1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma 50" vs Sagem Axium 50"

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by sleepyme123, Oct 19, 2004.

1. sleepyme123

sleepyme123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently been browsing the forum to decide what plasma to buy. Preferably a 42" or 50" for under £2,500. I am not fussy if it is a floorstander or wall mounted. I was in John Lewis last night and stumbled across the Sagem Axium 50" for £2,499 with floorstand. This is a back projection TV but the picture was twice as clear than any plasma there. The picture was absolutely superb although the viewing angle wasn't as good as the plasmas but still very good for a back projection TV. The resolution on the Sagem is 1280x 720. It has twin tuners for PIP and PAP (2 things on screen/split screen). I will be connecting a DVD, SKY TV, PS2 and PC to it hopefully. Has anyone else seen this TV in the flesh? Is this better than the current range of plasmas in that price bracket?

Check this link to see the SAgem Axium;
    http://www.sagem.com/en/produits-en/axium-en/sagemaxium-tech-en.htm

2. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
  3. sleepyme123

sleepyme123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your guidance. I will have a read.

4. crusade

crusade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sagem is absolutely excellent.:) Its a plasma killer, both when it comes to picture and price.

I have had one for a week now, connected to a PC (excellent for everything from surfing and email to games). Its running as a HTPC with ffdshow, resize 1280x720, sharpen, and some other filters.. DVD is absolutely excellent! I have a PS2 connected to it..

The only problem is that it show very clear bad signals, quit a few of my cable channels could have been better, but they are very watchable even so.. And then my PS2 games dont look that good anymore, compared to PC games.;).. I guess I need to get a longer cable so I dont play PS2 games from 1.5 meters away..

Its a killer monster of a TV, PC monitor, HDTV etc.etc. No worry about burn-in as on plasmas, way better solution, colors.. and half the price of same size..:)

I do notice slight rainbow effect sometimes, but cant understand why anyone would be bothered by them. (maybe I dont see the ones everyone is talking about? ) they only last oen fraction of a second, tiny ones on white stuff when I move my head/blink in combination. It does add a cool effect to the intro scenes/warp scenes on Star-Trek..:) These are the only scenes where I see them if I dont try very hard and very loong... until a headace is on its approach..;)

The rainbow effect seem very overrated to me.. in a positive way. Not anything to worry about is my experience.:)

5. thedude

thedude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,007
    hey fella regardless of what everyone else has written here your probably find that they ahve jacked the picture up with a HDTV input via a pc using the DVI cable, the tv can look absolutely stunning.
    however i found when using normal dvd RGB input the picture was good but still suffered from some noise on it. Its not the only tv out there like that i think optima make exaclty the same tv but in black.
    Anways have a closer look with a DVD player and sky throught it. Your alos find the stand is optional at £300 or so