1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PJs more problematic than plasmas?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PC_112, Apr 26, 2005.

1. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello,

I was about to buy a 42" plasma, but now I am considering a PJ as well. However from what I read in here it seems that PJs are much more sensitive and have much more problems than plasmas. Is this true, or I got the wrong impression?

2. dobbin

dobbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi
    I had been thinking about a 42" Plasma for a couple of years now but I have always been a bit wary and wasn't sure how much to spend or what sort of lifespan I would get. there was also the problem of how heavy the plasma was and I would need to strengthen the wall to mount it.
    I then started to look at projectors. They seemed to be getting pretty good reviews so I took the plunge with an entry level Epson that had been designed for TV and DVD use. From the point of first plugging it in and seeing my first DVD images I was hooked! My wife has no interest in TVs and even she was impressed (not an easy thing to do!). I projected an approximate 7ft x 4ft image onto a plastered wall (a medium dark colour - not even white or magnolia!) and I find the picture is fantastic. If you go up too close you can see the points of the image but from a few feet away it is excellent.
    It has made viewing a whole new experience and coupled with my surround sound I have began watching all my old DVDs again with renewed interest. I have since seen 42" plasma screens on display and in shops and think how small the screens look!
    The only downside to the projector is the images are not as god in a room with much light in it. The images are much better in a dark room. But other than that I enthusiastically recommend it.

3. dobbin

dobbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Oh by the way I forgot to mention that I only paid £550 for the Epson projector I am using. I also got 10 months interest free credit. A steal!

4. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I wouldnt say that PJ's are more problematic that plasmas........ however... they do take a bit more time over the set up.

A plasma and other tv's etc, tend to be plug in and play. A PJ requires tweaking depending on your throw distance, room colouring (light, dark etc).

If it was me.... I would take the PJ everytime (and I did :thumbsup: ).

5. paulmc

paulmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Where from and what model Epson is it?

cheers

6. dobbin

dobbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Paul
    It is an Epson EMP-TW10H which I bought from Dabs for £548.99 plus £7.00 postage = £555.99 (which is INCLUSIVE of VAT).

http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/results.htm?searchPhrase=Epson+EMP-TW10H+

They also do a scheme where you buy it on credit and as long as you pay it off by the 10th month there is no interest paid. As I said altogether a steal with that deal.
    I found it very easy to do the initial setup, but as I said I am only projecting onto a wall. There are 2 manually adjustable wheels. One for the wideness/size and the other for the focus. Again very easy to adjust. I am getting a 16:9 7ft wide picture from about 3 metres.
    For full spec sheet in pdf form go to

http://presentation-systems.co.uk/pdfs/epson-emp-tw10h.pdf

If you want any more information just give me a shout.

Dobbin

7. RichKS

RichKS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Dobbin,

How do you find the keystone on the Epson?

I've never seen a demo and don't know if the keystone is optical or digital. Does it seriously affect the picture quality if it's at an angle?

Cheers!

8. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How does the EMP-TW10H compare against Panasonic AE700? Is the difference between the two an obvious one?

9. dobbin

dobbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It is +/- 15 Degrees. I have found it okay (although I haven't tried it to any great extent). It is adjusted through the menu system (sorry I don't know if that's optical or digital! Is there no further information in the pdf spec sheets - link above?)
    Dobbin

10. krlock2

krlock2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a problem is that projectors are still in some part the preserve of videophiles and home cinema buffs, that is, the type that sit there taking measurements of the light output of a projector, and measure colour temperatures to the nth degree. when something is just a little out of line, it becomes the source for heated discussion.

thats fine, in fact, its great, but it tends to make the newbie think that projectors are full of faults. the fact is, unless you have the videophiles seasoned eye, projectors are just about the best thing in the world. the impact you get as a newbie is especially intense.

the only thing the newbie need be concerned about, is the type of room you have. will you be able to control the light, and will you be able to place the projector in a convenient position. other than that, if you search for reviews of the best lcd or dlp in your price range, you cant go far wrong.

i have had my pj for two years now, and although eventually i can see that the latest technology is a little better, it still stuns me with its quality, and everyone else who comes to my house for that matter.....

i would get a plasma to watch tv on, just because i like to watch tv on a smaller screen and leave films and xbox for the pj, but even so, if i had to choose between, it would still be a pj every time...