Planet of the Apes (2001)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Lex, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

I just bought Planet of the Apes (R2) and it came in a plastic box - I was expecting it to be a cardboard foldout ala "The Abyss" or "ID4".

Does anyone know if there is a cardboard version out there?

Cheers! Lex.

2. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    No cardboard release is planned, the R2 sleeve artwork is pretty crap aswell, the R1 version is a nice metalic shinny one.

3. morrisb

morrisb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently HMV are doing an exclusive cover. Don't know what it's like though...

4. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    propably same a R1 version.

5. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    You can put all the Features you like on a DVD, but if the film is rubbish then its still rubbish - and the planet of the apes is RUBBISH with a capital RUBBISH!!!

Gary

6. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    why would anyonewant a cardboard front anyway?

Crap movie, not a patch on the original and not that good on its own standing.

7. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +466
    I too cant understand why anyone would want a cardboard case,foldout or not,they are the worst invention ever for DVD's,i just wish Warner would take note of this. As far as the remake of Planet Of The Apes goes,it is a good film well made,its just the ending that is crap!

8. PaulDCocker

PaulDCocker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could someone please explain the ending cos I'm ****ed if I understood it? :(

9. Nick Drew

Nick Drew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HMV version is a slightly different cover. The standard R2 release has a much better cover so I don't know why they bothered! As pointed out earlier, the R1 disk has the best sleeve.

10. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    What is it with people and this movie. I thought it was a million times better than the crap original.

Enjoyed the story and the action sequences. Still no fan of Mark "wallyberg" as I think the lad can't act, but that doesn't take away from (IMO) what is a very enjoyable movie.

Guess if you were a fan of the origianl you'll hate it, but everyone I know that hates the origianl loves the new one - roll on part two :)

11. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    They're both over rated. The original is a boring pulp sci-fi piece of nonsense. The remake is a typically hollow Hollywood throwaway blockbuster.

Prefer the latter to the former, at least it wasn't as tedious.

12. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I disagree totally. As a DVD collector I want my films to be packaged in the best way possible. Of course nice packaging doesn't make a crap film better, but at least it makes it a more desirable product to own.
    Why would you say that they are the worst invention ever? Do you really want your DVDs to be packaged in cheap plastic cases? I take pride in my DVD collection and the way they look on the shelf is important to me.:clown:

13. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You mean you actually, honestly like the card board cases?

Well I never... you're something of a phenomenon Lex. It's generally assumed they are the most hated of packages. But I don't think you mean those at all.

As it is a two disc release (isn't it, not familiar with the R2 release), I'm assuming you don't mean the cheapo Warner Brothers cardboard cases that everyone things you mean, but more of a collectors case, such as the Fightclub packaging?

If so, I agree with you. But I hate the WB cases.

14. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Of course I hate the WB cases they are spawned by the devil. I think other people were talking about foldout cardboard cases like "The Abyss" & "ID4" (at least they were the example I gave for which everyone said I was crazy!!

I bought a R1 south park DVD the other day from the internet - I was very disappointed to find that it was a Warner Bros style case = I was even more disappointed when I opened it to find tha the spindle which holds the dvd in place was broken and the Disc had been moving around in transit and was scratched to buggery!!

15. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The ending cannot be explained. It was just thrown in there because the writers couldn't come up with anything as clever as the original.

THE MOVIE IS DREADFUL - QUITE POSSIBLE THE WORST EVER MADE. THIS IS NOT AN OPINION - IT IS FACT!!

I stopped going to the cinema for a good 5 months after seeing it.

16. titan

titan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have none of you guys read the original book?
    It was much better then either movie and had a more twisty end than the original and at least it made sense unlike the new ending.

the first movie was closer to the book than the sequel. except the monkeys didnt speak english so there was no rubbish about a sore throat.
    he had to learn there language over time and the natives didnt wear clothes (making and wearing of clothes denotes an intelligence that they were supposedely incapable of) so overall neither of the movies made a lot of sense when you think about it.

just my 2c

Nathan

17. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will have a go

OK the first thing you have to try and believe is that time travel through this strange phenomenon that they encountered is not linear, its bends time fairly randomly.

Once you believe that premise it all becomes fairly straight forward :confused: They tried to explain this in the film in a very subtle way in that Mark Wahlberg's monkey actually arrived on the planet after he did even though he entered the phenomenon before him.

So the ending with Thade in place of Lincoln can be explained by somehow he got the original pod out of the swamp, fixed it up got it working, packed an army of apes into the pod, piloted it through the phenomenon landed on earth in 1700 or something like that because of the strange time bending effect of the phenomenon and took over the Earth. So when Mark Wahlberg got back to Earth Thade had already taken over.

All very believable! Hollywood at its best!

18. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If this is fact, then you can point me towards some scientific proof of this, because if I do not agree that the movie is "dreadful" and certainly not "the worst ever made", then surely I am breaking the laws of nature?

19. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The scientific proof is in the eyes of the beholder mate. The "Fact" reference was not supposed to be taken literally, rather it was just my intention of emphasising how much I solely hated the film, hence the capital letters and two exclamation marks at the end of said statement. I do understand your point of confusion though. Unfortunately the written word cannot convey the same sense of meaning as the spoken one, i.e., tone of voice counts for a lot........

20. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    It's not a patch on the original.
    Still, if Hollywood want to take a decent film and run it through their reimaginator to produce a steaming turd that's up to them, I guess. Actually that's probably a bit harsh, but it certainly takes more than just nice picture and sound quality to keep a disc spinning in your player. Yes the sound kicks arse, but the script fell out of one. The film's just too dumb for most of the running time, and then too baffling in the last 5 minutes.

God damn them all...damn them all to hell.

Give me Chuck Heston in his loincloth over Marky Mark in his Calvins any day.

21. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    The original film ending had more of an impact, with the classic 'damn you all' lines plus it was more interesting because of C Hestons potray of a stubborn bloody minded person versus like wise apes.

For those who are planning to read the book, don't read the following!

The book has apes like humans as now, wearing clothes, flying planes, driving cars etc etc, the human of the story convinces the apes of his intelligence, takes a mate has a child is flown out to his mothership travels bak and crash lands on earth, to be rescued by apes!