PJ Upgrade

Gee

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got an old Seleco SLC600 LCD projector which is fine apart from the fan noise is driving me nuts so I'm looking for a new projector <£1000 that is nice and quiet.

Will a new budget PJ offer better picture quality than my Seleco? My Seleco is 800x600 and a current widescreen PJ is normally 858x484 so will I notice a drop or a gain in picture quality?

I've no experience of the Seleco but a Panny AE300 is now less than £1000 I believe and that's a damned good projector for the price .. and very quiet in 'eco' mode. :)

At 960x540 it's 1/4 HD, and is therefore a bit higher res. that your current one.

Hi KraGorn,

Do you think the Pana PTAE200 would still be better than my current PJ or will I need to go to the PTAE300 or Sanyo Z1?

The 200 is a pretty decent projector and for the price now very good value for money .. sadly as I said before I have no knowledge of your projector so can't compare them.

The Z1 is comparable to the 300, both being higher res. than your own, I think on balance the 300 is slightly better as far as SDE is concerned.

i can vouch for the a300 its whisper quiet and the colours are crisp & vibrant, black are not as good as a crt but look good enought to me, there are plenty different picture settings to play about with to get an image you are happy with

Should have said, my first PJ was an AE300 and I was very happy with it ... until I got the upgrade bug. :blush: ... at the price it is today I'd definitely suggest you try to strech to it rather than the 200, though if the 300 is out of reach then the 200 is NOT a shabby projector by all accounts.

I think the PTAE 200 would do the job. The next question is where to get one (new or used) and what DVD player should I connect to it?

As said by others, if you can stretch to £1000 (as you suggested), I would definitely go for the AE300 over the 200.

I'm not a fan of Panasonic's "smoothscreen" but it undoubtedly does reduce SD. It is also the quietest PJ I've heard (eco mode).

DVD player? Plently of info in the DVD Player forum.

:smoke:

Sanyo Z1 is ok. although the fan noise it's really on the loud side it does annoy me when watching talky talky movies, especially late at night when I can't go loud due to wife, kid and neighbours.

If I were to buy a projector now I would probably save a little extra and get a Z2. It has almost silent running. I was amazed. Didn't notice any extra on the PQ side :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom