Placement of rear speakers?

carpeteyes

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm just about to enter in to the addictive world of 5.1. I'm buying a set of Tannoy FX5.1 today to go with a Pioneer vscx301.
I.m not sure where to put all the speakers though, the fronts will fit allong side the tv and the sub will go against one of the chairs but i'm not sure where to put the rears? we mostly use the 3 seater for viewing the tv. Any ideas thanks.

Attachments

• front room.jpg
    front room.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 408
Put them in the top left and top right corner of the picture. Facing in towards each other firing at just above head height (whislt sitting).

If you are concerned about other people getting better sound then perhaps face them towards the tv a bit more, but its not really worth it if you use the 3 seater yourself.

My furniture is in pretty much the same place as yours, apart from my tv is on the wall over the fire.
My surround speakers are placed where munkay suggested for yourself, top left and right.
If you have anyone sat in the chair at the side they don't get the full benefit, but I have them positioned for mine and my wifes pleasure, not for any visitors that come round have to and sit in the cheap seat.:D
Unless of course I'm giving a demo.

I would agree with Stellavision.

Question is with a simlar room layout and 6.1 where would you put the (3) speakers??

Originally posted by kevtotty

Question is with a simlar room layout and 6.1 where would you put the (3) speakers??

In the middle of the back wall between the 2 side surrounds.

Originally posted by kevtotty
What about RH rear behind single seat with Centre & LH behing sofa????
While sat in the sofa at the back, with that configuration you would have a surround speaker significantly forward of the listening poition and too close to the front speakers.
Very bad!

You are trying to get an optimum surround sound from two different locations in the room, and for the best results this really is not possible.

That's not to say you couldn't place the speakers where you suggest but you will not get great performance.

Hi,

My room is similar.

I have placed one speaker to the left of the armchair (in your diagram) and the other on the top right corner, on the same wall as the door. Theses speakers are angled towards each other and then have a sixth rear centre on the back wall, equi-distant between teh opther two.

When I watch movies, I just push the sofa out an angle so that I am face on with the TV and the speakers line up.

This is the recommended the configuration for this room layout in all the magazines and also the advice I got at the Bristol show.

See the attached diagram of mine (option 2 is the one I went for)

I would choose option 1, as you want to keep rear left-right speaker distances as near identical as possible to you. Better three reasonably good seats than five poor ones - surround-wise.

If the sofa can be freely moved for movie-watching the second option might come into play.

Thanks for the advice.
I have decided to put the rear speakers eather side of the sofa about a foot away from the side walls , just above head hight.
To be honest though i'm not 100% happy with the sound as a whole. I was expecting that 'wow!' factor when I switched it on. but it just dosent sound that good, I havent even dragged all my mates round for a listen yet! I think its set up ok but not having 5.1 before i'm not really sure what to change. I've set the speaker settings the correct distance away from the listerning position on the amp and turned the sub to a level I think sounds ok. There is an option on the amp to put the sub at eather 200 150 or 100 Hz do you know what this setting should be set at. (currently at 150).
Thanks

I would set the sub at 100Hz, lower if possible. I would guess the Tannoy's don't go much below 80Hz.

BTW, I have now set my system up and it sounds great, although it did take a bit of tweaking. If I can get hold of a sound meter, then that should finish it off !

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom