Plans for SkyHD demo pods in retailers?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by PhlangePhace, Mar 20, 2006.

1. PhlangePhace

PhlangePhace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Sorry for being a little off-topic, but you'll see where I'm coming from so bear with me....

Browsing round an electrical superstore today and noticed a demo pod for a HD camcorder...a rotating toy dog with 2 camcorders pointing at it, one being SD, the other a lovely looking HD cam.
    Big shiny buttons allow you to select between SD view and HD view....

Blimey :eek: ...the HD view was nothing short of spectacular in comparison, so much so I had to go and see how much the cam was...£1500 !!!
    So the quality of each camcorder wasn't a like-for-like comparison, the SD camcorder not necessarily being a top-of-the range version, but the difference was so noticable that I considered that the HD cam was probably 'worth' the hefty price tag, relatively speaking.

Anyway...my point is...if SkyHD have similar demo pods scattered throughout its retailers I'm sure that HD as a technology is gonna rocket.

This demo pod, I must say, is a perfect example of how technology should be shown/demonstrated....makes a change from how poorly TVs are fed with rubbish feeds that you normally see in these superstores.

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    how much did the SD cam cost tho? was it also a £1,500 model?(or within a couple hundred)

if not then its not exactly a fair comparison, its like taking a £650 Roksan Kandy stereo amp and comparing it to a £1,500 Musical Fidelity A5........the Roksan doesnt stand a chance up against an amp like the A5......

3. PhlangePhace

PhlangePhace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Yes, I realise that..I said as much in my original post...that the SD model was not necessarily a top-of-the-range SD model to give the fair comparison.
    The point I was making was that the difference in PQ was outstandingly obvious.

And, as far as I could tell, a good comparison of SD capability to the HD capability.
    It's rare that you see a demonstration of the difference between quality of the same 'subject matter' presented in this way, apart from simulated split-screen representations you might see in a sales brochure, for example.

(See also http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318907 which gives an example of a poor comparison )

4. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    As long as the demos have a well set up set in SD running against the HD set then it would be fair. Something like the Sharp p50e running against a HD ready set.

Dixon tried to do this to show the quality of a upscaling DVD players via a HDMI running against a standard DVD player via scart. Problem was they used a Panny 500 LCD against a LG which was half the price and it was difficult to tell the difference.

Everytime I went in to Dixon everyone just said well the Panny should have been better anyway as it was twice the price of the LG.

Demo didnt last that long. Of course they should have just used 2 pannys feeding one with the upscaled feed and one with the scat feed.

To be honest could not really tell the difference between the Panny and the LG anyway!