1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PJ screen choice. Help needed...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Off The Fence, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Off The Fence

Off The Fence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi folks

After about 2 years of lurking the forums, I've finally caved in & ordered a Z2 (another one bites the dust).

So now I've got to sort out a screen - pronto. Here's what I need:

1. Manual pulldown (I'm lucky I got spening approval for the PJ from my wife as it is, so tab-tensioning electric goodness is off the menu).

2. Sensible price (see above).

3. 100-110 inch diagonal (16:9)

4. Ceiling mount (it's going in front of a bay window).

Now, having looked around a bit, I've sort of ruled out Draper (they wrinkle - apparently) and I'm kinda settling on a Da-Lite.

Either model B or C (don't really tell the difference??), with CSR (do I need it though??), HCMW finish.

Can anyone who's got a Da-Lite setup along these lines pass comment?

Can anyone perhaps suggest an alternative?

Also, I'm having a hard time finding an online price (or UK supplier). Can anyone reccomend one & maybe give me a rough idea of what I might be looking at, cost wise?

Thanks in advance

2. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've pre-ordered a Z2 as well and this morning I've ordered a DRH electric screen. 78" diagonal for £383, I was happy with that.

They do a 104" diag manual one for £178.

:)

3. Seahorse

Seahorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I literally installed my new screen on Thusday. I bought the the Draper Luma 106" diagonal from AV Sales. Though not strictly designed for ceiling mounting (in facr it comes with NO MOUNTS at all, just two holes either end & two on the back) for £237 delivered. It is spring loaded so a doddle to put up. Picture is fine from my AE100. It is supposed to be 92" wide -7'6" according to my calculator but is actually 10" according to my tape measure :confused:

Still, 2 days between ordering & delivery (including a FUBAR with the bank, we just moved & the address hasn't caught) get AV Sale a Gold Star in my book.

Oh, I fitted it to the ceiling using two 63 mm right angle corner braces from Homebase, 4 x 2" woodscrews to the joists & two 5mm diam short bolts...:cool:

4. Off The Fence

Off The Fence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Mike

Followed your link to AV Sales. It says: "They come complete with standard close fitting wall or ceiling mount plate". Guess by that they mean 2 holes:rolleyes:

I was tempted by that one myself, except I've read some scare storys about wrinkles. 1 guy even put sand in the pole at the bottom to pull the material tighter...

Does it look flat to you?

Anyway, I'm guessing by the lack of responses no one's got a Da-Lite screen anyway (??) , so I'll probably end up with a Draper screen after all.

Anyone know the going rate for a bag of sand?

:)

5. Seahorse

Seahorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The surface of the screen is textured, like a fine version of the grain on your car dashbaord. It is pretty flat to look at, but there is a slight curve at the very bottom, the last 2 inches or so. This is pretty covered by the metal 'weight' at the bottom and the black border. Considering that it may have been tightly rolled up for ages, I figure is will drop out with use. Other than that is seems straight as an arrow.

Oh, I'm of to Home Base this morning, I'll let you know about the sand...:laugh:

6. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Try The Widescreen Centre.

http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/screen.html

I got my 96" x 96" screen from them for about £240. Its a good unity gain screen, and would hang flat if it wasn't for the TV behind it!

Comes with brackets to allow wall or ceiling mounting.

Bill

7. Seahorse

Seahorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Erm, 96" x 96" is not exactly 16:9. Doh!...;)

I had one in Italy (which I had to return to the owner when I moved in Sep :( ) It was useful for 4:3 TV stuff, F1, Motot GPO etc, but not so good for 2:35:1 DVDs. You get two fat grey strips. Thats why its replacement is 16:9 with black borders.

Now if Komplett would only get their finger out and deliver the bracket for the projector , which is currently balanced on some books on the window ledge...

8. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    True, but we are talking cost effective here.

The widescreen centre also sell 16:9 screens if you want to limit yourself to that aspect ratio.

The screen suits my purposes. It is attached to the ceiling (9' high) but is long enough to drop down to a level close to the floor, so that I don't have to get a crick in my neck by looking at a picture practically on the ceiling. A significant proportion of the TV that I watch is 4*3 and with this screen I can get a nice big image rather than the little patch in the middle you would get if it was a 16*9 screen.

The grey bars don't bother me much. I keep thinking about blacking out the top quarter, but it's not really worth it.

Bill

9. Seahorse

Seahorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm not sure I understand the cost effective bit, they are within £3 of each other, but, if your main use is TV pictures it kind of makes sense. That said, there is a lot of 16:9 programmes broadcast these days.

My primary use is DVDs, so the aspect was a no brainer, plus I have a normal (?) height ceiling - i.e. I can reach it on tip-toes & I'm 5'10"...:laugh:

10. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I've got a Draper Luma 106" which I'm using with A PTAE200. Gives a great picture and found it very easy to fix to the wall. With the screen down in normal lighting conditions I can spot some slight ripples/wrinkles but haven't yet noticed them when watching films in a blacked out room. There's a thread from a few days back that suggests adding extra ballast to the bottom pole to pull the screen down with more force but I don't plan to try that unless I notice the problem.

11. homerdog

homerdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I tried the sand trick on my Draper 7' screen and it hasn't really helped. The wrinkles have just moved to different places and I can't be bothered to keep on mucking around with it :(

I wonder if it's too late to exchange it? :rolleyes:

12. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    If the wrinkles are bad then I would say you should at least be able to get the screen swapped (maybe you were unlucky and another one won't be so bad). Otherwise I guess it's down to a bit of goodwill from the retailer. Worth asking though.

13. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes the Drapers are Quite good. you will notice a thread some people slagging them off. then they buy the da-lite pay 3 times the amount and they all have problems with them.MMMMMM.

Loads of problems, how sad

I no what I would do.

Darren

14. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    In my experience the wrinkles on the Draper seem to lessen over time, I have the luma 92 as a cheap first screen and I have to say I am very impressed (apart from the dreadful smell when they first come out of the box!)

15. Robbie Gnome

Robbie Gnome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, glad to see a few people have read my piece on using sand on the Draper Luma range of screens. Tried it first on a 92" worked quite well, works even better on my 106" I know we shouldn't have to do this but if your only paying sub £300 pounds for a large screen you cant grumble. Work for a South Coast Custom Installer and it is not unusual for us to fit Stewart Screens that cost in excess of £ 4000 to £ 8000 :eek: Any one having Grannies Wrinkles :zonked: on thier Drapers should give the sand trick a wizz, cheap as chips, even if it is a bit fiddly.

16. Seahorse

Seahorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I too am delighted with mine. I believe they will drop out with use. Besides, the only time you can see it is close up from abou 45 degrees!

My wife loves the smell BTW...:zonked:

17. Wilster

Wilster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am considering my screen options for my pre ordered Z2. Could you not tension a manual screen by putting a couple of small identical weights (1/2kg or so) on either side of the bar at the bottom? Surely easier than filling with sand!

18. Seahorse

Seahorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It is not an issue for me. You cannot tell from directly in front on my screen, only at angles in the region of 45 Deg. Besides it only affects the bottom couple of inches, not normally the most interesting part of a film.

I have no intention of adding balast of any sort...:lesson:

19. Robbie Gnome

Robbie Gnome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seahorse, funny you mention the smell of the screen, reminds me of a play space suit my parents bought me back in the early 70's. Amazing the sensory memory hasn't turned into some kind of fetish :devil: Tell your wife she is in good company for liking the smell !!

20. Off The Fence

Off The Fence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well...

Just got a quote for an 106 inch Da-Lite Model C, with the HCMW finish (MW = Matte White...although the website says "With its specially designed gray base material and reflective top surface"...go figure). 1.1 Gain.

£393 inc vat, delivery etc (air freshner sold seperately tho...)

Sounds perfect for the Z2...and not *that* much more expesive that the Draper (if you say it fast enough)...

tempting...very tempting...

21. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes that looks a good price for that size? is that inc vat.

who was that with

D

22. Off The Fence

Off The Fence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    www.AudioVisual.co.uk

Never used them before (and couldn't find any refs from anyone who has)... which is why I'm a teeny bit hessitant...but I'm sure it'll have worn off by the morning :)

23. Seahorse

Seahorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    She likes the odour of new car interiors too, I hate 'em...

24. homerdog

homerdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Here is a picture of the wrinkles in my Draper, NexNix have kindly offered to replace it and hopefully the new one will be a lot better.

Is anyone elses Draper as bad?

Attached Files:

25. Seahorse

Seahorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No, that said, I doubt they make any difference viewed head-on...:confused:

26. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's pretty bad but I've seen worse :eek:

Best of luck with the replacement :)

27. homerdog

homerdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    You must be joking! Anytime there is a straight line on the screen it looks more like a wavy line. It was just so distracting (even more so than rainbows :eek: ).

28. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Something funny's going on here ...

I just got a HCMW 106" Model C HDTV (without CSR) from the same place and it cost me £447.68 inc. Can you confirm that your quote is definitely for the HCMW not just Matte White. I'll not be happy if I've been overcharged by £50. Did they send you a proforma invoice?

Here's the relevant bit from mine ...

[​IMG]

:confused:

29. Off The Fence

Off The Fence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Certainly can...It turned up on Wednesday :D

Haven't put it up yet; that's a job for this weekend. No rush as my Z2's not turned up yet...:mad:

On the plus side, pretty speedy service (for anyone else who might be interested).

Oh, and I know they sent the right one as it says HCMW on the (rather large) box.

It seems in this game prices can go up as well as down :rolleyes:

I guess quotes are plucked out of the air on a per-punter basis (there's no pricing on the website), so as long as you're happy to pay what they quote, they're perfectly within their rights... :(

As long as someone else doesn't get it cheaper & you find out, that is... :p

Anyways, you tried it out yet?

30. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Not hung mine yet. Bit hacked off now about the price difference though.