Plant\Tree recommendations

BiggieBig

I know nothing about gardening so excuse my ignorance.

We looking for some tree(s)\Plants we can place at the back of our garden for privacy and to block noise from factory outlets.

Here's our criteria.

1) Must be minimum of 6m high
2) total space is about 4m wide (So may require 2 or 3 trees)
3) They will be placed at the back of the garden next to a 2m high fence.
4) Don't want them to dominant the garden as it's not that big.
5) Must be able to maintain good height in 6-12 months.
6) Low maintenance.

I'm thinking of some kind of conifers but have no idea what.

Any recommendations please........

GW43

You want them to be 6m high in 6-12 months? That's a tall order!

You also want them to be 6m high but not dominate the garden? What else are they supposed to do at that height?

The fastest growing conifer is the dreaded Leylandii - but I understand recently there have been some restrictions placed on it's use. This will grow like stink if left untouched, and would easily reach your target height in a few years, but not 12 months.

One row of trees will not block noise.

You could buy some mature trees to plant, but these will be expensive, need a big hole to put them in and there's no guarantee they'll do the job you want them to.

Jammyb

What about Bamboo, that grows pretty quick (upto 100cm a day :eek: , but 3-5cm is more typical in a garden) and won't dominate the landscape, don't think it will get up to 6m though.

Garrett

If don't want noise and want privacy you will not wasn't Deciduous but Coniferous trees.

If you plant in the side of the garden you are going to block light to your own garden and maybe light to other peoples which they will not thank you for.

D

dakara

I have Bamboos, which I planted in my garden here. They remain evergreen over our temperature range, +38 Celcius down to -12 Celcius, and grow at a rate of 3 metres a year, when properly rooted. One thing which might cause you a problem is that some varieties spread very vigorously by means of underground root branches, which is not a problem to me since I have plenty of space, but might cause you some grief.
They provide good visual screening, but are not of much use as a sound barrier.
For that purpose,conifers certainly have the edge.
I would suggest CUPRESSUS MACROCARPA "GOLDCREST"
This is hardy, quick growing, and is a dense, highly decorative, golden coloured tree .
Happy planting :clap:

BiggieBig

GW43 said:
You want them to be 6m high in 6-12 months? That's a tall order!

You also want them to be 6m high but not dominate the garden? What else are they supposed to do at that height?

The fastest growing conifer is the dreaded Leylandii - but I understand recently there have been some restrictions placed on it's use. This will grow like stink if left untouched, and would easily reach your target height in a few years, but not 12 months.

One row of trees will not block noise.

You could buy some mature trees to plant, but these will be expensive, need a big hole to put them in and there's no guarantee they'll do the job you want them to.

Sorry a few contradictions I know....

I need them to be at least 6m tall but not necessarily in a year, but would be nice if they could gain decent height in a year. When I mean dominant the garden I meant I don't want one of those trees that grow in every direction and are uncontrollable unless they're maintained regularly.

Thanks for all the replies, I’ll have a look into some of these….

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Bear in mind that if something is growing 20 feet high then not only will it possibly block a lot of sunlight from your garden, but the roots will be all over your garden and be taking all the moisture out of the ground. This may make it difficult to grow other stuff properly.

BiggieBig

decided to go for CUPRESSUS MACROCARPA GOLDCREST
i understand that you can trim them every year to the desired height.

D

dakara

Congratulations Depsi. These are lovely trees. Remember to plant late Autumn for best results, and to ensure that the foliage does not dry out.
It is a good idea to support the tree [Stakes] in the first year if you get strong winds.
Good luck:smashin:

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Don't tie them up too tightly or when the trunks grow thicker the ties will cut into it and damage it for ever. Make sure you constantly check that any ties are loose enough to allow growth.