1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plamsa Battle

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cheeky, Jul 19, 2005.

1. cheeky

cheeky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the process of convincing her indoors who must be obeyed to change our 28inch wide screen tv for a plasma.

I've put a good case forward and thought I had won the battle until my wife said that having a plasma located on the wall above the fire place would be too high for our son to watch. Our son is currently 16 months old and I guess will start watching childrens stuff in a few months. She is worried that looking up will cause discomfort especially when kids tend to watch tv from the floor.

Does anyone have any comments/ thoughts on this? Do you have young kids and a plamsa on the wall?

Thanks in advance for helping my aid to get a plasma.

Rob :thumbsup:

2. bkny

bkny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know much about this but I do know there is a thread here about mounting above fireplaces, worth a look and you may well have already seen it, so may not answer your specific question (may be worth changing your subject so people will look in if they know about this sort of thing)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227433

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    cheeky

Generally the advise is not to mount the kids on the wall - mind you they do ping around a lot and can usually stick to walls.

No matter what height you set the Display at the kids are attracted like moths and will create a 'staircase' so they can 'touch' the screen - hands up who's had sticky finger prints on the big TV?

Kids TV show designers make the screen look like a big interactive 'touch panel' and kids tend to want to get interactive I find!!!

I find mounting the TV above the mantle too high for my liking - no matter what the kids like!

Have you considered retaining your TV for daytime and a Projector for night time/movies?

Best regards

Joe

4. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We have our 37PV500 just sitting on the floor (no base or anything) and that seems fine. It also avoids the 'hey look everyone, we've got a plasma' look...

5. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    I have a 2 1/2 yr old, my old CRT go all sorts on the screen so I wanted to avoid this on the plasma. The bottom of my screen is 4ft high and it doesn't bother us parents or the child.
    If you have a small room it may be a problem, try a paper templete on the wall.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15686

6. cheeky

cheeky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick replies. :thumbsup:

My concern is only the viewing angle and height for both myself and the little one. Although it would be mounted above the fire place there is no fire so temperature is not an issue. I would use this space to shelve the amp, dvd etc.

A plasma on the wall would free up alot of space and also put the tv in the centre of the room. Plus I also won't to put the tv out of reach of those sticky fingers! My son thinks it's great to repeatedly turn the tv on and off.

Does anyone have a link or info on recommended viewing angles and heights?

7. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    How high are you planning to mount it and how far away are you going to sit?

I find it is an ideal position as it is in the middle of the wall, rather than being stuck in a corner.

8. cheeky

cheeky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure on exact measurements until I get home tonight but it's roughly 4ft up and the sofa is about 7-8 ft away.

9. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Are'nt kids great.....
    When my son was 2, he decided to run across the front room and use my 42" RP to stop himself.
    It took me age's to take all the screws out of the TV, so i could put the screen back in place, after he had pushed it 8 inch's into the TV.

If you got young ones and you want a plasma, i would advise putting it down low and then put a fire guard round it..... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

If it's on the wall and they cannot reach it, they will probably start throwing there toys at it.. :eek: :D

10. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    I sit either 8 feet or 12 feet away, mine is 4ft off the ground, no problems.

Pics attached, taken from eye level, 8ft and 12ft.

Attached Files:

11. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have my 42" plasma on a stand a couple of foot above the floor. I used to have a 32" CRT there and my young son with severe learning difficulties managed to scratch the screen with one of his toys that he used to tap on everything. I really wanted a plasma but didn't want to mount it on the wall, so I took a risk and put it on the stand. It is the ideal height for us to watch from about eight foot away.

However, my son is still a toddler mentally even though he's aged seven and he loves to watch CBeeBies from as close as possible. He sits on the floor right in front of the screen with his neck craned almost upwards. I don't know how he manages it. Eventually he lies on the floor as that must be more comfortable for him. I think it would be much more difficult for him if the screen was higher up.

He did try touching the screen at first and even leaning his head on it, but we always told him off immediately and he soon learned to leave it alone. We occasionally get a sneeze over it from close range, but it easily wipes off. The only real danger is that he is unstable on his feet like any other toddler and can fall onto the screen. In fact he did this a couple of weeks ago holding a toy which left skid marks on the screen. Thankfully the marks wiped off as they were probably from the gunk that normally covers young children's hands.

So I'd say that for children it's easiest for them to have the screen low down, but by far much safer to have it high up. I have a permanent toddler, so I don't think I could keep the screen out of his reach permanently.

12. cheeky

cheeky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all for sharing your experiences - kids are great but don't mix well with expensive technology!

I've come to the conclusion that my requirements conflict with each other. I want a plasma mounted above the fireplace, to create more space and to deliver the best sound and vision but I also want my son to be able to watch TV without hurting his neck.

I measured the height and my fireplace finishes 75cm above floor level. Ideally the bottom of the plasma would be 80cm up, which isn't that bad. This is still reachable but I might have to deploy more discipline!

Decisions Decisions.