Planning for a GA-E7AUM-DS2H build

flash_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello folks

I'm in the process of planning for the upgrade to my HTPC. Components I'm aiming for are:

Case: Silverstone LC16M case (already have from current HTPC)
MB: GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H GeForce 9400 mGPU microATX
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz Socket 775 1333FSB 4MB L2 Cache
PSU : Corsair 520W HX Series Modular PSU - ATX12V v2.2 APFC
Memory: Corsair 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL5
Optical: LG Electronics Blu-Ray Re-Writer/HD DVD-ROM SATA Black Kit
Hd: Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB HD103UJ
TV Card: AVerMedia AVerTV Combo PCIe

Still need to pick some new quiet case fans and a quiet CPU cooler.

Can anyone see any issues with the above list...?

Also, is the PSU powerful enough?

Many thanks for any comments.

Flash

Do you need a Quad core in your HTPC? If it is purely an HTPC - and not being used for re-encoding HD video etc. - then you could save yourself some money and some cooling/noise by going for a Core 2 Duo, or even a Core Duo.

For a decent SD/HD HTPC an E7300 or even an E5200 would be OK.

Do you need a Quad core in your HTPC? If it is purely an HTPC - and not being used for re-encoding HD video etc. - then you could save yourself some money and some cooling/noise by going for a Core 2 Duo, or even a Core Duo.

For a decent SD/HD HTPC an E7300 or even an E5200 would be OK.

I agree with Stephen about the CPU and I'd also add that 4Gb of RAM is overkill too unless using an X64 OS.

D.

Many thanks for any comments.
As others have said the quad core and 4Gb RAM is not needed. I am running that motherboard with an E4500 and 2Gb RAM and that is plenty for 1080p material.

Have a look at the E5200 (it is £100 cheaper than the Q8300 at Scan) and should do the job.

As for case fans, I have over the years had hundreds of fans. The best for noise I have used are the Noctua fans. I am currently running 2x120mm in teh case and 1x80mm on the CPU (the second 120mm is only because there was a space in the case:rolleyes:) and the machine is basically silent (much quieter than Sky+ box) and temps are fine.

As for cooler it depends on what you fit in that case. I am sure I did not go for that case as the air flow was not great and you only get 2x80mm exhuast fans?

If you can get it in I would recommend the Scythe mini Ninja. It is fairly big but is an excellent heatsink.

I agree with Stephen about the CPU and I'd also add that 4Gb of RAM is overkill too unless using an X64 OS.
I was thinking about this. The graphics card is using the onboard memory and if you are using Vista 4Gb might not be that much overkill. I am running quite happily with 2Gb (the card set to 512MB) in XP.

When you look at the fact Scan are selling 2gb (2x1Gb) Corair XM2 5-5-5-18 at £32.94 and the 4Gb equivalent (2x2Gb) at £43.57 there is really not much in it.

Many thanks for the responses everyone! Seems like I have gone overboard on the CPU :)

I have a bad habit of always going OTT when spec'ing things "just in case"

I will need to do some video processing in the future, but I doubt I'll use the HTPC for that, as my regular desktop needs an upgrade so I'll spec it up for that.

Flash

ONe other question I had on the Gigabyte board. Does anyone know if it outputs component video on the VGA port? I have component video distribution in my house, and I'd like to be able to feed the HTPC output into it...

Flash

ONe other question I had on the Gigabyte board. Does anyone know if it outputs component video on the VGA port? I have component video distribution in my house, and I'd like to be able to feed the HTPC output into it...

Flash

Have never seen any mention of that in my paperwork for the board - and it isn't an obvious option anywhere in the drivers on my install.

Think nVidia now treat analogue component as a (separate) TV Out function like composite and S-video, rather than an option on DVI-A or VGA analogue outputs.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom