1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Place for TV reviews?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Just Some Ugly, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Just Some Ugly

Just Some Ugly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My first post :hiya:

I am looking into buying a new TV, here are a few TV's that have caught my eye...

Sony & Panasonic

Also whats the best 100hz or 50hz????

any review sites for these tv's as well?

Thanks
    Lee. :thumbsup:

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Hello, Lee, and welcome. :)

The best place for TV reviews?

Well, right here on this Forum, of course! :thumbsup:

Do a search and see what "real" people think of their purchases when they've tried them at home.

Good luck!

3. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
  4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Buy the best good quality make 50Hz

THe Sony is a good bet

5. Just Some Ugly

Just Some Ugly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for all the replys!

MartinImber - The Sony one is a 100hzTV I think

Whats the best for playing games and watching DVD's on, 50hz or 100hz????

6. Just Some Ugly

Just Some Ugly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  7. Bender

Bender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been trying to decide which TV to get for the last few months. :confused:

Just when I think I've decided, something happens to make me think again. :suicide:

The biggest problem I have, is choosing between 50 & 100 Hz. I really want to like 100Hz TVs and the all the technical processing wizardry, but every time I look at them in shops, the 100Hz nearly always look [inappropriate noun removed -lynx] I've always hated compression artefacts or digital edges and 100Hz just seems to make them worse. I not actually seen a game being played on a 100Hz TV but my guess is they would look pretty good, but 100Hz struggles with fast motion so depending on the type of game you usually play this could be a problem. DVDs will probably look better on a 100Hz to a lot of people, but not all.

Some people love 100Hz but I think 50Hz still looks better on really good set, buts that's my opinion and that's the problem it's really down to what bothers you least, digital artefacts & some motion blurring or 50Hz flicker. I don't see the flicker but the digital effects drive me mad.

8. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to note, the Sony KD32DX51 isn't 100Hz, it's 50. It's got an integrated digital tuner like the Panasonic, but the Pana IS 100Hz. Honestly I don't rate the TX32DTX10, the picture on the Sony is very much sharper and clearer. Plus Sony's digital system is really a step up. The format is excellent and supports the upcoming 7 day electronic program guide. It's a very good TV.

If you get a truely good 100Hz set, then the artefacts won't be an issue. Motion blurring may happen on sports (the signal just doesn't come through at the same speed), but a number of 100Hz TV's have a way around that. Some people won't even notice the motion problems in the slightest.

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    DX51 is 50Hz - Sony 50Hz TVs are generally very good via RGB (IDTV section is RGB as well!)

10. Just Some Ugly

Just Some Ugly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a Sony 4:3 TV at the moment

It's the 29 inch version of this one - Sony TV it's only 2 years old but I want freeview built into a TV due to there being less cables and also wouldn't mind a wide screen tele.

it's a very good TV it's just that there are a few problems with it, Like when there's a black image on the screen you can notice some green circler lines on the right hand side of the screen, so that’s put me off getting another Sony TV a bit

So has anyone got a Panasonic TV at the moment? If so have you had any of the problems that I’ve had with my Sony TV?

Thanks
    Lee.

11. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there mate!!

I spent a lot of time looking around the shops before I got my TV and looked at both 50hz and 100hz. There was no doubt in my mind I wanted a flatscreen and that I also wanted a 32" TV, so I looked at every one the had in the shops.
    I ended up getting a Philips 32PW9308, which is a 32" flatscreen 100hz TV.
    The reason? When I looked at the 50hz TV's and 100hz side by side, the 100hz was easier on the eye and sharper than the 50hz. I am also one of those that can see the flicker and I'm pretty sure I would have got a headache.
    The TV signal is not so good, as I don't have cable or freeview but I hear it is perfect if you do have those. Both my GameCube and DVD recorder look superb through this TV (via RGB cables) and I am really happy. Some of my mates don't see the difference between 50hz and 100hz but I watched a 50hz TV the other day and the picture was not as good.
    Trial some TV's with DVD's rather than the analogue signal they use in the shops and see what you think.
    I give my Philips TV a big thumbs up :thumbsup:

Good luck.

12. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    100Hz is no sharper unless another system's been put in place to up the detail. It really only gets rid of the flicker. But then, they don't begin adding any systems to process the detail higher unless it's initially flicker free. Infact, Sony's digital 50Hz are fantastically sharp in the first place, but because the picture's so good, the flicker's a bit more glaring.

I've mentioned in another thread, that 75Hz has become a popular scan mode now at the high end of the market. Less problems with fast moving objects.