PL12D II Turntable re-furb

wink1

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have re-furbed a Pioneer PL12d. It has a Shure M95 ED cartridge with a new quality German stylus.
New belt , all lubricated, new stylus.
It now plays fine but the only way I can test it at present is through phono inputs on a Sony MD373 mini system.
With the volume turned up to max I can just hear the record, probably only around 5-10% of the volume I get from the tuner and CD The sound quality is fine
The system has red and white phono inputs which I am using. It also had "line in " on the front.
The TT has a DIN plug to which I have connected a phono adaptor.
Is the mini system not compatible with PL12D? or am I missing something? Will "line in" improve the volume?
I've refurbed it for sale so don't want to have to buy an amp.
Any pointers please?
Many thanks in anticipation!
Paul

Attachments

• SONY MANUAL.pdf
    647.9 KB · Views: 38
It doesn't look like the Sony has a proper phono stage - you will need one to test the Pioneer properly. You plug the Pioneer into the phono stage then plug the phono stage into 'line in' on the Sony. Turntables have a completely different output to CD, tuner etc which is why you are having problems.

Thanks for that, "phono stage" , is that a pre-amp? If so any suggestions?

Sorry, MC?
There are two main types of cartridge, Moving Magnet (MM, the most common type) and Moving Coil (MC, typically more expensive upmarket ones). They need different amplification in the phono stage pre-amp, as MC cartridges (typically) produce lower voltage outputs than MM types (which themselves put out much lower voltages than line level sources like CD players).

Thanks, sorry to be ignorant but is my Shure M95ED MM or MC
It's MM (Moving Magnet). So if it's just for testing, a cheap phono stage pre-amp should be all you'd need.

You might find this of interest, a look at the M95ED being tested in a PL12D...

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I've refurbed it for sale so don't want to have to buy an amp.

Understandable. I'd have thought that playing the TT/cartridge combo through the (line level) input on the Sony mini system, as you have done, proves that both channels work, though I appreciate you can't make quality judgements based on this. Isn't that good enough to sell as 'working'? I must admit, I would, unless I knew of other issues with the combo.

Would I connect this to the red and white inputs on the Sony or adapt to 3.5 "line in"? Thanks

IMO, stick with the red & white connections (RCA connectors). Plug the TT/cartridge combo into the PP400 red & white inputs then connect the PP400 red & white outputs to the red & white inputs on the rear of the Sony mini system (these inputs on the Sony may be described as 'Tape Input' or 'Auxiliary Input' etc- that's fine).

If you happen to have a stereo RCA-to-stereo-mini-jack cable/connector then you could feed the output from the PP400 into the front panel 'line In' on the Sony.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom