1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Place of Manufacture

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Wameser, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Wameser

Wameser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased a Pioneer VSX AX5i. Very happy with the reciever but was mildly perturbed to note that it was made in Indonesia. Build quality seems fine but I was curious as to whether all Pioneer receivers were manufactured there?

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Can't comment regarding Pioneer but it seems to be the way forward to keep costs down.
    Design in Japan or UK, or wherever then assemble in low wage economies such as China, India, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Turkey, Indonesia.
    Denon allegedly suffered increased warranty claims following the swap from Japan to China on their mini systems, also Made In China quality control issues suffered by DVD-2800, DVD-3800 are legend, whilst Denon AV amplifiers Made In Japan are extremely reliable.
    Arcam allegedly use the same OEM as NAD for certain AV receivers, Made In China, Rotel design in Japan, source components in UK, assemble in China. Some Kef speakers are Made In China.The list is enormous.
    Sony DAV systems are allegedly LG, Sony and JVC videos are allegedly Samsung, who knows what they are buying.
    Mercedes S-Class Made In India, Volkswagens Made In South Africa, I understand makers looking for best value manufacturing but when top-end makers sell you a product at top dollar, then you find it is Made In Hong Kong, it still makes me feel cheated somehow.
    " Who cares where it is made as long is the quality is right ? "
    Erm, me because where it is made often indicates that the quality will not be right. Maybe I'm just old fashioned. :rolleyes:

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No, you are right. Even with (overseas) quality control they often manage to screw things up down here.

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    MS make no secret of Designing here and building in China. The QC and failure rate actually declined when moved to out of the UK (although I suspect a measure of financial stability helped as well). We have two company representatives on site 24/7 and there are about three other staff who are out at least 1 week per month. I guess the fact that speakers are pretty simple things helps us as well. We also plough a great deal of money back into the infrastracture and the area surrounding it which has had a very positive effect on the product.

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Really? This website says they are made in Germany:

http://www.autointell.net/nao_companies/daimlerchrysler/dc-manufacturing/merc-mfg-plants-97.htm

If you do have anything to say otherwise, I would love to hear it - my brother-in-law drives one and proving to him it was made in India, would really put the arrogant twit in his place! :D

EDIT: here it is: Gringotts is right! :clap:

http://www.weforum.org/site/homepublic.nsf/Content/DaimlerChrysler+India+Private+Limited

6. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Well, that also means that if product is made in UK, then it will cost even more!!!

We are in a global village! Why shouldn't developing world have a share in the global economy?

If you don't accept it, then don't buy it! Buy the Krell's, Mark Levinsons etc then.

So Rover - made in UK - are quality right??? I don't think so, they are crap! Just look at the reliability and sales charts. The examples just goes on. So the medicin made in India is crappier than those made by Glaxo?

Wasabi

7. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Sorry Wasabi, didn't mean to make fun of foreign manufacturing. I know it is as good as European. The Golfs built in South Africa are indistinguisable from those in Wolfsburg, etc.

Just reckon my idiot brother-in-law won't look at his car in the same way again - but that's his loss.

I couldn't give a monkey's where something is made, as long as it works. And if it doesn't, the local owner/distributer had better honour the warrenty, or else.....! :lesson:

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,471
    a lot of equipment is still made in England, such as B&W and Spendor speakers

9. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Boss told me in a meeting the other day that for the price of one uk worker they can employ 25 chinese workers at the chinese factory. Each one probably works harder than me too. Basically they can run a small factory on my single wage!

10. Wameser

Wameser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can any other AX5i owners advise me where there unit was manufactured. Just curious. . . . .