1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pj setup help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by equaliser, Apr 19, 2004.

1. equaliser

equaliser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right first off great forum. Im new to all this after going through loads of posts i've decided the Z2 is the one to get (if it can cope with the following). Now the questions.

1, I want to throw the picture 14' the biggest screen i can fit is 84" wide, am i going to be able to fit picture onto screen?

2, I need to position pj 36" off the horizontal centre of the screen will the lens shift be able to cope with this amount? Infact what is the amount of horizontal and vertical movement one can exspect from this feature as the z2 specs dont make it that clear to a novice like me

3, while were talking about lens shift how does this work without distorting the picture?

4, I was going to connect up using componant connections. Most cables i've seen are 10m, I need 13m (to keep her that must be obeyed happy with out of sight wires) will there be a problem running this length?

That'll do for now i'm sure there will be more questions to come to stop the good old flexible friend taking a mighty bashing.

Many thanks for your help in advance

EQ

2. krlock

krlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a panasonic, so i cant be of direct help, but projectorcentral.com has a calculator which helps you find out the screen size that you can get from a specific distance.

the z2 can handle more than 36 inches lenshift, but the rule is always to use a little as possible!

13m good quality cables should not present a problem. i have 10m and its fine.

good luck!

krlock

3. equaliser

equaliser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thks for that! The calc says 94" for smallest width. I notice that this is very close to standard size screen. Has anyone got a Z2 running at this size and whats it like?

4. krlock

krlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    94 inch screen size will be fine, but you should ideally be seated at least 2.5x that distance away .... that makes the picture look better and you cant see the pixels....

a light controlled room is important as well!!!

krlock

5. equaliser

equaliser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thk for that, only problem is the 2.5x away. the main seat will be 18' away so not far off. The other seat will be a lot closer. Hmm problems problems problems. Is the relationship between throw length and picture width pretty standard amongst PJ's? If not is tere another pj that will make a smaller picture from 14' throw and with lens shift?

With regards to light controlled room we tend to watch films in the dark. although reading on here its best to have some ambiant light to make the black contrast look a better black than it actualy is, tricking the brain lol Wish that could work for the wife as this instalation has got to look right or it wont go ahead lol no wires, no pj hanging down from the celling. I should say we all know the moans lol

6. krlock

krlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, some pj's are short throw, eg the panny 500 and the z2, some are long throw, such as the sony hs20.

in my experience, the darker the room, the better, in almost all cases. some small amount of ambient light is just about ok, but direct sunlight is a big no no. thats why, unless you have your cinema room in the cellar, or a room with really good blinds, a pj is best enjoyed in the autumn and winter and spring rather than the summer!

krlock