1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PL IIx -- What Am I Missing...

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Joelc, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Gents:

Ahhhhhhhh...a Sunday afternoon at then end of stressful work filled weekend...finally get to sit down and relax by watching a little football.

After noting that the sound does not sound "full" I decide to cycle through the surround modes...first thing I note is that I am receiving a DD 5.1 signal...next I continue to cycle through the surround modes and note that my only options ar DD5.1 and Stereo...next I decide to try to engage PL II only to note that I can not apply it to EITHER the DD 5.1 or the Stereo signal.

I then enter the menu to confirm that my AV192R is fitted with PLIIx...so...what am I missing...why am I not able to apply PL II?

Looking forward to your responses.

Cheers,

Joel

2. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Joel, Are the SBL, SBR speakers defined as present in the speaker setup in the setup menu?

3. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No...they are not as I am only running a 5.1 setup...that said, I seem to recall previously being able to apply PL II Movie processing to one of, if not both, Stereo and DD 5.1...although, and of course, I could be worng.

On a separate note...good to hear from you...trust things are going well!

Joel

4. skeet94

skeet94
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Since you're running a 5.1 setup PL II is what you're after NOT PL IIx since that's the 7.1 version :).

5. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK...so, how do I get PL II...

And thanks...at least I am not crazy as there was a point in time when I could apply PL II to a DD 5.1 and Stereo signal...

Joel

6. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If the incoming signal is DD 5.1 then you cannot apply Prologic II as the incoming audio already has discrete surround channels. Prologic II can only be applied to stereo sources (ie. DD2, DTS2 or PCM), as it will be generating the centre and surround channels.

You don't have enough speakers in you system to get PLIIx.

7. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Steve:

Many thanks for the response...sort of figured that out after I typed my rather naive question of how do I get PL II. Happy to know that all is well as sending the kit back to the UK is a major issue....

As it relates to NOT having enough speakers...get we will have to start yet another remodel of the house... :nono:

8. Kevinc

Kevinc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Joel, I saw this late and know you are sorted but just a question are you watching a US feed up there in Canada? If so I sympathise, as I have the same problem when the US broadcasters (particularly abc) use things like "circle surround" which is really two channel but encoded as D5.1 and can't be altered. Not a big NFL etc fan myself I have to say, but I do find it irritating when they do it to the NBA. Still, as long as they put the picture in HiDef I can put up with a lot...!

9. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Kevinc:

The answer is yes...in Canada the only way to get US Sporting Events is via a US Feed...no options...happy to hear that I am not the only one who experiences this...really does yank my chain though!

Joel

10. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Joel

Just saw this. This is how I do it. As I prefer DPL IIx (I have a 7.1 setup) for nearly all sources I have set this in the config menu for my sources. So for digital sources 48khz I've set it to MultiChannel + DPLIIx. Now this means tha DPLIIx is applied on top of DD 5.1 sources, for DTS it defaults to DTS+ES matrix. Now if I don't want to use it, it's possible to toogle using the surround button to get it back to "raw" DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1.

I hope this helps.
    /Bogi

11. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Bogi:

Many thanks...problem is that your suggestion will not work for me as I am ruuning 5.1 rather than 7.1 and, as explained by Stevesky, LP IIx, unlike PL II, can not be applied on top of DD5.1.

Based on the above...progress is not always progress as I seem to have lost something in going from PL II to PL IIx.

Joel

12. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Joel

Have you tried to configure your 48kHz digital input with MultiChannel+DPLII and see what happens?

That's the only way I found out to be able to apply DPLII on DD5.1 signal sources. You can't do it manually with the Surround button on the remote (SW 4.31). Or can you fool the processor by configure it that you have 7 speakers and then just apply Same for signal routing in the different surround modes and simply never use SurrEX or Matrix/Discrete 6.1?

I found out that there are quite a few configuration options you can set when in config menu mode that one simply cannot reach via the remote.

Try it and see what happens.

/Bogi

13. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    bogi:

Thank for the suggestion...unfotunately neither one works...

Joel

14. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Joel

Is it possible to take an analogue feed into the 192 and then apply PLII?

15. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Kenny:

I suppose that would be possible as PL II can be applied to channel sources. The interesting question then becomes this -- what is preferred DD 5.1 or Stereo + PL II. I would wager that DD 5.1 would ne preferred...anyone differ?

Joel

16. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Joel

I would agree with DD 5.1 but PLII may give you the result your looking for

17. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have to say that itreally sucks that IAG has not moved the forward with new hardware/firmware releases...this thread being a case in point. PL IIx has a number of parameters that could and, in my opinion, should be used to tweak audio component of home cinema. The fact that they have not made these, as well as other refinements available is kick in the teeth to those of us who have patiently waited for a sign of life only to be left with the feeling that "Elvis has left the building".

Sidebar -- my fellow enthusiasts with Anthem, Lexicon, Meridian, and many other pre/pro are not suffering from these limitations...come on guys...get your act together...

Joel

18. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The only one that is missing from the 32DP/192R platform is DTS+PLIIx. It was not done at the time as it was really early days when we put in the PLIIx stuff and all the certifcation material for DTS and PLIIx wasn't available.

All this talk of Multichannel+PLII is incorrect and if through some bizzare way it can be selected then it's a bug. Only multichannel+PLIIx can be applied to multichannel material(ie. material with discrete surround channels like DD5.1). To use PLIIx on multichannel material you need a 7.1 system.

If you only have a 5.1 system then only PLII is possible, and this takes in a stereo source and converts it into a psuedo 5.1.

If the broadcaster has encoded stereo material into DD5.1 then the processor cannot apply PLII as the processor doesn't know that the active C, SL, SR channels has silence encoded in them.

19. lenny

lenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    That's it, end of the story. Many thanks Steve: always cristal clear.

20. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks Steve

I guess my problem was that as I have a 7.1 setup I surmised that these nice features were implemented on 5.1 setups as well. My bad.

As been said before:

"you lives and you learns"