Question Planning a basic home cinema install.

Clickme

So I've been given the green light to clear out a large spare room in our house to turn into a home cinema/spare lounge and just wanted some thoughts and opinions on speaker size and layout to see if I'm really making the most of the space I have.

The room dimensions are 4m x 7m long and looking fit a 120" screen at one end and currently sourcing an Epson projector which I've viewed and happy with which should fit the bill. With regards to audio I'm curious with the long room length if bookshelf speakers as main channels e.g. Q acoustics 3020s x 2 and a 3090c with potentially in ceiling speakers (Atmos) would be enough grunt for the room. If so would wall mounting be an option given the room length or best to keep these pointing straight and further away from the wall? Our seating position would be at the opposite end of the room leaving a large space open in the middle.

Sub woofer budget wise is around the £300 mark, any sub in particular that stands out at that price range? More than happy to buy something used off these forums.

Finally I've read that the Q acoustics are fairly straightforward to drive, is there any preferred brand AV amp that these speakers are known to work well with in particular?

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

Astonman1007

That's a great sized room you have to work with.
I am unfamiliar with Q acoustics products. However, bookshelf speakers will work well for movies. You can't really go wrong with an Onkyo AV receiver to drive them. They come with a set-up mic and a great bit of software for speaker placement calibration. As for the sub - £300/£350 should get you a second hand SVS PB1000 at a push. Or you can get a decent MK sub for similar price.

gibbsy

Going on your plan the 3020s will just be too small. A room of your size would benefit from speakers such as the KEF Q350s. With just a 5.1.2 in mind then you should look at the Denon AVR X3500. Very good room correction with Audyssey XT32 which is superior to those found on Onkyo, Yamaha or Sony receivers. It also has pre-outs which means you could use a two channel power amp for the fronts should you feel the need for more power.

paulukhenry

Standard Member
Hi,

I've got the Q Acoustic 3050 Floor Standers with the 3020 surrounds. Great sound with the ability to fill a large room. Don't go with the 3000 range subwoofer. Really bad reviews.

I've smaller setout but here's my 1st attempt at a decent budget surround system.

Attachments

Clickme

Hi Paul thanks for the response, I've actually sourced a SVS PC2000 that I'm picking up tomorrow but just deciding if to go for 4 x 3020s or 2 x 3020s and then replace the front channels with 3050s. As you have both do you notice a big difference between the sets of speakers and is it worth spending the extra few hundred or so?

Thanks

paulukhenry

Standard Member
The 3020's are a good speaker and with the SVS subs you won't need the low frequencies of the 3050's. I listen to a lot of music so the front sound stage is quite important and the 3050's excel.

Cheers
Paul

na67181

Interesting.. so what would be the recommended final setup with an av receiver for home cinema 5.1

Clickme

ended up finding a Denon 2400 which should fit the bill for basic Atmos use. Can normally grab a bargain on the classifieds.

Clickme

Went for the 3050s front and 3020s for the rear. Most bang for the buck as I'm doing this on a bit of a budget.

Clickme

This room should be done by the end of next week so will certainly let you know. My room size is 7m by 4m so will let you know.

Clickme

That deal above looks like a decent package to last a while, i can't comment on the amplifier but if you open a separate question thread you might get a better response from other members.

POPPY

Standard Member
ended up finding a Denon 2400 which should fit the bill for basic Atmos use. Can normally grab a bargain on the classifieds.
Hi
My room same size, I have denon 2600h, what was your final Speaker choice as I read some one saying the QAcoustics would be too small
Tony

Clickme

Hi
My room same size, I have denon 2600h, what was your final Speaker choice as I read some one saying the QAcoustics would be too small
Tony
So i ended up going for the Q acoustics 3050 when they were on the black Friday sale at richer sounds for £249 don't think i was going to get much more bang for the buck. Comparing them with the 3020s you get way more balance across the front channels imo. Plus the floor standers go pretty low bridging a nice gap between that and the sub.

Attachments

POPPY

Standard Member
Did you get full 3050 speaker system and were they 3050i or just 3050. Like your screen, what size is it and where from.
Regardless of 3050 or 3050i I take its sufficient for the size of the room, I mainly watch movies.
I have a epson 5650 projector and denon x2200w AVR, just need to decide on speakers, keep getting reports from members who say 3050 are not suitable for my size room and my seating is to far away from screen.

Clickme

So the rears are 3020s and I have q acoustics qi65cs for Atmos in the ceiling. Unless you're looking to get a noise complaint these ramp exceptionally loud with great clarity even at low volumes. The 3050i has a larger cabinet from what I recall but all depends what fits your budget.

Screen is a 133" Duronic Electric screen from Amazon, Bought for temporary use over Christmas as I needed as suitable screen. Not amazing but gets the job done.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG SN7CY Soundbar Review, Hisense 55U7Q, LG Nano90, Best of the Month, B+W Sigourney Weaver

Trending threads

Latest News

Sky comedy panel shows back to film new series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Polk launches MagniFi 2 soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung pulls out of IFA 2020?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th June 2020