1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PJ "Shoot-out"!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Kane D Williams, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have contacted AV-Sales (via email), to try and set up a TW100 demo, using a VW11HT, PLV60, AE100 and LT150 alongside to compare!

They called me back within a couple of hours and I had a chat with a guy called Matthew (I think), who was very helpful and up for at least setting up one of the other suggested PJ's (AE100) with the TW100 for a shoot out, if not all, although he would try to get more set up, for a real contest!!! He said he will let me know as soon as they get one in, to set up the date, so whoever is interested in attending one evening, can you please confirm, as it will be easier to get them to set up a "proper" demo/shoot-out for more than one person!

This could be a great demo not just for those interested in the Epson, but the Panasonic, Sony etc!! Come see how they compare!

If anyone could bring a decent laptop with DVD player capable of outputting 1280X720, to check the PJ's pixel mapping, this would show what the unit is ultimately capable of. A stand-alone player can test the unit's own scaler and the Faroudja processing!

Cheers Kane

PS. This is copied from another thread. I thought it may interest more people than that thread was being viewed by?

2. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi Kane. This sounds like fun. When & where's the demo going to take place? I have a nice HCPC if you need one...Radeon 7500 / M-Audio Delta 410 etc that's all tweaked up now. I see you have an AE100 already...I also have the FL-Day filter if needed...?

3. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Shockabuku

It will be somewhere in Kent, sometime in the "near" future!? The AE100 is not mine, but will be provided by AV-Sales, as will any other PJ's I can persuade them to set up! It will also be their DVD source (not sure what yet). If you want to bring your HTPC, that will be great! I may even take my own Sony VPL PX1 along, to hopefully put it completely to shame and make me feel like a £3000 upgrade is warranted! I actually hope that the AE100 will grab me, then I can save loads of dosh!! Please bring along the filter and write down any settings that gets the most out of the Panny?

Cheers Kane.

PS. I'll let you know when and where it will be as soon as I know!
    This is looking a little better, it seems like at least 4 will attend.

4. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Cool. I'll be there (unless it's the last week in April/first week in May - coz I'll be in Orlando :D )

5. dvdbrowser.com

dvdbrowser.com

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shockabuku, Kane,

Even though i can't attend i would be interested if you could check out the DVI connection with your Radeon 7500 into the Epsom.
    Please let us know how u get on.

Regards

Steve.

6. Jones_Rush

Jones_Rush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Something like that has already been done in Greece a couple of weeks ago. A couple of guys blind tested about 40 pj's including all of those mentioned in this thread (except the TW100). The AE100 came out one before last. I wonder how well will it do in your shoot out. Good Luck!.

7. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    :D :D :D They didn't have my HCPC & filter :D :D :D

Actually, I'd be really interested to see whether DVI makes a difference too...Kane...we should make sure that we have the correct cable.

8. tummybunny

tummybunny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Details are pretty scarce about the details of the shootout in Greece. Two identical machines came 7th and 16th.

'I guess there is noone to blame but the final tweaking from the responsible technicians brought along from each company.' is an appropriate quote from one participant.

Personally I wouldn't pay any attention to it at all.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could tell you the result of such an outcome...

The Sony vpl 11ht via h.t.p.c. at 1366 x 768 resolution-once tweaked with avia slaughters the other projectors mentioned.

The ONLY projectors to give the 11ht a run for its money are the sim2 ht300,the Marantz vpl 12s1,the Sharp z9000 and maybe the yamaha.

Whe you get to this short list however,it comes down to personal preference,the Sharp is a good all rounder-though looks a little digitised to me,the sim2 ht300 seems to sacrifice a lot brightness for contrast ratio-as does the yamaha.
    The Marantz I have not seen-but seems on the other side of the pond to be rated numero uno at the moment.

The Yamaha is too pricey for what it is.

Certainly,the general consensus is that the next texas instruments chips-the 2 -will give the next generation of dlps a bit more punch.

I.M.H.O. the Sony is the BEST lcd projector in the world at this moment-the pinnacle of lcd technology.

Bear in mind also that the Sony can be had now for 4 grand-with the only projectors that one might prefer being an awful lot more.

So,in conclusion a shootout(..of which against 37 projectors the Sony recently won in Greece)-with the Panasonic ae100 against the Sony is pointless.
    The Panasonic has one thing in its favour though-the price,but unfair to pit it against the master!!!...its gonna lose...

This is said with all respect to the ae100 current owners.....
    But,two vastly different products..
    Doug

10. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doug,
    The Sony didn't do well in the reviews set up by UK magazines. I'm just wondering why there is such a rift from review to review.
    What are you using as source?

Eric

11. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eric,
    Are you saying the Sony 11ht is crap ?

Chip

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The Sony 11 got a storming review from What HiFi this month (or what ever they are called now):D

3*

13. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    PAId under £3 1/2 for my sony
    money well spent i will let you know when it arrives:) :)

14. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Patmyhead - Sony 11 or 10ht - where from at that price?

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eric,
    Try using a h.t.p.c.as a source at 1366 x 768,tweaked with Avia.(Smart next).

Also read Bill Cushmans review in Widescreen Review.(He bought one after review!)

It is also rated in the same "division" as the Sharp and Yamaha in the Perfect Vision-the only LCD in the world at the moment to be rated alongside more expensive dlp`s.

Doug.

By the way,your kit sounds pretty good-not so sure about the Ellie ...(most amusing though).
    ;)

16. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Doug.
    What refresh rate are you using?

Eric

17. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    SONY 11
    on order from Germany
    I have posted site a few times people will think i am on comission
    pat

18. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    AV-Sales want hold the shootout in early May now! I'm sorry for all those who were hoping to see the Epson and others in action sooner, but hey...

I'll keep the forum informed on new date!

Cheers Kane

19. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Rats! I'm on hols from 24th April to 10th May so could end up missing this. Any chance it can be done after the 10th?

20. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    No Problem!

It is going to happen some time between Mon 13th and Fri 17 in the evening (around 6.00pm onwards). Mathew at AV-Sales said he'll get some beers and nibbles in too! There should be about 4 PJ's in the shootout, probably the AE100, PLV60, HT11 and of course the TW100!

Can you still bring your HCPC (HTPC) to check out DVI etc? Can you give AV-Sales a call to ask them if they can provide the cable?

BTW, their DVD player is not Multi Region!? If anyone is willing to bring along their player, it would be apprciated? I'd bring my Toshiba SD900E, only I'll be coming via public transport!

Cheers Kane

21. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Excellent, cheers Kane.

I'll bring along the HCPC plus the Hoya FL-D filter for the Panny if required. Happy to bring along my Pioneer DV-717 (multi-region) if you like. Will give AV-Sales a ring about the DVI cable & let you know. How about software? Let's not forget the DVDs!! :D

22. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Right, I've spoken with Matthew (jolly nice bloke), & he's happy to bring along a DVI cable, so we can scratch that one off the list. Sounds like he's really looking forward to it.

Kane - how many people do we have going along for the evening?

23. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Excuse my jumping in, but I'm considering buying a projector and would be very interested in this comparison. Is it open to potential customers? Where is it going to be happening?

Thanks,

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

24. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Shock...

I think about 5 or 6 are attending, but more are welcome!

Bert

It is open to anyone, although if you can Email me (funkyman51@hotmail.com) to confirm you will be coming, as I told them that the numbers should not go over 10? The demo room is not huge, but adequate!

Cheers Kane

PS. Can all those still interested in coming plese email me, as I'd like to get a head count. Including those who told me they were coming a few weeks ago? Thanks!

25. Lester's Cloud

Lester's Cloud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to say but I too am interested in this!

Sorry for butting in too.............

What town is this in?

Cheers,

Lester

26. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Hi Kane,

Thanks for the reply.

Is this going to be at AV-Sales in Tunbridge Wells? Are they within reasonable walking (or taxi) distance of the railway station?

Bert

27. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Lester

You are more than welcome!

I believe it will be the Tonbridge Wells address (Don't think they have another)? I'll ley you know any different!

Cheers KAne

28. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well folks,

Unless things get altered, the shootout will take place on Friday 17 May from 6.00pm onwards. From feedback from other forum members, this seemed like the best time and day? Sorry if it does not please everyone? You don't have to be there at 6.00pm sharp, but the earlier you get there the more you can see, compare and play!

Mathew at AV-Sales is really looking forward to it, I believe he is still providing a FEW bevies and bites and he hopes we will be up for a laugh as well as some serious analysis?

He says that their place is not far at all from the train station for those who will get there this way (ME) and AV-Sales are willing to come and pick people up or provide a taxi for them!! How nice is this! If anyone does require picking up, it would be less of a **** take if a few could taxi or lift share and meet at the station at a set time. If you are requiring picking up post the time you will be ariving at the station and we can see if anyones times match up?

Cheers Kane

PS. Please confirm a couple of days before it happens so I can give Mathew the numbers etc. funkyman51@hotmail.com