1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Placement of KEF KHT2005 satellites (from floor 220 cm)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Funkybase, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Funkybase

Funkybase
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I whould like to place my KEF satellites approx 220 cm up, close to the celing, is this a terrible misstake or will it still sound ok?

Where should a I place the center, in the same height (220 cm) or should i place it on or under the wall hanged plasma screen (which will hang approx 90 cm above floor).

Is it possible to buy in two extra satellites for a 7.1 surround system and is a 7.1 a great upgrade?

Thanks,
    Funkybase

2. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    i would thought even if you angle them down it would be less than ideal.
    but if you got no choice.........
    same height would be best , but if you are gonna put your other very high up it would not anchor the voice to the screen very well so you may have to experiment and go for a compromise.
    yes superfi are doing them for 79:99 at the mo , it does make a good upgrade but i aint sure i would call it great!!

could you tell me if the speakers come with the wall brackets and how do you rate them?i am thinking of changing my big speakers for a sub/sat package like these.
    thanks.

3. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hey,

Yea they come with wall brackets, you can mount them in any position really, lots of possibilities which is great. As for the sound, I wouldn't know as I have never heard them off their brackets, but it sounds good to me :smashin:

However, there are some problems I have with them. Firstly, getting the buggers on the wall and screwing them in is a pain, the plastic bit at the back where the screws go in is quite thick, but I really thought I was going to break it more than once, not great design but I suppose the only way to do it.

It would see the speakers are too heavy for the brackets, as they droop slightly and it's not a completely firm grip in my opinion - either that or I haven't tightened it enough with the alan key provided.

Hope that helps some, I would definately recommend them.

4. Funkybase

Funkybase
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! Mine have the same problem, that they seem to drop out of position... to bad, but they sounds really good. I remember that I have read somewhere that it's possible to place them high and they will still sound great?

5. Funkybase

Funkybase
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think they sound great, warm with a nice trebble. Used to have Bose before, but these rock alot better. You must give them a try, I can highly recommend them! There are wallbracket on back of the foot, you should hang them over two screws.

6. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem with the sats drooping.

Basicaly, turn the foot through 180 degrees and the shoulder stops the speaker dropping.

7. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think the ideal is about 1.8m from the floor, or so i've read. I've also read about 50cm about listening position, which i think mine is now. If you're lOOking at 7.1, check out this for pointers: (DD EX)
    http://dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html
    I currently have mine at the same height (1.3m) as the fronts. Although i'm going to experiement with placement soon, before finalising.

I've just recently swapped my full size wharfedale diamonds for KHT2005.2, 5005 and Rel Quake. Whilst they do well for the size, i don't think they fill the room as much as the Wharfes. But they have a lot less (lOOk at my BIG speakers) feel. I didn't have a SUB before, so i notice that more than anything. Still VERY pleased with them. Don't half perform for the size, and it's not a small room!!

I found that turning the shoulder around, plus a little blue tack (maybe overkill) also helped stop the droop.

It's best the place your centre just below the screen and the fronts on the same plain. But it's not always possible. Get the centre as close to the screen as you can really.

There's a pic of my temporary setup to show you... (AV Kit will go in wall below screen :smashin: )

Attached Files:

8. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    about 50cm above listening position.

Better change that, after the mistakes i made earlier..!

9. Funkybase

Funkybase
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your set-up look great. I wonder were I've read that you are able to put these satellites up in roof and they will still sound great?

10. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks. Just wander when i can get the time to finish the cabinet?!!? :rolleyes:

I don't know though. I originally asked about that in the shop, but was told it's best not to. Why can't you wall mount?? In the end ( i know it's a ball-ache), but it's probably best to just try many positions. Put them somewhere, watch a film etc, move them, see if there's any difference. You'll know... (and if you don't, then it probably doesn't matter) :thumbsup:

Let us know how you get on or pics of setup, always interesting to see how peoples setups worked.

11. Funkybase

Funkybase
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a window in tha way for perfect position, I need to place the right sat above that window, or move my plasma...

I see you have the same plasma as I do... is it possible for you to take a pic behind. I have have a floor stand att this point, but when my new house is finnished will a wall hung it and I need to know how to place all cables behinde the wall. Thinking if drilling a round hole behind the plasma and lead all cables down....

12. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I was lucky with the front wall, it backs onto a wardrobe, so i had access to the back of it. Ripped the plasterboard down in the wardrobe, re-enforced the wall to hold the plasma and ran all cables down there and built (building!) the AV kit into a cabinet within it.

On the rears i was not so lucky. Ran the cables from front to back under the carpet. Then drilled 23mm holes at top and bottom and fed the cable down. (it's onto an exterior wall though) I don't know where it went but it didn't find the bottom. :rolleyes: I'm no handy-andy, so for a quick fix (and to impatiently watch a movie on the new setup :rolleyes: ) i just tacked the cable up the wall. Then, got fed up with how that lOOks, plus i wanna experiement with placement a little higher, so this w/end, i'm gonna chisel the PB out and run the cable in the wall, filler and paint over, to give it the hidden lOOk. Seems the easiest way for me...

Unless anyone has any better ideas how to do it??

13. Funkybase

Funkybase
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you done a great job! It's though to make everything look great. I have everything setup in our living room now, but I'm planning for a little more proffessional setup in our new house...