1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma, £2k budget, must be black !?!?!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pjwraith, Jul 15, 2005.

1. pjwraith

pjwraith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would welcome help in shortlisting some Plasmas to check out for a new set-up in my lounge.

I am looking for a 42" plasma, must be black only (no silver trim, speakers or bezels). The wife has spoken, even if it is dearer !

I was intending to get a Panasonic, most of the threads agree this is best value for money but in the flesh I was disappointed and wife actively disliked the aesthetics. We have seen a Pioneer quickly in passing, looked much better and was all black but did not have time to stop for details. Can anyone provide me with some examples to hunt out and check with approximate prices ?

Max budget is £2k, will be wall mounted and used to watch films, DVD or DIVX. Sky will connected to another tv in another room for general use, may watch the odd terrestial tv on plasma but picture playback there is irrelevant for sky.

I relise the selection criteria are a bit whacked but we have just spent months rebuilding/decorating/rewiring and a few more ££££s to finish it just right are neither here nor there.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pioneer pdp 435 is going for 2400 with extras on several sites

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    With the 42" Panasonic Viera going for just over £2k street price I reckon the Panasonic HD8 (panel only) will be around £2k with an input board.
    I prefer the panels as they not only give a lot better image but they look neater in the room too, and if you have seperate speakers then why bother with a big bulky set with ears sticking out of the side?

[​IMG]

4. pjwraith

pjwraith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panel only is fine by me, internal speakers will not be required.

I didnt realise you could choose one or the other :confused:

I havent bought a tv in several years, my old 33" tosh has been running happily and plasmas are all new to me....

As you say there will be seperate speakers and amp (expect posts in the other forums shortly) , all I need is the screen. I assume there will only be a need for one scart/component set from the amp to the screen, all sources will connect to the amp?

5. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gizlaroc, nice pic there.. what is the plasma like when watching football?

One of my concerns about buying a Plasma is i've heard that they arent ideal for watching footy, and having had a disappointing experience with watching football on a 100hz tv in the past, with a blurring/smearing effect that made it totally unwatchable (in the end I couldn't stand it and returned the tele within days), am I right in thinking that while Plasmas might not be comparble to a good quality CRT when watching footy, they aren't totally unwatchable as some 100hz sets are?

I would appreciate your comments, mate.

And also, when you talk about just the panel (ie, without tuner) giving better PQ, do these suffer from the same kind of contrast/brightness issues that some people have experienced with the PV500s ?

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    The reason I went back to a Panasonic after selling it and getting a Pioneer XDE and an NECXM3 was because I watch a lot of sport.
    The Panasonic is the only Panel I have seen so far that looks very CRT like, all the others have the problems you describe, my mates Fujitsu is pretty good too to be fair, but that is a 50" and he paid £4800 for that.

Sport on my HD6 is better to watch than on my Philips 100Hz 32" crt tv that is in the bedroom, which is saying quite a bit for the plasma.

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    I have never seen any contrast issues.

8. pjwraith

pjwraith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see two panels now that seem to fit the bill,

Panasonic TH-42PWD7EK and

Pioneer PDP43MXE1

Any reason to choose one over the other? They will be connected to a Cambridge Audio Azur 540R amp for home cinema use, anything else I need to get?

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    They are very odd comparisons?

The PWD7 is a screen that is £999 but only Standard definition and has problems with 50Hz on the digital connection for the new Hi-def formats on the way, however it is still one of my favourite screens and forgetting specs gives a superb image.

The pioneer MXE-1 is a 1024x768 screen and can do native refresh so no judder, however it has no HDCP support, costs twice as much and has poorer black levels than the panasonic.
    There is a car available for a RRP of €1099 that give the screen an hdcp compatible input.

Personally out of the two, I would go with the pwd7, in fact when I wenbt down to av-sales to buy an MXE-1 a year or so ago I actually ended up with the Panny pw6, and at that point the MXE1 was £2500 and teh PW7 was £2200 so there was little difference between price, and with a budget if £3k at the time either were well within it.

I would wait for the newer screens now, you never know Pioneer may even get the new 436 models looking good, if not then the new Panny 8 series will be awesome if it only adds 50hz to hdmi at the reolutions we want, as apart from that the current screens are still right at the top picture wise.

Do Fujitsu do a 42" of their new screen?

The Panasonic PHD6/7 is a much fairer comparison to the MXE1, I swapped my pw6 for an HD6, even with SD material there are a few things that make it worthwhile, for one the graduation between colours is a lot better on the HD6, like setting your desktop from 256 colours to 32 bit. Add a scaler and the difference becomes even more pronounced, funnily enough though with true Hi-Def you are hard pushed to really see which is the SD and which is the HD screen when sitting at normal viewing distance.

10. pjwraith

pjwraith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The choice was purely based on looks and availability whilst browsing, I dont really know what I am looking for when it comes to specs.

As I am not really bothered too much by TV broadcasts (terrestial or sky) I am not sure whether the "Hi definition ready" is very important to me ? Most viewing will be by DVD or DIVX. I very rarely watch much of any broadcast programs.

I do not seem to be able to find a good site listing pictures/prices and a good range of Pioneer and Panasonic plasmas...I am inclined towards them as my manufacturers of choice based on their apparent popularity. Perhaps someone could recommend me a good site here in the UK?

I really dont want to go over the 2k budget I have set for the core panel, add on cards and mountings dont count towards this limit. It isnt that I cant afford it (I can) but 2k seems a reasonable budget for what I want.
    I also dont want to wait for the next version as such, I gave up doing that a long time ago on the PC front and dont wish to start again ! Fact is the room is empty and it needs a screen to finish it, I want to finalise the purchase in the next 2 weeks or so ideally.

Can someone recommend specific model numbers I can look up?

Thanks again for all the input, I really appreciate it. I know if I ask for help in a shop I am likely to end up fleeced !

11. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Going to av-sales.com, one of the site sponsers is one highly recommended. They should be able to advise you.

Cheers

Andy

12. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    I would agree on not waiting for the next best thing, but they are important changes happening at the moment that could mean the difference of your display working or not working with all the new hardware coming over the next 6 months.
    Plasmas have pretty much been the same for the last 4 or 5 years, look at the 5 series panny compared with the current 7 series, not much in it, but the 8 series will work with 50Hz (important being in europe) 720p and 1080i over digital inputs and the 7 series won't.

But if you want now I would look at......

Panasonic PW7, decent with both DVD and DivX and can play all the games consoles etc.
    You want to pay around £1100 for screen, wall bracket and say a JS scart->VGA converter, or a dual slot input board (component and S-video).

If you feel the need to add HD at a later date you will get a good return on your screen, as there will be loads of people prepared to pay £750 for the panel alone, you could keep the same wall bracket and input cards and put the hi-def version of the 8 series in its place.

What are you using source wise? Sky, dvd, xbox?

13. pjwraith

pjwraith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your recommendation.

For input I am working on Yamada 6700 (seems best choice unless progressive scan is something I really, really need) connected to Cambridge Audio Azur 540r most likely. If I should invest in progressive scan then I dont mind getting a dvd player as well as the Yamada. The convenience of a remote controlled divx player cannot be ignored, I have been using a pc but its scruffy and noisy in comparison.

an xbox tempts me but cant be bothered to get into modding it, I simply want an easy to use solution. Occasional tv use will come from NTL cable connection.