Placing a light on top of Monolith DF?

drude

Standard Member
Reaction score
Having read this forum awhile, and as a result, now being an owner of a Monolith DF (which is fantastic, btw), I wonder if anyone can help me with a query.

Is there any reason not to put an electric light on top of my sub? A friend recently gave me a customised Ikea light which now has a number of extra functions, such as changing colour in time to music. It would look great on top of my Monolith but I don't want to affect the sound adversely. Any thoughts?

One of the tests of a good speaker is that it's cabinet is as inert as possible i.e. it does not resonate, or has minimal resonance.

I can't see a sub being any different - you would not want the cabinet to be resonating, therefore it should not transmit any vibrations to anything placed upon it.

I should have been a little clearer. I am sure it isn't going to vibrate off as the cabinet seems free of resonance. My worry was that the electronics in the light might affect the amp inside the sub in some way - I remember being gently chastised by a friend who is an audio engineer for having a pebble light on top of an Arcam separates system for that reason.

I'd be more worried about the power in the DF affecting the light! You've nothing to worry about beyond mains hum if the light's power cable is anywhere near the subs low level input. If you have a proper sub interconnect, that won't be a problem either.

Other suggested lifestyle accessories for placing on subs include this beauty.

Russell

russ.will said:
Other suggested lifestyle accessories for placing on subs include this beauty.

Russell

I don't even have to look to know this is a picture of some stuffed bird on a fridge, right?

Nimby said:
Is there a glimmer of hope for this thread?. :D

Well, I got my help and the light is happily changing colour on top of my sub. I am finding it easy enough to ignore the ornament suggestions and resist the lure of the eagle...

I took a pic but it doesn't really show anything worth my bothering to post it online. Imagine a 9" glass ball on top of a monolith and you get the picture. It's the way the light changes (gently over time in one mode and to music in another) that is really cool. However, the internet is full enough of pointless video clips without me adding another ;)

Deeply disappointed, Drude!

I had my whole weekend set aside for this special moment!

Are you sure we can't interest you in an eagle?:devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom