Placement of 2 subs..

museumsteve

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is there a general rule of thumb to where to place two (identical) subs in a movie room.?
Not sure if I can make enough space to have both at the front (between front speakers) due to my equipment rack..
Thanks in advance..:)

Originally posted by museumsteve
is there a general rule of thumb to where to place two (identical) subs in a movie room.?
Not sure if I can make enough space to have both at the front (between front speakers) due to my equipment rack..
Thanks in advance..:)

IMO, it depends what you are sending to them.
If you crossover very low (say 50Hz), I don't think it really matters about having the subs at the front at all.
80Hz may be debatable, but if the sub's filters are sharp 24dB/oct types, then you'll still probably be OK.
It's when you crossover at higher frequencies that directionality starts to play a part - crossing over at 120Hz for instance, especially with only a 12dB/oct filter for instance, can mean a still substantial output at up to 200Hz or more. This is easily locatable, especially when playing stereo - then IMO, you'd really have to go with subs positioned towards the front. With two, you could just as easily go either side of the speakers at the front, but on the outside of each - it's only really when one sub is used like this that you'd have to go in between (IMO that is).

Others may think otherwise though, so it's really up to you in the end.

It is important to have both at the same distance to the listening position, as you only have one setup... I have mine behing each front speaker... If they allow, stacking them as Jase said, is a good option too...

Originally posted by museumsteve
stacked..lol..:D I thought he was kiddin'..
Any downside on stacking..

Oi!:D Definitely not kidding!! Only downside is making sure the one top stays in place and doesn´t wobble off!:(

Put one up her nose and the other up her jacksy......

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom