• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Planet Avacado

netronelson

I tried to narrow down the theme by thinking of various contrasts like rough and smooth, hard and soft, light and dark, etc - When an avacado popped into my head (this hobby really is bizarre sometimes!!)... and then I couldn't think of a reason not to do it!

So with a subject in mind the challenge became how to make it interesting (after all, it is a picture of an avacado!), and after playing about for a bit, from certain angles I thought it looked like some kind of other worldly object, and, well - here you go! :D

Planet Avacado
3213238881_78f591eb17_b.jpg

I followed a tutorial from last months Digital Photo magazine which encourages playing with different light sources and then merging into one image - this is actually 2 images, each one taken over 10 seconds and lit with a maglite hovered around near the subject, one from very close under the left side, and one from higher on the right. Then in PS simple use a large eraser down the middle to blend the two photos...

The irony was that i've just spent ages upgrading all my kit, and in the end took the final shot with my £100 Sigma 70-300 and a torch :rolleyes: !

You can see the originals (and get the exif's) in my FlickR link, along with a few of the other attempts.

Cheers,

Nelson.

Dave

Distinguished Member
Nice idea and you've obviously put a lot of effort in. I quite like the fact it's simply an avocado but looks kind of alien.:D

Last edited:

onefivenine

Nice idea and well executed.

I had originally decided on a similar shot using a peach, but I couldn't get the flesh to come away cleanly from the stone so gave up.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom