Quantcast

Planet Of The Apes - 40-Year Evolution Collection Blu-ray Review

The News Bot

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Chris McEneany, 9th November 2008
For roughly seventy quid you get a whole lot o’ monkey business with this lavish boxset. All the movies, polished-up and revamped with new sound and packaged with an interesting array of extra features, plus extended cuts of Conquest and Battle that certainly improve their somewhat stingy and mistaken reputations. The series is a belter and even if you can’t help thinking that the law of diminishing returns applies to it, you owe it to the franchise, and to yourself to revisit each entry with fresh eyes. These are potent and angry films and each one tackles some heavy issues with exuberance, style, visual wit and invention and the irresistible and surprisingly still-believable atmosphere of hyper-simian evolution.</p>The reasons for shelling out for this set are numerous. For fans it is an absolute no-brainer and certainly worth the outlay for the upgrades, the book and the uncut versions. For those with a more casual interest, the prospect of so much aping-about may be daunting, but the series is prime(ate) entertainment through and through – different directors, different approaches, battles, themes, philosophies aplenty – and they effectively showcase American society during its most aggressive and establishment-shaking phase since the Civil War better than anything else – film, book or documentary – made during the late sixties and early seventies.

Schaffner’s original remains the best and most influential but the repercussions from the follow-ons can still be felt in movie-franchises, makeup effects and racial characterisations and exchanges even now. Perhaps Don Murray's nasty Governor Breck in Conquest sums up our fascination with the topic best of all when he asserts that when we look upon the Apes we are really looking at the dark side of ourselves - the canny thing being we never truly destroy our own primal nature, no matter how much we dress it up with technology an so-called civilisation.

Fox have put together an exemplary set – the complete TV show and cartoon series would have great additions though, wouldn’t they – and the packaging is startlingly effective, save for those pesky little disc-hubs. Personally, I love this set and can’t help but recommend it whole-heartedly. Officially, this set gets a 9 out of 10 - but, as far as I am concerned, fans can bump that all the way up to the top of evoluntionary scale!
Read the full review...

IAN P

Novice Member
Region A,well that sucks.I dont think we're gonna see this over here.:(

Good review,cheers.

Chris McEneany

Region A,well that sucks.I dont think we're gonna see this over here.:(

Good review,cheers.
Yes u are, Ian - it's due out in December from Fox Uk and their spec looks to be identical as this one.

Happy Crimbo!!!!!

Cheers,

Chris McEneany :devil:

IAN P

Novice Member
Yes u are, Ian - it's due out in December from Fox Uk and their spec looks to be identical as this one.

Happy Crimbo!!!!!

Cheers,

Thanks mate,i honestly didn't think we'd see this.Great news.Happy Crimbo!!!!!:D

hallanthony

Happy Crimbo!!!!!

Cheers,

Cheers Chris sounds like good news, any detail of the spec - haven't found it myself anywhere; I pre-ordered a copy at WHSmith so was hoping it was the same

I presume we aren't gettting the book - would be nice if it was sold separately