Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Plamsa (Panny/Pioneer) v's DLP Rear Projection

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Shocks, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Shocks

Shocks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok, so having spent the last few weeks seriously reviewing the options at hand I was thrown a wobbler yesterday on a trip to my local AV store where they were singing the praises of the Sagem DLP Rear Projection. I have to admit in the side by side demo's it did look a lot crisper than the Panny (Viera & PW6) and Pioneer 434 HDE that up till now were slugging it out to get my cash.

So here is the dilemna, what do you rate in as a better buy :

Panasonic Viera
    Pioneer 435
    Sagem Axium

I'm perplexed as to the best choice having seen the side by side (in a quality setup so no crappie interconnects etc). The only clear advantage is in the "her in doors" dept where she prefers the wall mount of the plasma having put up with our current rear projection behomth for the past 4 years it does seem like taking a step back in the size department.

Your thoughts, wisdom and flames... please.... :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

2. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Given the 42" Viera is an SD panel anyway maybe HDTV is not important to you at this point. However if you aim to keep the TV for a while then I would avoid the Panny like the plague because of its lack of DVI/HDMI input. It wont be able to run a SKY HDTV picture which is HDCP copy protected. I can see the model being replaced by Panasonic in the next few months or even sooner after Sky's recent announcement.

The Pioneer is a High Def panel to start off with and will be SKY HDTV compatible. Have no idea on the Sagem.

3. Shocks

Shocks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Good point, hadn't thought about the impact of HD on the Panny Viera, and yes HD will be important - least come 2006 when it's readily available to me on Sky, shame as it's a good looking display on the aesthetics front.

Back to the Pioneer then :)

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Nail on head, hit you have, friend of mine (makes more sense in a Yoda voice)

5. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Oh and I dont think the Sagem offers HDCP either.

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    The new Sagem HD-D45 is compatible with 720p and 1080i @50Hz signals on the DVI-HDCP input, which is what will be used on Sky's HD system. The unit is only 34cm deep, so not quite a behemoth. ;)

Steve

7. Shocks

Shocks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Anything that isn't getting wall mounted is in the "behemoth" range if you talk to my wife - we have a 44" RP right now - though we have more than enough room for this (not like we're putting this in a tiny room ;-).

Looking at the options it's looking like the pioneer - can't seem to justify spending 2K on a DLP and not really get much more benefit from it versus a decently connected Pioneer. Would much rather spend more on that to get the aesthetics that come with wall mounting... now just need to figure out te wall structures and re-raggle the cabling for my KEF eggs to be side by side with a plasma wall mount....

Any recommendations on putting a power switch setup in ? everything else will be routed back to the AV cabinet but thinking I need to have some rocker type switch for the power on/off for the wall mount will be a good option.