1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pj or pj + HCPC ???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mikeaitch, Jun 3, 2003.

1. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hi chaps/chapesses

OK, so I'm ready to upgrade at last, having sold my HS1 to a colleague who has now got the bug.

I've been reading the board for a bit- there are a lot of different ways to go but in the end for me it all boils down to this;

Am I better off with a 2k projector (HS10 say) and a HCPC for 1.5k

Or a 3.5k projector TW1000/W12/ HT1000/ Themescene56 etc etc?

I can pretty much completely darken the room, have an electric screen 6ft wide and use the pj for everything bar games, and that may come soon. throw distance 10-11 ft approx via hole in wall. Don't see rainbows myself, but others might?

I know that the HCPC will give other benefits- web, pvr etc, but what will give the best overall pq

What d'ya think????

2. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi mike
    in that environment then i reckon the hs10 and the htpc is probably the best route. the only issues are that
    a]you need to contend with is the noise, if you can hush box the hs10 or put it in a different room then this is the ideal situation.
    b] the hs10 will need calibrating and filtering to give good blacks.
    c] the htpc needs careful planning to deliver ease of use and reliability, and the more that you try and do with it (e.g. PVR) then the more tweeking etc might be required.

3. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks Webloader

Does that mean that the HCPC can overcome the disadvantages that lcd has over the dmd technology?

ease of use is not too bad with the HCPC I've seen, the Uvem system, the hard bit is the comparison- on its own its quite impressive .

Can you or anyone recommend a system which definitely works well with the HS10? I know Kramer has one.

Ive built an alcove into the wall immediately behind the viewing area for thr pj. is there any special glass that won't distort the colours or picture or will any glass be ok?

4. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think with HTPC, its generally accepted that the graphics card should be an ATI Radion with DVI output. The ATI 9000 is pretty well respected for its picture quality and also the fact that it doesn't have a fan (so its quiet). I think most people build their own so at least, I can't recommend a pre-built machine.

Best place to ask is in the HTPC forum on this site.

I think several people are projecting through glass (Comer? Kramer?) now with the HS10. I don't recall them using any special type of glass but I'm sure they'll pop by and let you know....

Alex

5. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks for that Alex

At the moment its looking like HCPC/HS10

Nobody yet to speak up for the DLPs ?

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Hi Mike

The DLP's offer a much smoother image albeit a bit softer and do give a stunning result. Problem is really down to whether you (or any family/friends) suffer from rainbows. They can be very distracting and in the most severe cases cause headaches, eyestrain and even nausea.

As to the LCD's, the HS10 is supposedly a fantastic machine that I am sure you will be over the moon with but you need to ensure the fan noise and loooonnnngggggg throw is suitable for you.

If it were me I would go with one of the new TW100's which can now be bought for £2200. Higher contrast than the Sony, brighter (in real life not spec - read projector central) quieter (by quite a margin) and also a shorter throw lens which means bigger picture at standard throw or shorter distance between screen and lens. For me, at least, it would be no contest between these two and I would pick the TW100 every time. Oh, you also get a 3 year on-site/swap-out warranty with the TW100.

HTH

7. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hi messiah

At last! someone to speak up for the DLPs!

Not quite sure how a 'softer' image can look better- surely that means less detail??

I don't see rainbows but its hard to tell if others do with no dems available locally.

My 6ft wide screen cannot be increased as it's fully integrated into the chimney breast/ceiling so as not to be seen when not in use.the pj will be behind me at about 10-11 ft from the screen surface. will the short throw pjs allow me to keep them behind me in the wall?

And will DLPs be further improved as an upgrade in the future?

In 10 days I'll have the money burning a hole in my pocket- if I buy the pj now the new other half won't have a clue, if I leave it till she moves in, well, you know the story......

Does anyone know where I can get a demo of the HS10 with or without the HCPC? I live in Stoke on Trent and work Leicester/Loughbrough/ Burton..