Planet Earth WHo needs HD display

kjt2004

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Okay

Am i right in thinking that this series was shot in HD:)

The PQ was Outstanding, watching the Dogs on the hunt from the air was awesome:)

Now i was only viewing on my HD compatible plasma but the images seemed crisp and clear ,

So if thats the case and the images were very good on my screen would they have been that much better on a HD screen

Or were they constricted by the broadcast bandwidth:confused:
regards

They said that it was shot in HD and as it was a joint BBC/Discovery venture, I am sure that the Discovery channel will be showing this in HD when sky launch the service. I think that the production is fantastic and can not wait to see it in HD.
I am sure that the BBC increased its fixed bandwidth for this program (which they do from time to time on a program basis) to give it the best they could offer in SD and well done to them for that. It is just a shame that the BBC use up so much bandwidth with 'other projects and interactive' instead of giving us good quality digital TV. I just hope that they are using their spare capacity to good use and are testing HD for their satellite platform but well done for Planet Earth.

Yeah it did look good as did hunt for the world largest snake on channel 5, both looked stunning on my panasonic 42pwd6.

I saw a 42PW8 and 42PHD8 running HD yesterday and at normal viewing distance i could'nt tell which was which? both looked stunning just goes to show how good the pw range really is.

I watched this on my 14" philips portable with indoor aerial in the kitchen (expecting my 506xde next week) and can confirm that the broadcast was indeed of excellent quality! Thats the quality of Philips CRT I guess (tongue firmly in cheek).

14" at 4' for sub £100 or 50" at 10' for £3000+.....hmmm lemme go think about

-Jay- said:
I saw a 42PW8 and 42PHD8 running HD yesterday and at normal viewing distance i could'nt tell which was which? both looked stunning just goes to show how good the pw range really is.

This is something that most PW owners since the series 3 have known for some time - HD material looks simply stunning on them and I see little point in changing my PW4 at this moment in time.

I saw HD in japan and the difference has to be seen to be believed. It also works extremely well with lcd screens. The softness you get with lcd and alis screens just disappears.

I agree about the quality of this broadcast, it was simply stunning. I recorded the program on Sky + and watched most of it again immediatley after. Even my girlfriend was impressed!

If this is a taste of what we have to look forward to when more stuff is recorded in High Definition then it looks like we are in for a treat.

I can't wait to see this kind of program in true HD.

When the Mrs states what a cracking picture as she did last night when I went to bed, it must have been good :)

She watched it our Samsung 26 freeview and me, well I was reading all about the retention issue's with the Pioneer tV i have on order :confused:

Hope it's repeated.

Repeated on Saturday BBC2 6.30 as far as I know

Thats what I said :smashin:

Acecross said:
Repeated on Saturday BBC2 6.30 as far as I know

But with the same high bitrate, high quality Pic? We'll see.

I've noticed with some repeat programmes that the quality is inferior to the original broadcast.

Blast - missed it! :thumbsdow

So all of us viewing on SD machines must be happy:thumbsup:

If thats what we can expect from standard bandwidth

As we wait for true HD machines to come out in a couple of years when hopefully it is the norm rather than the odd programme:eek:

One of the benefits from filming in HD was that they could film from higer up in the helicopter using the HD cameras to resolve more precisely than before, this avoids spooking wolves etc so it all sems more natural.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom