1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning to go to Plasma but would appreciate some input!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Symey, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Just joined the forum after checking it out over the past few days - looks like a friendly helpful place!

I like to think of myself as being quite up with the new gadgets and love my toys etc but i think i need a lilttle bit of guidance on this occasion!!

I always promised myself it wouldnt be neccesary to go to Plasma and i would skip this particular technology and dive into the next one but with the recent price drops its just become too impossible to ignore!

This is my current setup in my living room:

Toshiba 36" Picture Frame 2 with 5.1

Pioneer DSC505 DvD Player/Stereo Home Cinema System with 5.1
    http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/sound-and-vision/sound/home-cinema-systems/125697/prices

Sky+ Digibox

Xbox

I reckon i will have a budget of up to about £2000. Given what i have already have i wondered what you guys would do with the money?

I would like a 42" Plasma (obviously) but im unsure what else i will need in terms of something that will manage all the extra boxes to be plugged in. The Xbox, Sky & DVD currently all plug into my three scart sockets on the Toshiba. I dont think there is any other way to plug in the DVD? It doesnt appear to have RGB on the back of it - it uses a scart for video and a dedicated yellow lead for audio that i think plugs on the back of the scart cable (that make sense?).

Depending on what Plasma you recommenda new speaker/dvd setup or stick with the Pioneer? I need multi reigon and it also needs to douoble as my stereo so radio and full featyred cd playback is important.

Im in London and very near to Richer Sounds who seem to be doing some nice deals atg the moment.

Anybody have anny suggestions?

Id appreciate any comments you may have!

All the best

Sy

2. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Few people other than perhaps some of the traders on here will be able to give you a fully objective view (i.e. I've only ever owned 2 different plasmas), but for what it's worth I don't think you can go wrong with a Panny TH42 PW7 (or PW6, as they are apparently very similar - see other threads).

Great quality, great build, great price.

RS are indeed offering a good price on them, however bear in mind they don't offer any terminal boards and I believe they don't supply them either.

There are a number of reliable online retailers (buyyourav.com, discountaudiovision.com, krishav.co.uk, and av-sales.com, the latter being well respected on this forum) who will provide the terminal boards you want with your screen and decent service at an outstanding price.

The 42" PW6/7 have 3 terminal input spaces plus the PC VGA input, which would be ample for what your using.

Set-up wise you could choose something along the lines of:

Pio (which should be fine) to Sky+, Sky+ to SCART board
    Xbox to Component board
    Audio to your Pio.

Alternatively many people rave about the JS Tech RGB 2 VGA converter (usually the same people who feel the standard Panny SCART board is inadequate), which lets you plug SCART (i.e. your Sky+/DVD) into the PC VGA input via a small box for around £120 - but means you don't have to spend £150 on a SCART terminal if your screen doesn't come with one. Pic Quality is supposed to be greatly improved...

Budget-wise all of the above is affordable. Screen is around £1500 with free SCART from the retailers I mentioned above, Component board if you need one is around £100 , and the JS Tech box is £120. Add to that delivery and a stand or wall mount (my B-Tech wall mount was £80 and very sturdy) and you should still be well under the £2k mark.

I'm no expert but I'm extremely happy with mine and I've been fortunate enough to be able to compare it with another (far more inferior Samsung model.

Good luck...

3. Intenso

Intenso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    RS do supply boards both scart and rca component boards. The 42" PW6 is £1299 and the component board is £150.

4. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough, my info was wrong - although you should be able to get a component board for less than £150 elsewhere.

e.g. you can get the BNC Component board (which I've also heard is a little better than the RCA version, although I've no idea why) for £80 including delivery (excl VAT) here

5. Intenso

Intenso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hmmm... Good price. The PW6 is becoming more and more tempting!

6. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you think my Pioneer would be adeqaute for the sound on a plasma? I just need to purchase a screen & tuner at minimum?

is there a major diff between the pw6 & pw7? better res on the pw7 ?

thanks for the help so far guys, much better to get opinions from guys off the street and not somebody on commision!

regs

sy

7. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have a Pio DCS-323 (no idea if that's as good as yours or not, check it out on the Pio website), and I'm really happy with sound quality - and that's simply using a phono lead to link my Sky+ box and the Pio.

