Plane Movie Review & Comments

Mark Costello

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
Great review Mark. I came across this film just a couple of days ago & liked the sound of it so put it on my Watchlist & this review has given me even more excitement; it sounds like they're trying to do something a little different with it. I really enjoyed Gerard Butler just a few days ago in Greenland so I'm looking forward to catching up with him in this one.

Last edited:
Watched it last night. Really enjoyed and agree with your review M. Not your typical action film that you’d it expect it to be. All hail the 50cal 🙌🏼🙌🏼

I watched it this morning, and 7/10 is a fair score, I thought it was going to be a run-of-the-mill action movie, but I was left pleasantly surprised.
Very enjoyable.

Cheers Mark. Another absolute couch job for me, but one I'll look forward to given it's been pretty well received by yourself and others.

I’ll watch it when it lands on iTunes

i saw it and enjoyed it. nothing we havent seen before but is that a bad thing necessarily? thankfully no signs of "the message". if you are at a loose end its worth a trip to the multiplex but certainly worth a view when it streams. agree a 7 is fair.

Saw it in an empty screening tonight. Early scenes on the plane create some moderate tension and sets the tone. It’s fairly ho hum thereafter though, doesn’t go full Butler ridiculous until the climax. Not terrible, not great. We did have a bit of a laugh. 5/10

Last edited:
Very straight-to-video for me.
Opens OK but descends like the plane for a nonsensical landing into poor story and acting territory for much of the cast.
Gerry, as the beat down former minority Scot RAF pilot with a grudge (who saw that card being played?), has some howlers to spit out but at least the inbred rebels appear deaf and visually impaired in various escape moments and not able to literally hit a taxiing airplane with machine guns to any effect or, an RPG - but then the latter adds one laugh at least: ah, those who procrastinate...
I was expecting what turned out to be a missed opportunity in a postcard moment, though, but then we did get Mike Colter's attempt at a foreign (to him) sounding French accent because, ya know, I was in the Foreign Legion - you can't write this stuff, though apparently someone did..
Butler and Colter do their best, I guess, with what they had.
Certainly not worth cinema money.

I really enjoyed this. I shall watch it many times
I thought it would make a good double bill with Owen Wilson's No Escape

Nice to see Gerard get to do 30 seconds of acting at the end.

I have mixed feelings about this film, whilst mostly I enjoyed it, if you know a little bit about airplanes then it might be a problem.

Yes you have to suspend disbelief when watching movies at times but some of the aircraft nonsense was a bit too much for me. If you are a pilot put some mesh over your screen before watching it as you will be chucking stuff.

Another poor bit is the cgi, again the airplane but there isn't too much of that. Probably the highlight was when the action turned to someone with a 0.50cal.

Without trying to give too many spoilers it's a bit of what you expect with a Butler film and the for shadowing of a character is just confirming what I was expecting.

Dispite the negatives, I'd still give it another watch especially if it has a decent atmos track. Maybe they could overlay The Account's 0.50cal sound over the bits here too.

The Mrs enjoyed it too although she knows less about airplanes. She did suffer a similar weather flight that ended up having to do a stop over in Washington so maybe there was a bit more realisim for her in that part being dragged to the front of her brain.

I gelled with the phone call, having been stuck in a jungle and after 4 hours of trying to get someone on the phone, was told to ring back as he was just the test engineer!

I hope you all enjoy it more than me and look forward to contributing to the spoiler thread of aircraft issues.

I liked it.

Was what I expected in terms of enjoyment and was surprised by the way it developed - I disagree that it went as expected. Its a bit differen let's be honest

I went in watching this one thinking it would be a bad movie, but I actually liked it and 7/10 is very fair imo. It had some cool moments in it like
Hitting the main bad guy at the end with the plane to kill him! I mean, if you're going to do a movie called "Plane" then you want to kill the bad guy with said plane, right? Yesss!

Watched this on 4k Blu a couple of nights ago, with a mate/neighbour, who is also a pilot.
We spent almost the entire film taking the piss out of how badly put together the different aircraft types used to make the whole were, and Butlers actions throughout the whole pre-flight/flight sequence. As @Gerry557 has said, if you know anything remotely about aviation - you'll struggle to accept what you're watching and will end up shouting at the screen!

Though we've decided to let all (non pilot) people we know, believe that we are entirely capable of doing pretty much everything that Butler and his co-pilot managed once on the ground - just hand me the speed-tape and we're good to go!

An implausible B-movie plot, with what was obviously the lack of budget to match. It does have a decent Atmos soundtrack though!

I'm struggling to give it a 5/10 - maybe a 4+ if I were feeling generous!

I watched this last night via an Apple TV rental. Having just re-read Mark's review I can see where he's coming from with it even if I don't rate the film quite as highly. I see that the thing is getting 6.5 on IMDb & that feels about right to me; I couldn't quite bring myself to give it a 7 (as Mark did) so I gave it a 6. It isn't a great film but it isn't a bad film either; it's reasonably entertaining even with 2 dimensional baddies and a few cliches thrown in for good measure; Gerard Butler is on good form as usual & prevents the film from sinking without trace.

Now flying high on Prime.

Watched this on Prime yesterday. It delivered exactly what I expected, with zero surprises right down to the fate of the main characters. Super generic stuff, but perfectly watchable. Didn't buy Butler as a airline pilot though...

6/10

very good, some good action and nothing OTT or eye-rolling.

Watched this on Prime yesterday. It delivered exactly what I expected, with zero surprises right down to the fate of the main characters. Super generic stuff, but perfectly watchable. Didn't buy Butler as a airline pilot though...

6/10

You can tell Butler is following in Liam Neeson's footsteps :)

This was serviceable. I'd go for a 7, but could have been better.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom