1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plamsa Issues.....Panasonic PW7/LG PX11

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sli, Nov 30, 2004.

1. sli

sli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at both of these as an option, but need some help on the LG. Will be using an xbox and (eventually) an HTPC using the monitor output of the graphics card to connect to the plasma.

Panny - Everyone is giving rave reviews everywhere (always a good sign!), but it is gonna cost around £1800 with a stand and free scart board.

LG - Not so many reviews, the thread on here is ~30 pages long and havent got time to read it all! Seem to get a good impression. whats the screen generally like, is it worth saving the £400 on the panny, will i really not notice any obvious difference? how does lg make use of the dual tuners?

Would like to go for the lg as the price is good and the saving means i can buy a new amp or/and speakers, but if the panny is REALLY worth the extra money then looks like i'll have to cave!! ;)

Thanks all for your help! i hope you can shed some light on my dillema :clap:

2. bigtruth

bigtruth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sli..... you've answered your own question, every one here will advice you to buy PW7, but if you are looking to save money, then go for LG, I have PX11 and very happy with it, buy you will have to make your own decision. I think at the end of the the day which ever you decide to go for, you will be happy.
    If you can find time to read the LG thread, you will find out more than you need to know about the screen, I am sure you have seen all the reviews on PW7.

Regards

3. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    They are both very good screens. There is a lot to be said for good setup for either set, which really doesn't help to soften the viewpoints around here.

It really isn't easy to say whether you will notice an obvious difference - there are potentially visible problems with either. You may see a distinct problem on one but not the other, distinct problems on both but not much difference or indeed see few/no problems on both. Only you can really answer that question.

However, if you wish to connect a PC to the screen, then you may want to think about including the LG PX12 in your deliberations - you can (if it's in stock!) get it for less than a PW7 with board(s), but it has a higher resolution than either the PX11 or PW7 - something that may be of distinct benefit.

4. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

5. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The simplest, high quality setup is to have an amp that converts S-Video to Component (Denon?), run everything in to the amp, and then component from the amp to the plasma.

If you've already got an amp, and it doesn't do the conversion, running everything to the amp and then both Component and S-Video to the plasma would still give good quality, but it's a bit more inconvenient when you switch between devices (you may need to switch source on both the amp *and* the plasma).

You can almost certainly do better than either of the above setups, but not without significant cost, and possibly a more convoluted setup.