• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PJTX200 via SCART>SVideo - black&white

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I connected up the Sky digibox to the PJTX200 using a Profigold PGV615 Scart>SVideo lead and all I get is a black and white signal. I have changed all the settings on both the Sky box (RGB/PAL) and altered between Auto/PAL etc on the PJTX200 to no avail. I have tried the connection using a video sender, direct to the Sky box and my DVD recorder. The lead is fine as I have connected it to my CRT TV and obtained a perfectly acceptable picture.

The PJTX200 displays "S-VIDEO MONOCHROME 50 AUTO".

Is the only way to get a SCART signal to the PJTX200 via a component converter? I have a 5m component lead and can go through my DVD recorder but it's hooked up to my amp for switching. I wanted to try and keep all the leads connected rather than disconnecting stuff and re-connecting them to the projector.

Cheers

Stompy

Established Member
As far as I know the standard sky box (not Sky+) does not output S-Video on it's scart socket, only composite or RGBs :)

Jammyb

Prominent Member
Svideo is completely different to RGB Scart, ones splits the picture into chrominance and luminance, the other into red, green and blue.

A simple cable cannot convert one into the other. The only way that cable you bought is any use is if the sky box has the option to output Svideo via the scart socket, some DVD players have this option, don't know about Sky.

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
davepuma said:
Is the only way to get a SCART signal to the PJTX200 via a component converter?

You don't need a convertor. If it's like the TX100 there should be a menu option to configure the component connector on the TX200 to RGB. Hence if you get a SCART to RGB lead you should be set.

Not sure if that help visa vi all the lead swapping though.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the prompt replies, I'm still fiddling with the connections as I type. I appreciate there is a difference between RGB SCART and S-Video but the lead works okay on my CRT TV but not via the projector. So, it must be doing something right! It looks like I will have to send the SCART>S-Video lead back.

I've just hooked up my DVD Recorder directly to the pj via a 5m component lead and the pic via Freeview, Hard Disk and Sky is awful. I tested the 5m component lead out when I got it using my old DVD player (Toshiba SD500e) direct to my pj and the pic was perfect. So, even if I do buy a SCART to Component converter, I still have this component lead to contend with. I don't know whether something has come loose but I will try it with my DVD player and see if it's okay with that. Normally the DVD recorder is hooked up via component to the amp and then to my CRT.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
PJTX100 said:
You don't need a convertor. If it's like the TX100 there should be a menu option to configure the component connector on the TX200 to RGB. Hence if you get a SCART to RGB lead you should be set.

Not sure if that help visa vi all the lead swapping though.

I noticed that in the manual and it shows a pic of a SCART converter that has 4 inputs on it, all I got was a SCART to composite converter like the ones you used to get to use with playstations on TV's without SCART sockets. Obviously at the moment, I have component configured for component as I don't have the adaptor for the SCART RGB. I was told however that it wouldn't be very good, hence why I thought I would try the SCART>S-Video route.

ows90

Established Member
Yeah, I had a look at the manual (page 14), it would be the ideal way to connect your Sky to the projector if you didn't have the DVD to contend with (I don't believe that it wouldn't be very good:
http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/RGBS-SCART-ADAPTER.html)

Anyway, you could use this:
http://www.js-technology.com/product_info.php?products_id=36
Component converter to connect your Sky to your amp.

It's a bit pricey tho, so there might be another way:

Connect the Sky's TV ouput to the DVD Recorder's AV2 input - setting both the Sky to output RGB and the DVD Recorder to input RGB on it's AV2.

Then with the DVD's input select set to AV2, the sky should be output on the component output to the the amp.

ows90

Established Member
Another way would be to buy one of these: http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/RGBS-SCART-ADAPTER.html
connect a component lead to the red green and blue sockets, and connect the other end to a spare component input on the amp. Meanwhile you also purchase a 5m composite cable and run that from the white socket on the adapter to the composite socket on the projector. Although the amp is designed to switch component, it shouldn't make a difference if it is in fact switching 3/4 of an RGBs signal.

[Although, after looking at the manual, you would have to go into the advance INPUT menu and switch INPUT-> COMPONENT to SCART RGB each time you switched from DVD to Sky]

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Bets thing I did for my Sky picture was purchase one of those RGB to Component convertors for £60

Was sceptical of improvemnt but combined with Amp upscaling it produces a lovely image to my 50" DLP and great one on my PJTX200

davepuma

Distinguished Member
DuncanWardle said:
Bets thing I did for my Sky picture was purchase one of those RGB to Component convertors for £60

Was sceptical of improvemnt but combined with Amp upscaling it produces a lovely image to my 50" DLP and great one on my PJTX200

I knew all along that I should have bought one of those QED SCART to component converters and the SCART>SVideo was the cheap option but I thought I would try it.

I will order yet another component lead and a short SCART at some point along with the QED converter and see how I get on. However, I am not impressed with the pic using the 5m component lead, so maybe it won't be any better than what I'm getting at the moment with Sky through my HDD recorder. The PQ even on DVD via the Pioneer using my 5m component lead is terrible. I tried it side by side this afternoon with both HDMI and component (576i/576p) via my Sony 76 DVD and the component pic was pants compared to HDMI. That said, I originally tried it with my trusted old DVD player which cost me £500 several years ago, so maybe it can still hold it's own against these cheap upscaling jobs. That said I've been very impressed with the PQ via HDMI on my new Sony 76. It just means I will have to swap component out on my Amp from one component lead to another when changing from CRT to PJ.

Thanks again guys for the advice.

Jonesey

Established Member
Why dont you just use the Svideo lead from the Sky box to the Svideo connection on the Projector, I do this and my Sky picture is excellent, I think the Tx200 does a great job on the picture. Sure there are some channels that look crap, but Sky movies, News and Sport Channels look great.

Regards

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Jonesey said:
Why dont you just use the Svideo lead from the Sky box to the Svideo connection on the Projector, I do this and my Sky picture is excellent, I think the Tx200 does a great job on the picture. Sure there are some channels that look crap, but Sky movies, News and Sport Channels look great.

Regards

My Sky box doesn't have a S-Video connection just two SCARTS. I might just put up with what I've got at the moment and get HD in the future but only when the price drops (make that plummets) and the amount of HD material increases.

Jonesey

Established Member
yeah, me too mate. cant justify the price of the box just for a couple of movies and an animal programme. if you are desperate to get the sky on the projector, you could try ebay for a second hand box, some of them are around £20, just ask if they have an s-video connection.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Does anyone know exactly which sky boxes have s-video? My parents and one of my mates has a Panasonic and it has only SCART connections. I've spied a Sony on ebay and remember it was the best Sky digibox in it's time but there's no mention of connections on the back.

Delh68

Established Member
davepuma said:
Does anyone know exactly which sky boxes have s-video? My parents and one of my mates has a Panasonic and it has only SCART connections. I've spied a Sony on ebay and remember it was the best Sky digibox in it's time but there's no mention of connections on the back.

Can't remember the exact models, but a couple of Grundigs had s-video, if memory serves me it was a 310/s (or 2) & the GDS2000 (or 3000), see my memory isn't great (lol). Grundig had 2 versions of the 310 (if that's the right one), one with s-video, one without.

Just found this(seems my memory was better than i thought:)) ;
These are the models u are looking for;
grundig 2000
Grundig 3000
Grundig 210/2 and 310/2 series (not 210 or 310)

hth (a little)

Delh68

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom