Planet Earth Special Edition

Paku

Established Member
Reaction score
There is a new 'Special Edition' of Planet Earth coming out in October:

Planet Earth - Special Edition [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: David Attenborough: DVD

Curious about the differences to the previous Blu-ray edition I e-mailed 2entertain and they said it would have the following special features:

• The diaries
  • Great Planet Earth Moments
  • Natural World: Secrets of the Maya Underworld
  • Natural World: Snow Leopard
  • Natural World: Desert Lions
  • Audio commentaries
  • Music only episode play
  • Booklet
In addition they also said it would be presented in 1080i50, so that means a proper presentation in the original 25fps, and not slowed down to 24fps like the previous 'US Compatibility Edition.'

If I can manage to get rid of my old version I'll get this for sure, otherwise we'll see, but it's very possible I'll buy it again. I have a hard time not owning the best possible edition of any given movie. :)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks for pointing this out - I've now sold my earlier version to get this, as I loved the diaries at the end of each episode, and the Snow Leopard wildlife feature was amazing too.

The fact that it's now also at 25fps is a bonus!

I have received my copy of the new special edition today.

The set consists of 4 x BD50, 1 BD25 and 1 DVD.

* Each episode with new 1080i50 VC1 encodes (Disc 1-4)
* DTS HD HR 5.1 audio
* Production diary for each episode included as extra features on the discs (SD)
* Great Planet Earth Moments documentary (SD)
* Natural World: Secrets of the Maya Underworld (SD)
* Natural World: Snow Leopard
* Natural World: Desert Lions
* Audio commentaries
* HFH Subtitles
* Music only episode play (Dolby 2.0)
* 24 page colour booklet

I have done a quick comparison with some of the problems scenes from the previous release and the banding issues are look to be gone . The descriptions on the back mentions "all the episodes re-encoded to a standard not previously available".

The packaging seems very similar to the original release, and consists of two smaller digipacks each containing 3 discs held together by an outer slipcase.

Overall a very nice upgrade and recommended if you enjoyed the previous release.

Last edited:
I was looking at this but apparently there is a problem with the way some of the discs have been mastered:
"Normal Edition"
d2e4cavesre.jpg

"Special Edition"
d2e4cavesse.jpg

"Normal Edition"
d2e5desertsre.jpg

"Special Edition"
d2e5desertsse.jpg

"Normal Edition"
d3e7greatplainsre.jpg

"Special Edition"
d3e7greatplainsse.jpg

"Normal Edition"
oceansdeepsmall.jpg

"Special Edition"
desertssmall.jpg

Mainly Disc 2 and Disc 3 have been incorrectly transferred with the gamma set way too high according to the screenshots. IMO, it makes the whole set not worth buying so I'll be waiting for the (corrected) re-release.

P.S. as confirmation, after other folks complaints were sent to 2Entertain, this was their reply:
2Entertain said:
Thank you for contacting us with regard to your Planet Earth Special Edition Blu-ray set.

We have experienced a technical fault with discs 2 (Caves, Deserts, Ice Worlds) and 3 (Great Plains, Jungles, Shallow Seas) in this set from one manufactured batch.

If you believe your discs to be from the faulty batch please send them in without the packaging to Freepost address below and we will send out a replacement free of charge.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.

2e DVD Support

Freepost RLUH-JZZZ-AXAR
2 entertain
DVD Support
33 Foley Street
LONDON
W1W 7TL

...like I said, I can wait till they re-issue the boxset (I wonder how long it will take for current shop stock to "run-out" so that I'm sure I'll get a re-issue? :rolleyes:)

I have a hard time not owning the best possible edition of any given movie. :)

You might want to look at 'Earth', the feature film version of Planet Earth. Earth [Blu-ray] [2007]: Amazon.co.uk: Patrick Stewart, James Earl Jones, Ulrich Tukur, Ken Watanabe, Alastair Fothergill, Mark Linfield, Alix Tidmarsh, Amanda Hill, Andre Sikojev, Connie Nartonis Thompson, Don Hahn, Jon Thompson, Melissa Caron, Micha

This is the theatrical version, graded, sound mixed and mastered for cinema from the raw original elements, and looks and sounds massively better than the television box sets, particularly on a pj or large telly and with a decent sound system.

I don't believe them at all when they say this fault comes from "one manufactured batch" - why would they alter settings as crucial as this simply for mass pressing plastic discs in between batches ?
I reckon all of them are faulty (mine certainly is) and they are claiming it is one batch to play down the damage to their reputation and having to recall every box set made - they are obviously hoping that most people either won't notice or won't bother.
They obviously did not quality control on this one at all.
What makes me suspicious is I have 3 different friends - one who bought it from HMV, another online at Play, a third bought it from a local independent media retailer and I got mine from Amazon and they ALL have the same faults.

I bought mine recently then read this thread and popped the disc in to check and I dont have it so it cant be them all.

Well, I received my Special Edition set today from amazon.co.uk, and can confirm that it (thankfully) came with the corrected discs!
Needless to say, I'm damn happy about it!! :smashin:

Re looking at them pictures the special edition a lot of the detail is burnt out.

Damn I got the normal version. have we to not buy anything these days first relice and wait for a special coming out

Last edited:
Re looking at them pictures the special edition a lot of the detail is burnt out.

Damn I got the normal version. have we to not buy anything these days first relice and wait for a special coming out

Sorry. Let me get this right.

Planet Earth original UK bluray release has the "blown-out" picture.

Plnet Earth Special Edition UK bluray has the "correct" picture.

Is this correct?

How can you tell from packaging which one you have?

Lastly, is there any other differences between the original release and the new Special Edition ? Thank you. :smashin:

No, the old regular edition was always fine. The initial batch of the new Special Edition had blown-out whites, but they've since corrected it, and if you happen to get a set with bad discs you can contact 2entertain to get them replaced.

The additional features on the SE are listed in the first post of this thread. It also has DTS-HD HR audio instead of the Dolby Digital audio on the regular edition.

Last edited:
I can confirm that the picture on the special edition i received from Amazon yesterday is ok. Looks like oboe the early batch was affected and the problem has been corrected.

Any new features on this one? And does it retain all the old features?

Any new features on this one? And does it retain all the old features?

I don't remember the original having much in the way of extras apart from the Snow Leopard and Desert Lion discs but according to the first post this new release has audio commentaries and documentaries but the biggest plus for me is that it is now in the correct 1080i50hz and has been upgraded from DD5.1 to DTS-HD

The diaries are a great extra on this new set - showing how each episode was made.

I sent back my two defective disks, and they sent me the replacements, plus a free DVD of David Attenborough's First Life! Very nice of them I thought!

Received my copy today from Amazon UK, and can also confirm newer fixed discs 2 and 3 included.

Check serial numbers on the discs:

good batch is:
disc 2
outer: IFPI LY25 A0101728442-A926 1000
inner: IFPI LY24 A0101728442-B926 1000 or IFPI LY24 A0101728442-B926 1000 2A00

disc 3
outer: IFPI LY25 A0101728430-A936 1000
inner: IFPI LY24 A0101728430-B936 1000 or IFPI LY24 A0101728430-B936 1000 3A00

Just got mine today from Amazon, Dics 2 and 3 are the correct ones. :thumbsup:

more planet earth special editions announced in the U.S with a limited edition globe set.

INFO HERE

Attachments

• PE.jpg
    PE.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 670
Last edited:
That's very nice if it as a little base to stop it rolling off the shelf :laugh:

Could someone link me to the best possible release of this: Never seen any of 'em before, Planet Earth, Life, Earth... but would like to give one of 'em a go :)

PS: Or is it worth waiting for the new US set linked above?

Could someone link me to the best possible release of this: Never seen any of 'em before, Planet Earth, Life, Earth... but would like to give one of 'em a go :)

PS: Or is it worth waiting for the new US set linked above?
Get this one. No reason to wait for the US set if you're in the UK.

this is the cheapest i can find without any codes at zavvi delivered.

here £16.85

also use quidco to save even more!

Definitely get the UK Special Edition, even if the new US set has all the extras it will still be at the wrong speed.

Definitely get the UK Special Edition, even if the new US set has all the extras it will still be at the wrong speed.

yes and theres rumours that the new edition will have poorer audio...it may be just a rehash...reissue which often happens..glossed up in a new package!

indiana's right buy british cant go wrong at those prices!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom