Planar 7010 light blobs and flickering, any help?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by 1ellis2345, Feb 8, 2009.

1. 1ellis2345

1ellis2345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I bought a Planar PD7010 a few weeks ago and I have noticed a flickering on light areas of the picture and also a a few light areas on the screen that are only visable on a black scene, one large one at the bottom left of the screen.

Also because i don't have a screen (firing onto a light grey wall) i have light blobs off screen all over the wall. There is also quite a lot of dust on what looks like the inside of the lens!

It doesn't ruin the quality of the picture i think! cause i have not seen a 7010 without these wierd problems to compare it too.

I have emailed Planar and waiting for a reply but i was wondering if anyone else has these problems? Thanks.

2. crowleyp

crowleyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I also have a large lighter area on the bottom right of the screen - impossible to notice when viewing anything (even dark scenes). Only visible when the projector is showing a blank screen, such as when you change inputs.

Irritated me to begin with, as I wanted it to be perfect. But now don't think about it.

I have no flickering or off screen light blobs.

3. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,428
    You will always see a lot of small bits of dust on the inside of the lens, but most of the time you'll never see these affecting your picture. As for the flickering, I think I may have come across that before. A hair may have found it's way into the projector, and be stuck onto something, with one end being free, which, with the air passing through it, acts in a 'vibrating' motion. I'm trying to explain this as easily as I can! Basically, there could be a hair in there that's being blown about causing a flickering effect. It needs a clean.

4. 1ellis2345

1ellis2345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

Thanks for your replies guys.

This is my 6th projector and never noticed dust on the inside of the lens before, but on the other hand, never needed to have a look before lol.

Not sure if the light blobs are anything to do with the dust and the light patches on the screen i think are just light blobs on the screen but they blend in a little.

I have discovered another little curiosity though, the settings seem to change themselves. When i first installed the projector i set the brightness, contrast and so on, only to find that when i turned it on the next time the settings would be different.

I thought that it was me not doing something right but the other night i was watching a film and the settings changed half way through the film. For example, it turned the blank screen from black to red and the bulb from eco to normal! And when i pressed the M1 button to load my setting again it changed everything (screen upside down and reversed). So i think the unit is a little sick.

Planar have replied and asked me to call them and have the projector in front of me. So this weekend i will be taking it down and calling them to see what they have to say.

James.