1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plain English Guide to backing up own copies

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by samhain, Nov 1, 2004.

1. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I have got a really annoying child that seems hell bent on scratching every game I have.

Where can I get a plain english guide on how to back up my games. I am going out of my mind trying to work it out and read about all the software and techniques.

Thanks

2. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    the only way to backup your games so they are an identical 1:1 copy is to use CloneCD or Alcohol 120% with the exact right settings and a high quality cd writer. It's certainly not easy, and doesn't work most of the time.

In most cases, you'll end up with a copy of the CD, you won't be able to play the game because it will know you have put in a copy rather than an original.

That's not the be all and end all though, as you can get what is called a "noCD crack" which modifies the game's executable to not do the cd-check.

This can however affect the ability to patch the game, as many patches check to see if the executable has been modified.

I don't want to go into much more detail without a mods permission as it's verging on a piracy discussion as it stands, so google is your best bet to find out this stuff.

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    It might be a more apt title to "Have a plain English guide to putting up high shelves or lockable cabinets" :p

I am sorry but this is very bordering on the edge of piracy, please remember it is illegal to copy games onto any other media apart from the original media it came from.

4. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122

Yes I appreciate the complexities surrounding copyright infringments, but as I understand it, provided you bought and paid for the licence you can have as many personal back ups as you like.

Thanks though

5. Chanser

Chanser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    I thought your only allowed one backup?

6. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I have exactly the same problem with my young child. I gave up copying along time ago when games started coming in 4 or 5 discs CD's.

If you have legally bought the game, there is no reason that a 'noCD crack' shouldn't work perfectly for your situation. They are regularly updated as patches are released, so there really is no need to walk the legal tightrope by tryiung to copy discs.

7. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I don't think your allowed to back up at all in this country, bought and paid for or not. My mate has a good philosophy on this and speed cameras, it's only illegal if you get caught. :confused:

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I'm sure it's basically the license to play the game that you are effectively buying when you purchase the software and the cost of the media and box is only a small amount of the cost. Therefore if you have bought the game you are within your rights to make backup copies of the game for your own personal use. You only break the law if you give or sell one of the copies to someone who doesn't own the game. Your actions are then classed as piracy as you are selling unauthorised copies of the license when you are not legally allowed to do so.

I also thought that there were laws prohibiting the loaning or rental of games to other people although we all lend our games to mates who are then using the game illegaly without purchasing a license. After all if you lend all of your games to a mate then they are playing games for free that they otherwise may have bought themselves - is this any different to lending or giving them a backup of the game. My post is in no way looking to condone any kind of piracy, just to highlight how daft the current system is and basically how unenforceable current piracy laws due to software companies not doing anything serious to combat the problem.

There is also a huge grey area over the selling of 2nd hand games, although several high street shops, ebay and even this forum fully condone this action. In selling the game again we are actually selling a license that we bought in a way that isn't actually authorised.

As has been said numerous times before this discussion can go on and on and the ONLY way Piracy (on what ever level you choose to look at) will stop is if Software companies treat it as a serious issue, instead of releasing poxy, easy to crack protection systems.

9. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    the thing is, there are some good protection systems out there like starforce, but they charge an absolute bomb for it to be used, so to maximise profits companies tend to go for something like safedisc, which any cracker can get through in an hour or so. There have been a couple of games, such as Gangsters which used starforce, but that didn't sell well anyway due to being rubbish. There won't ever be a protection that can't be beaten though, there's always going to be a cracker who can program better than whoever wrote the protection, all they can do is slow them down a bit.

I think the "fade" protection is the most interesting, despite being a blatant lie. Codemasters introduced it on operation flashpoint, and it was said to slowly degrade the game's performance over time to the point it would become unplayable. I actually own that game, but i still cracked it to see if fade actually worked, and never noticed anything happen. SI have introduced a similar protection on Football Manager 2005. Apparently cracked copies will work, but certain features will not function properly, such as regens, so after 4 or 5 seasons the game will be unplayable.

10. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Actually its the DMCA from the US which prohibits this, but I don't think the european one forbids a single backup in case of damage.

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Essentially all cracks can be broken and I was basically suggesting that companies focus more on other methods. Obviously pay per play and systems like Steam are the future but they could also consider methods such as using non standard media to release the games on. Releasing them on cheap DVD's or CD's only makes piracy 100% easier.

Naturally it will cost the companies more to do this but if they are losing the money they claim from piracy then surely it's a move worth making. Nintendo did this with the Gamecube and you hardly ever see copied gamecube discs about. Sure you can download them but the media type means that people struggle to burn them as the discs are not readily available. Also if the media type becomes a standard for that console then the only extra costs are in the initial setup to produce the discs.

The way I see it is that either the problem isn't as bad as companies sometimes make out or they are just burying their heads in the sands & hoping it will go away.

12. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Yep, less bitchin more action.
    If Nintendo can find a simple effective way like with the GC then why cant all these big multynationals do it?

I think they like to blame lost revenu on pirates and hackers as scapegoats.

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Exactly, it's like if someone had dropped £100 on the floor by mistake I bet there would be quite a large proportion of people who would pick it up and keep it (instead of doing the lawful thing in handing it over at a police station). I bet though that only a very, very small proportion of those people would go through with breaking in to someones home or robbing a bank to get that same money.

Video games are not exempt from the world & the way things (unfortunately) work. If we own an expensive car or other expensive items we will do what is required to make them difficult to steal. We wouldn't just leave the car unlocked with the keys in the ignition and if we did, i'm sure very few people would have much sympathy for us.

Likewise, if video games firms release games on media that can be bought for about 15p a go and with pathetic copy protection then surely they can't be surprised if their games get pirated. I'd like to see the industry actually do something serious for once to combat this threat as I can only see it benefiting legitimate gamers in the long run.

14. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,540
    i thought re-gens were disposed of years ago in CM?

15. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    nah regens still exist, they're just less obvious these days. i think they may have meant the whole player generation system ie any fake players, rather than just regens of famous players, but they did say regens. They didn't say what would happen with them; just that the game would become unplayable. Maybe every one will be a regen of Emile Heskey, so they'll give away free kicks on the edge of the area in the last minute of every match, and never score more than 5 goals in a season.

16. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    it's easy to stop pirated games or dvds stop ripping the british consumer off

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Na, even if games were half the price most people would copy them given the chance - just look at cd's! They need to make the content impossible to use unless you buy it and pay per play type methods is the only way.