1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PlanetSide ?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by monkeyleader, May 9, 2003.

1. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hey,

Has anyone played this yet - currently downloading the Public Beta from FilePlanet - a whopping 1.3Gb :eek: Should install it tonight .. it positions itself as a MMOFPS - ie : massive multi online first person shooter - looks quite good ...

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/120000/122855.shtml

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    It does look extremely good, I was going to start the download off last night, but got side tracked.

Will start it when I get home and hopefully get some playing in over the weekend.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Let us know wether it's worth the down load.

cheers

4. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    screenshots and gameplay look amazing ... just installed, but the sign-up process is a bit of a pain - currently waiting for confirmation that i can start playing ... I hate waiting ... bring on the pain !!

monkey

5. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Is this the best game Ive ever played, quite possibly, is this game going to eat up more time than is healthy, more than likley, have I fallen in love with this game already, you bet . Basically its a winner in my book - the scope of the areas to play in, the battles, the team work, the graphics, the sounds all make this one of the most engrossing games Ive ever played - add to that evey single person I see out there, wether they are flying a dropship, driving a tank, or simply taking fire, is a real person, somewhere out there .... Some of the battles Ive dropped into have had up to 50 people, and thats just for starters, when you look at the global map there it is littered with battles ranging from small scurmishes right through to full scale wars. Im not saying this is everyones cup of tea, but if you are into FPS, and love the challenge of online games combined with team work then this is the one for you - Im sure it will take a while to get used to, and perhaps the chat window is a bit annoying, couldnt get the VoIP working, but apart from that Id give this one 11/10 - go get it now, download it, install it, play it, and be prepared for divorce from every member of your family :) :) :) :)

monkey

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I don't think I would say it is the best game ever :p

I still think that currently CounterStrike is a better shooter.

Planetside is very good, however they need resolve performance, the maps are huge, but I get so much lag as soon as an enemy comes near me it is unreal. I put this down to the 256megs of RAM I have, cannot upgrade till the end of the month :(

I think I may purchase this game when it comes out, although I am unsure of its long term appeal. It reminds me of Shattered Galaxy, in that the war is never ending, you cannot really play strategically as it is impossible to hold continents. It seems that there really are no fronts to the battles, one troop carrier can deliver a strong 8 man squad deep behind the lines, they can then capture a shedload of stuff as no one is around. There are no benefits to defense.

Also, I managed to walk around for ages not seeing anyone, even though I had about 3 hotspots around my character, very strange (or boring).

I would currently give it around 7/10, very promising but could end up a right royal mess once you get past the first few hours of amazement :)

Also, I find it slightly annoying that you can't really tell how much you are hitting someone, and that as a newb your starting weapon does about as much damage as a snowball. It doesn't take too long to get up the ranks a little, but it can be a little tiring when one guy in an EXO drops into a base and wipes out about 10 newbs..... although it would be quite amusing to do that!

7. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    my system ; AMD 1400, 512mb RAM, GeForce4 Ti 4800 Grpahics, 600k connection ..

- when things got packed it slowed down and lagged a bit, but I was speaking to my brother who has a faster CPU, DDR RAM and a lesser graphics card and he said it was all running smooth as silk - time to upgrade me thinks :)

- i must admit ive been playing now for about 20 hours and have never had a quiet moment, either in training (its TRON) or in the live action, always something going on.

- I guess where it might get a bit repetitive is the fact its battle battle batltle, perhaps stategy could be to build something or change the landscape etc ..

- also id love to see some kind of interaction with offline players, instant messages, sms etc to notify your squad when you are in need of support ... but then i guess id never get any work done :)

- playing games like this make real life suck :zonked: :zonked:

- I agree, games like couter strike, battlefielf and wolf, which drop you right into the action and wham bam are great, but i think there can be more than 1 greatest game of all time, depending on the genre, and perhaps PlanetSide is the first to stand head and shoulders above the rest in this particualr genre.

monkey

8. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    RAM is the biggest bottleneck on this game, not sure if this will just be the case for the Beta. I Will be upgrading to a gig this month :)

Planetside is really the only one of its kind at the moment, there are no shooters doing anything similar. However, there really needs to be some short and long term goals. Most FPS's work because you are trying to win a round, if Quake/UT was just constant drop in and never win then it would be boring.

They need to introduce some kind of faction/individual scoring system, which runs over a specific time period, this would make for a better goal.

9. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    Can you say Tribes 2?

I've enjoyed playing PS so far, but will I pay a monthly premium for it? Probably not, I don't see the MMORPGishness in it.

I love FPS, but I wont pay an ongoing fee to play them

10. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Tribes 2 is still a closed server, it can be fairly similar, only in the same way as Battlefield 1942 involves large maps and vehicles. It still doesn't have the sheer size.

This is the first FPS I have played where you level your character.

11. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Well, it seems that the beta period is now over, as I now can't log in. Does anyone know how to Uninstall the beta?

12. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    add/remove programs?

13. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Ah, if only!!!

14. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    now the dust has settled is it worth buyin the retail version of this?

15. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
  16. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Installed it last night .first impressions

£24.99 from Play you have to enter your credit card details but nothing is taken for the first month so effectivly 1 month free with the game which time you can cancel at any point then I think its £12 or dollars a month after (can`t remember sorry)

training - very good training looks amazing and quite easy to handle vehicals ect and surprising few buttons to use for such a big game .

You choose to join 1 of 3 factions . The best thing is to join a team as you will get blastest straight away otherwise .
    There are literally thousands of people playing at any one time it tell you the amount when you log on .

As a FPS fan there seems to be enough to keep me happy as i was hoping it wasnt all role play I think im going to like this game a lot .

17. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    And you'll continue to pay a monthly sub for it? \0/

18. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes its £8 a month .
    I know it sounds bad but I look at it like this

The game is 24.99 with that you get a months play free .
    Ive paid £40 quid for games ive compleated in a week .

If I get bored after the month then that will be it ,
    but make no mistake this game really is amazing id tell anyone pay the 25 quid and give it a go its really the most excting FPS ive played .

The amount of people playing at once is amazing .

The game is as quite or action packed as you want it there are massive and small wars going on all over the place .

honestly im not one of these people who tell everyone to get a game just cause i have it .
    I really do belive its a fantastic experience .

certain things could do with changing like the buildings bit repetative but they are going to be changing things a lot apparently hence the subs and you do need to join a squad (thats easytheres loads) but overall if anyone likes Halo or anything like it they will love it .

19. wolfeh

wolfeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I ordered this from play the other day on a recommendation from a friend, it really looks good.
    I'll see you all in there :clap:

20. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How are you finding it wolfeh ?
    what faction have you joined ?

I really am finding this game amazing now .

it def does need a few changes to make me pay the sub next month but if seen the list of changes and it looks great .

I can only relate this game to playing Halo but bigger and better it really is fantastic as i say it can wear off a bit and it needs changes .

Anyone who gets this game we have an outfit starting on NC and anyone is welcome to join .
    some guys on there get a bit ratty with new people but were all cool ,

as i say i really recomment paying the 25quid to try it anyone who loves games like Halo will love it .

21. wolfeh

wolfeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi, I'm finding it well, different but fun. I joined the Terran Republic on the European Server, under the name "DarkWolfeh".
    I only got the game yesterday, so im still getting into it.
    Its completly different from the other MMORPG I play, Neocron, which is of a slower pace, but more immersive I feel.
    Anyhow I'm off to play PlanetSide too see if i can actualy get the hang of it. :p

22. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cool mate be interested to see your thoughts .

I think youll find it more immersive in an outfit .
    Overclockers.co.uk have a terran republic outfilt (scum) ha ha just messing .

I don`t know if youve seen the new changes comming they look cool .

23. specky

specky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm absolutely addicted to this - I've had it since it was released and I'm on it every night.

24. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bloody hell your right specky .

Ive never played a game so much .
    every night as well .Ive only had it about 12 days but cant leave it alone

25. specky

specky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I might have to get a divorce so I can play it some more!!

26. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LMAO

who do you fight for mate ?

27. specky

specky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NC on Johari and TR on Werner - you?

28. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ha ha just NC on Werner . shame you wasnt other way round .

few of us are trying to get a outfit together .

I belong to one but its far to big theres about 100 in it .
    Think about 20 or 30 is enough .

which do you enjoy most ? and do you find a difference playing on the other server?

29. specky

specky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The johari server lags quite a bit which can be frustrating but I prefer to play NC at the mo (BR8). I'm just getting started with the Terrans on Werner as a dual cycler MAX which is awesome (currently BR4) and I'm working my way up to the Special Assault MiniGun - I think its probably the most powerful weapon in the game - everytime I meet it as an NC MAX, I get wasted. They're particularly good in packs of 3 or 4 grunts pasting you from each side.

As NC I prefer to play as either the Sparrow MAX or Scattercannon MAX. The sparrow is particularly good at bringing down air defenses although its extremely difficult to manoevre and I hate getting stabbed in the back by a cloaker and being unable to turn around quick enough to paste his sorry ar*e all over the floor.

30. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol i know what you mean .

thats the great thing you can play this game how you want .

I don`t play as a max (sometimes feel like changing though)

I have reinforced armour it looks quite cool as im BR15 so its nearly all gold and carry a missile launcher and gun .

Also adv engineer so i creep along laying mines everywhere

fantastic game and bloody addictive .

Im redwing in game so no doubt youll blast my ass in your dual cycler max outfit (man there powerful ) if you see me lol