1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PJ Virgin - Advice sought

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by slowe, Jun 24, 2005.

1. slowe

slowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been considering buying a pj for some time. Since my existing CRT died at the weekend, this seems to be the time. :clap: I would like some advice though please.

Having read many reviews (but not having seen any in action) the front runner is the Panny AE700.

I intend to project from the rear wall onto the opposite wall, painted white/grey for the present, a distance of around 20 ft, to get a picture around 100" diag. or a little less. All the reviews talk about the ability to throw this size from less than half the distance, but is this scenario possible?

The room is not going to be blacked out. One review suggested the 700 needs quite a dark room to really shine (no pun intended). Has anyone any experience?

What is the best colour - white or grey? I came across a recomendation for Dulux "Ice storm" but don't think this is still available. Would the room conditions make any difference to the colour? I presume matt paint?

Finally, the cabling. I would like as few cables going up the wall as possible. My existing AV Amp has the ability to be used to switch between video as well as audio sources, though I imagine this would degrade the signal? I would use the HDMI link from DVD though - in time anyway.

If you have made it this far, thank you. Any advice/suggestions will be gratefully recieved

2. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The AE700 is a fine projector and a good choice (was my initial choice) however consider some of the other projectors such as the TX100 and the Z3. Personally I find the Z3 has the extra advantages of 3 years warranty and easy dust removal and best lens shift and least VB (especially filtered). Have a read round of the options before you decide. I ended up buying a Z3.

3. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    If your new to projection then your going to be seriously impressed with the AE700.

To talk to some of you points.

* The environment in you room makes a huge difference in picture quality. Obviously the best thing you can do is brick up your windows, cover the walls and furniture with black velvet and only view material when you wearing black with a banaclava on but that's not gonna happen is it.
    Try and avoid painting your walls shiny white. Matt is good and darker the better.
    You really do need to look at preventing as much light in the room as possible. Try blackout blinds etc...

* In terms of your connnection. Go with the best possible source for optimal picture. Sounds like HDMI from your DVD player is the way to go.

* For your screen. You should be able to get dulux icestorm 5. It's not a colour you can buy. They need to make it up in the shop.
    This should improve your blacks and if you can border you screen with black so much the better.

One more thing. Once you've got your stuff going. Come back to the board and tell us how you got on. And then leave and never return. If you stay, you'll get infected with upgraditus and will be selling you love and joy within six months. Let alone the hours of tinkering this place makes you do.

Good luck :)

4. terrysharp

terrysharp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lesson: Only the Panny can project a 100 inch picture from 20 feet, because it has a 2 times lense.

The other projectors only have 1.31 times for the z3 and 1.61 times for the pj tx100, which would mean the picture would be far too large when projected from your back wall.

5. slowe

slowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gentlemen thank you for your help / views.

I have read enough threads on this forum to know how difficult the choice is likely to be. It may just come down to comparing the PJs available to test locally. I have also read enough to be anticipating the first powering up :thumbsup:

I will certainly get back once I am up & running. Keep up the good work.

6. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    All the comments above seem to make sense.

One thing I'd be wary of though is if this is going to replace your CRT. I'm not convinced a PJ is the best way to replace a conventional TV or Plasma, due principally to ambient light. Also I like to save the spectacle for movies (rather than Coronation Street).

I may be wrong, but I suspect most others would have a CRT or Plasma for regular TV and save the PJ for movies/sports/gaming when you can black out the room etc.

My PJ does work in a light room but the results are very far from perfect.

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I'm not sure if by CRT he's referring to TV or a CRT projector?

Either way I agree a PJ isn't a replacement for a TV, it's more of a supplement....PJ :)

8. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Good point PJTX100, I assumed because the thread was PJ Virgin then it was a TV.

But, if it is a CRT PJ then you can ignore my comments Slowe :) .

9. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes PJs should not be thought of as replacement tellies. Unless you only watch a small amount of TV and only in the evening then a PJ could well replace the standard telly.

10. slowe

slowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To clarify, this will be more of a later evening & weekend thing. Probably around an hour per day, as there are a couple of old portables around the place & it probably wouldn't be worth firing everything up for anything less.