can opt for either a scart board to run RGB scart from the NTL box, or a JS Technology converter to run RGB scart to the VGA plug.

As Clarky says, the scart baord does have a rep for softening the picture (which is quite obvious on acorrectly setup screen), but is very useful since it will allow auto aspect-ratio control and as it accepts RGB, S-Video or composite allows the simple connection of something like a quintro scart switcher to expand to five scart sockets for DVD recorders, games consoles etc. If you were to go the JS route it would be a little more expensive (although somewhat offset by the saving made by not buying a scart board), better quality, but you lose aspect ratio control and there still is no composite or s-video input to the screen for games consoles, camcorders, VCRs etc.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Thats why i always reconmend the dual slot board.....
    JS box is best PQ, E55 to conver RGB to YUV best functionality (adds DVD-R and a component player for £220) for Sky/Cable/FV users....

11. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I always give the option myself. For many one scart board and a quintro is a far better option, PQ isn't always number one on the requirements list e.g. when it goes into a family room much more weight is put into functionality. So having an auto selecting scart box with auto widescreen switching and a single stereo audio link to your amp means anyone (i.e. the wife and kids!) can work out how to use it, and this (despite the softening to the picture) is often the preferred method.

The dual board is deffo the better option for proper installs tho :) BNCs for component or an analogue processor. However even still, you cannot have your s-video and composite video sources connected at the same time so still don't have all the video signal formats.

12. scary

scary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I'm confused :confused:, I've heard conflicting reports...

The PWD6 can accept component (YUV) to its VGA port but the PW7B cant?

(yes... I still havent decided - its looking PW7B tho!)

TIA!

Mark

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    true but tis a much preffered option..besides any proper install should use a processor/AV amp as control and 1/2 connactions on screen. For analogue cable (yes some people still use it) i would spec the scart board.........cant make picture any worse!!!!

14. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Proper install wouldn't use AV amp for switching since you cannot calibrate the screen properley for each source. Again using an AV amp would come down to functionality versus PQ. Although we would hope that a proper install uses a proper video processor ;)

15. bakero

bakero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Instead of using an E55 to convert sky+ to component, what about running both sky and DVD into a Denon 2805 amp and running that into the component board of the screen. This would allow a better quality DVD player as it wouldn't need to do a conversion from sky to component(?)

Would this work equally as well, or are there different quality issues again ?

(I'm still not decided whether to get the 1905, 2105 or 2805 amp - or which DVD player. Luckily until NTL actually bother turning up I can't get sky+ so I've got plenty of time by the look of it!)

16. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The problem with that approach is the signal you put into the amp in the first place. Since the Denon doesn't understand RGB scart (Skys best output) you would have to downgrade to s-video. Again for some this is preferred for the sake of video switching advantages, but is getting further away from ultimate PQ.

(the E55 would at least take RGB scart and turn it into component so would be somewhat better conversion)

17. bakero

bakero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam

Is the quality of sky passed to the amp with s-video noticeably worse than passing to an E55 with scart ?

On the other hand, how much noticeably better would a component out DVD signal from a £200 dedicated player into the amp be, compared with the E55 recorder direct to the screen ?

The quality differences I would be aware of aren't nearly as detailed as many people on these boards. (..if that made sense!)

Thanks
    Dave

18. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm looking at a PW7 (37") as well... So from what's been said, one option would be: SKY+ > JS converter (or Panny E55) > Denon > PW7 component board (is that right for best PQ?). Which would allow you to input other sources via the Denon's upsampling?

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Where budget allows..........................................................................

20. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Twofish,
    have a look at the A/V Guides second of my website. There a document on Plasma Screen Interfacing which should help you get up to speed.

For the PW7, my advices is still the same as with previous generations of screen. For best picture quality, use the RGB to Plasma VGA unit. But, if you want to have an A/V amplifier switching several sources, then opt for the RGB to Component converter.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.