If you've got Sky you DON'T need a tuner, as far as I know they're only required for people who still watch TV using a normal coaxial cable etc. Sky+ will go straight into SCART or whatever other connection you decide to go with (JS Tech, Component etc as mentioned above).

The only well known official disadvantage of the PW7 is that you can't plug Component straight into the VGA port (you can on a PW6), but I don't know if that causes you any issues - certainly didn't bother me, as I went for the PW7, and if you go for the JS Tech converter it won't make a difference either. Ultimately the PW7 is a newer model but there are very few differences technologically from what I understand - and I've seldom seen owners of either model complain about quality/longevity etc on this forum.

8. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that mate - not sure about the extra connectivity required on the PW7 then - sounds lilke the PW6 wouldnt be much of a spec drop - only thing is I need silver! Think it only comes in black?

Happy to run my sky on it without a tuner - is that what most people are happy to do? Any real reason why i should get one if i only ever use sky digi? Will i suffer any kind of sound lag going via method (excuse my ignorance).

Just tio throw something else into the mix - I some very nice looking hitachis at richersounds -

Whats your thoughts on this?

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/HIT-42PD5300.htm

A good price?

I understand sky are going HD this year/next year? Are these screens adequate? Or will i have th echoice not to go HD with sky?

9. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well as long as you want the consumer version (PW6), you'll be OK - it's silver. The business version (PWD6) comes in charcoal, not sure they ever did a silver version of it. There are numerous threads detailing the (small) differences between the two.

Sky = no need for tuner, simple as that. I've not had any lip sync or other issues putting mine straight into the SCART terminal.

Can't comment on the Hitachi I'm afraid but I'm sure others will (I think there's a big Hitachi thread too, worth checking).

There's also a thread on PW6/7 and HDTV. Things don't look rosey for either screen when it comes to HDTV compatibility, but depends how desperate you are for it (and who you believe on this forum!). There's also the question of when we'll realistically be able to take advantage of it - even if it's introduced sometime in 2006, how long will it be before the majority of broadcasting uses it properly? I for one certainly can't answer that...

10. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that mate - did you have any thoughts on the hitachi link i posted?

Or anybody else?

Regs

Sy

11. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just wanted to clear something up regarding the JS Converter to VGA.

I am sure I have read someone mention that using this connection method, they couldnt alter the picture settings.

I may have got it wrapped around my neck though.

:confused:

12. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There was certainly a post mentioning this when we were discussing the Picture In Picture limitations of the PW7 yesterday, however I've no idea whether the picture is also limited when used full screen on it's own - and I also don't know if it was due to the JS box or the VGA port itself (but I suspect it was the port rather than the box).

13. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Your right, its the port, can't adjust colour or tint and also doesn't switch aspect ratio on the converter.

Still doesn' bother me.......get a great picture through Sky.................if you turn the Sky options settings to low contrast etc.

Can't say its def better than scart board, as i haven't seen the two together.............i went on advice from Joe Fernand, Horny etc........and i'm not disappointed..............scart was thought to be too soft....whatever thant means!

14. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks tamthetim - so would I be right in saying PIP is irrelevant to this issue and that the problem exists when used full screen too?

If so surely that's a pain in the a*se when viewing if you can't choose the aspect ratio you want? How did you get around that problem?

Colour/tint I think I can live with... :)

15. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You can always adjust the aspect ratio.................manually using the plasma remote....................it just won't do it automatically..................set sky to 16.9 and all channels on sky appear 16.9......................i think its worse when the auto aspect ratio works and the picture constantly changes when flicking about channels.

Think PIP is another issue and is to do with the inputs used

Cheers, Tam

16. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gotcha, thanks.

Incidentally, with my current setup (i.e. SCART rather than JS box, and BNC Component when it arrives) I think I'll be OK for PIP, I reckon the problem will arise if and when I get the JS box to replace the SCART, cos at that point I'll be using a combination of the unsupported PIP inputs rather than just one of them...

17. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    think your right.................let me know how you get on.................might be trying myself if i buy the DVDS97 and the notorious HDMI board

18. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    going back to my original question though guys - so no thoughts on the hitachi then!?

19. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Symey, don't know anything about Hitachi, but there are quite a few threads discussing them - try a search.