Question PJ setup - integration with existing kit

rcoe

Hi all, thanks in advance for help.

I am looking to add a projector to my existing system.

Currently I have Sony STR-DN1040 amp connected to Sony Bravia KDL 50W829 with Q-acoustics 5.1 speakers. Inputs to the amp are BT Vision box, PS3, Raspberry Pi running OSMC, Wii, Now TV box. All the boxes are below the TV in a fairly conventional position.

I would like to add a projector, and I would like to be able to run it from the same amplifier so that I can use all the same inputs. The amplifier appears to have 2 HDMI outputs so it certainly looks possible, but I am worried about the length of run of the HDMI cable to the projector if I ceiling mount it.

Ceiing height is 2.7m. Viewing distance is 3.5m. The room is 6.0m in the direction where the projector will face (i.e. maximum throw would be 6.0m). So, I need to run cable up 2.7m plus whatever the throw distance of the projector is.

Do I have a problem with ceiling mounting?

Thanks!

jfinnie

Distinguished Member
It is quite a high ceiling, you'll probably want a PJ with vertical lens shift (or a bracket with a long pole to drop the PJ down in the room). Otherwise you'll have to sacrifice quality and use keystone adjustment. Most PJs have diagrams in their manuals which with a little deciphering will tell you where the image ends up for a given placement, make sure you check them out.

If you have both HDMI outs enabled at the same time, the TV going into low-power standby mode can have an effect for a few seconds on the other output (leading to mystery dropouts which can take a while to figure out). Best to only enable the output you want instead of leaving both outputs on all the time.

Russ 66

HDMI high speed is guaranteed up to 8m, anything over that is pot luck but many people run much longer cables with no problems.
I would try it as a long HDMI cable can be had for £20 or less. If it works great, if not there are HDMI over Cat 6 extenders that work.

What projector and screen size are you looking at as this will likely dictate throw distances and vertical shift etc required.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom