1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pj screens are they really worth the cost?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by kbfern, May 23, 2003.

1. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,361
    I have had my Sanyo Z1 for 2 weeks now and am projecting onto a magnolia painted wall.I am getting a 110"/120" diagonal depending on zoom and I am blown away with the image I am getting.My room can be virtually totaly blacked out so I am getting really good colour saturation and contrast and pretty reasonable blacks.

My question is, is it worth the expense and hassle in buying and fixing a screen to the wall/ceiling and also the asthetics of having a 9ft wide screen hanging from the ceiling when not in use and having to pull it down everytime i want to watch a movie( I can't aford an electric screen).Also these screens can suffer damage in use(walls don't).

Have you guys who have screens ever projected onto a white/light coloured wall if so how much better is your screen.

I am prepared to buy a screen as long as I am going to see a decent improvement over my wall,I can only spend around £250/300 and I want a 106" diagonal screen for that.

What do you guys think?

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    When I set up my first PJ, I fired the image onto a wall similar to yours. I had a builder in the house at the time and I asked him to help me put the screen up, ensuring it was level.

As we began the set up, he told me that he thought that I had wasted my money on the said screen as he thought that the wall looked great. However, during the hanging of the screen I lowered it and the picture leapt out even more, leading the builder to take back his comment :lesson:

The colours were bolder, with more detail and better contrast.

However I would say that the screen definately highlights possible picture flaws, and I definately became more aware of the vertical banding on the first Sanyo Z1.

Its very subjective, but I prefer the screen.

Finally, I got my screen from www.intoav.com

Its a 5' 8 electric grandview, also available in manual wind.

I hope that this helps.

Captain Benefit.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely recommend a screen over a painted wall. A "home made" screen is also an option but an electric model can't be beaten.

:smoke:

4. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've been using my 8-foot blackout material rollerblind for a screen since last September, and it's served me well - not bad for £80 + delivery. I was sceptical that a "proper" (read: expensive) screen was worth the outlay. However, recently I had a demo of the Sanyo Z1, and I got the chance to compare a while wall to a nice Da-Lite screen. The wall looked very good, but when aimed at the screen, the image just lept out at you - really stunning!

Needless to say, my next upgrade may just be a proper screen... :)

Dunc

5. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The black surround of a screen helps the percieved contrast levels.

I spent £600 on an electric draper (9' diag) which hurt, as my projector was only a £1200 ae100.

Over a year and 1/2 later, I cannot fault the screen, one of the pieces of my kit that has really delivered. it is still in perfect nick, and always makes me smile when it drops down from the ceiling.

I'm going to upgrade the proj, and am happy that I know the screen will last me more years.

6. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    if you have the time and motivation, the DIY route can not only be cost-saving but very rewarding. I had the wood already but the screen material (blackout blind from fabric store) and fittings cost me about £15 and it took me a day to construct.

I'm very satisfied with the result - worth giving a try, if it doesent work out you havent lost much......

7. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi Kbfern
    I used to project onto an icestrom 6 painted wall, but boy I couldn't believe the difference when i moved my grandview 92x52, better contast and so much more depth to the picture.
    My advice is buy it now and you will think why did i wait so long
    www.intoav.com good prices and first class service :)

:

8. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I had a demo today and the screen in use was a 'electric owl.'

Man what a screen :eek:

It was as flat as a pancake when it came out if the ceiling.

Certainly worth considering.

Regards,

Captain Benefit