1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plans - Is Height Dimension Required ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Aletank, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Aletank

Aletank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've just had a set of plans drawn, ready for me to submit for approval.
    The plans are for a Detached Single Storey Garage to be located in my back garden.
    I've noticed though that the height has been missed of the drawings, Will the council require this or will just the length and width be OK ?
    All the elevations and layout is drawn and quite alot of detail for other things.
    I can't imagine somethin as obvious as the height bein missed out if it was required, So will the council require the actual height or do they have a standard for a single storey ?
    I'd phone the guy but hes just gone on his holidays

2. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    I'm in the planning stages of a self-build (a bit more amitious than a garage) and all the plans we have had are done to scale, so as long as your plans have the required elevations and are to scale you may be ok, just depends how picky your local council are.

Ideally the height should be on there, but you may be ok, I'd give the planning dept a call to see what they say, as it normally takes about 8 weeks to get a decision.

Are you applying for planning permission, or do you just need building reg's? As we didn't eed either for our garage, we just gave them the details and they were happy so long as the garage floor area was less than half of the garden area - if this is the case you'll probably be fine, but I'd ring them to be on the safe side.

3. Aletank

Aletank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm applying for planning permission as I know i definatly need it. I went to the planning dept when I first thought about a Garage, with a rough drawing I did on a peice of A4 asking about planning etc. The guy i seen said my rough drawing would do for plans, But i've had proper plans drawn, saves any mis-understanding with builders and the planning dept etc. also better to have plans if you ever sell your house.
    I'm not sure if i need Building Regs though as the rule say, Under 30m2 and 1metre away from the boundry line you don't. But mine is 150mm away from the boundry line. I still don't need it as long as its not constructed of any "Combustable" materials. Now they may say plastic guttering and roof felt is combustable, so I've got to find out about building regs, you can apply for them up to 5 days before building comences, so no rush there.
    I've just read a planning booklet and it says, Flat roofs for garages must be under 3m high and Apex roofs must be under 4m high. I'm just hoping the council understand/presume mine will be under 4m high.
    Your case for not needed planning permission probably was because your allowed to build up to a certain amount of cubic metres onto your property. I've had a conservatory added already, so i've used some of that "free" space up. I think the allowed space is 70 cubic metres or 50% of the land arround your house.
    all my plans are to scale and I've got all the elevations, I'm just hoping they presume/understand its within the 4m height allowence.
    I'll ask them before I give my plans in, just to be sure and to save wasting weeks.

4. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    for planning you need>>>>>

a set of drawings showing the following.
    all existing elevations and plans
    all proposed elevations and plans fully demensioned!.

plus a few other things. :smashin:

plus you'll need to apply for building warrant (you need to do that for ANYTHING you do now)

5. Aletank

Aletank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Put my plans in today, I asked about the height - they said as long as its in scale and not over the 4m height limit. If its over 4m the dimensions would be required.

6. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Couldn't your garage have been done under 'Permitted Development' - ie no formal planning application would be needed?

Also, if under 30m2 internal, then no Building Regs approval may be required either.

Dimensions are not that essential for basic residential work. If the plans are accurate and to scale and in proportion, then the siting and scale of the new work can be ascertained from comparison to the existing building.

If on your drawing say, the ridge line is shown level with the bedroom window cill, then that would be where it would be expected to be.

I'm not aware of any 4m height limit for when a vertical dimension is required. I don't normally put any on planning approval jobs under two storeys.

7. Aletank

Aletank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    With having a conservatory already, my cubic metres goes over the 70 allowed before planning permission is needed.
    My garage will be closer than 2m to the boundry line.
    Also it will be closer than 5m to my house, which classes it as a extension.
    All the 3 of the above points make me require planning permission.
    My garage will be 150mm away from the boundry, But I'm not sure if they will class Guttering,Roof Felt as conbustable materials, If they're classed as non combustable - No i won't need building regs, I'll ask about that nearer the time of building.